Author Topic: Beginner questions  (Read 2840 times)

Offline samuraijohn_

• IceShanty Rookie
Beginner questions
« on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:08 AM »
Hi everyone! 

I am new to ice fishing and have a couple questions. 

1. If I go to a location listed here, https://wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/ice-fishing.html   do I have to pay to fish their or can I just walk out, dig my hole, and fish? 

2. Does anyone know any good locations right now that are frozen over? 

3. Would it be enough to dig a hole in the ice with a hand axe? 

Thanks!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Beginner questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:14 AM »
1. Buy a FISHING LICENSE!
2. go to a frozen lake where you see others already fishing.
3. Buy an ice chisel. (an axe will not work unless you want to cut open a man sized hole.)
4. Buy bait. Shiners will do. Available at same place you buy license and chisel.
5. Lower bait into ice hole and wait.
Have fun!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:21 AM »
I would start doing some research. A couple simple youtube.com videos should give you a visual idea of how things work.
Tight Lines!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:31 AM »
1. Buy a FISHING LICENSE!
2. go to a frozen lake where you see others already fishing.
3. Buy an ice chisel. (an axe will not work unless you want to cut open a man sized hole.)
4. Buy bait. Shiners will do. Available at same place you buy license and chisel.
5. Lower bait into ice hole and wait.
Have fun!

What do you lower the bait with?  ???

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:37 AM »
😂😂
Wait there's ice????

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:54 AM »
First, welcome! :tipup:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=351971.0
A little advice for new guys that I said in response to another new guy.

In ice fishing, we don’t “dig” holes. We drill them with an ice auger (just call them augers) or chisel them out with a spud bar. A spud bar is necessary to properly inspect safe ice conditions. 1 inch of ice can look the same as 20 inches on the surface.

You would lower the bait into the water attached to a hook that is attached to line that is attached to a rod and reel or a tip-up. Get an auger. An affordable 6 inch from Eskimo would last you years and won’t break the bank. Get a spud bar. In ice less then 6 inches a spud bar would be all you need to make a hole. Make sure you have clothing appropriate to keep you warm outside in cold weather.

Stick around, learn a thing or two, and you’ll be reeling in monsters in no time.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:46 AM »

Missed that one! ;D

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:53 AM »
First, welcome! :tipup:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=351971.0
A little advice for new guys that I said in response to another new guy.

Get a spud bar. In ice less then 6 inches a spud bar would be all you need to make a hole. Make sure you have clothing appropriate to keep you warm outside in cold weather.

Stick around, learn a thing or two, and you’ll be reeling in monsters in no time.

In the days before augers all we had were chisels or "spud bar" as some call them. We "cut" (not drilled) many a hole through 36" of ice (and more) on Winnipesaukee in those days...you were down to your long johns by the time you finished a hole it was such hard work. Nowadays, ice fishermen are spoiled (INCLUDING ME!) with all kinds of modern equipment. The thing is...fish don't care about any of it except chasing your bait (lowered into the hole on some kind of fishing line, trap or rod and reel)  ;D

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2019, 01:54 PM »
In the days before augers all we had were chisels or "spud bar" as some call them. We "cut" (not drilled) many a hole through 36" of ice (and more) on Winnipesaukee in those days...you were down to your long johns by the time you finished a hole it was such hard work. Nowadays, ice fishermen are spoiled (INCLUDING ME!) with all kinds of modern equipment. The thing is...fish don't care about any of it except chasing your bait (lowered into the hole on some kind of fishing line, trap or rod and reel)  ;D

Thanks Mo I thought I was wasting my money on line and hooks.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2019, 02:00 PM »

Thanks Mo I thought I was wasting my money on line and hooks.

;D

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2019, 03:22 PM »

Just throw it in the hole. It will sink all by itself. Don’t use a hook and you don’t have to worry about cleaning your catch at the end of the day. You already know that Denny, come on!😜😎

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2019, 03:52 PM »
I think the new guy was a troll ! :)

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2019, 03:59 PM »
Gotta be, no samurai worth a damn is using a Axe to dig
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2019, 04:31 PM »

No doubt...I figured I’d play because no one else was...

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2019, 05:06 PM »
Gotta be, no samurai worth a damn is using a Axe to dig

Nooh you use your sword. Unguuh!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2019, 05:08 PM »
Just throw it in the hole. It will sink all by itself. Don’t use a hook and you don’t have to worry about cleaning your catch at the end of the day. You already know that Denny, come on!😜😎

Aye Captain more time for doing the things that really matter.  >:D

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2019, 05:18 PM »
Nooh you use your sword. Unguuh!

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Live by the sword, DIG by the sword

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:48 PM »
A true samurai would be one with the ice. He would have an opening  form in any way that was needed.

Offline 459475

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:50 PM »
dig a hole. funny

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:51 PM »
A true samurai would be one with the ice. He would have an opening  form in any way that was needed.

;D

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2019, 07:04 PM »
Oh boy, I really love this forum.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2019, 01:25 AM »

Lol, maybe. We all started somewhere and with these up and coming yourubers out there (I’ve seen some big ones say axes are good for marking holes), there’s a lot of bad information on ice fishing out there. I gave the OP the benefit of the doubt because I’d hate to be on the ice and see this guy come out completely clueless. And, if he was serious I didn’t want to undermine him. You know, a guy just trying to learn and everyone is making jokes (I admit I held back). It can really put a damper in the learning process.

I guess we may never know........lol
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2019, 01:35 AM »

I completely understand how spoiled ice anglers are now a days and it’s fantastic. Those guys, you, are some tough dudes to go through all of that. I would never do it as I’m sure most guys today wouldn’t lol. I’m not sure if I’ve ever even been on 36” of ice (central Michigan). I also completely ageee that the fish couldn’t care less about what gear you’re using. Those are just perks for the angler. And I love every one of them. My Milwaukee/Lazer setup is one of the best things I’ve bought for ice fishing along with using sonar. I grew up camping on a hole or two all day and hand lining schooley rods. Used a 6” mora. I honestly couldn’t imagine having to use anything less.  :tipup:

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2019, 04:01 AM »
Ask a guy on here to take you..it’s the easiest way to start..I took a guy over vacation who wanted to take a class but this was more hands on ...by the end of the day the training wheels were off and the traps wrapped backwards..lol..only a few..he did win the lunker pool..I can’t imagine cutting holes with an axe..I’m sure it could be done
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2019, 04:41 AM »
haha I'm dying
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2019, 06:35 AM »
I completely understand how spoiled ice anglers are now a days and it’s fantastic. Those guys, you, are some tough dudes to go through all of that. I would never do it as I’m sure most guys today wouldn’t lol. I’m not sure if I’ve ever even been on 36” of ice (central Michigan). I also completely ageee that the fish couldn’t care less about what gear you’re using. Those are just perks for the angler. And I love every one of them. My Milwaukee/Lazer setup is one of the best things I’ve bought for ice fishing along with using sonar. I grew up camping on a hole or two all day and hand lining schooley rods. Used a 6” mora. I honestly couldn’t imagine having to use anything less.  :tipup:

And I love my Ion with 6” and 8” bits...and to  be without our Marcum cams would be terrible!  ;D

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2019, 09:11 AM »

Mow, when I started reading that, I was waiting for the "uphill, both ways, barefoot" part.  :roflmao: ;)2
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2019, 09:18 AM »
Mow, when I started reading that, I was waiting for the "uphill, both ways, barefoot" part.  :roflmao: ;)2

LOLOL! Not quite THAT bad Guinea but we did trudge a good ways out from Wolfeboro unless the vehicles were used to get to Little Barndoor!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2019, 03:14 PM »
That was me, Steph!  ;)
Seriously, when young, had to walk down a big hill from the farm (home) and back up the hill to school. Could not walk across, cuz our old man would beat us for climbing  over (ruining) his fences.
Now that I'm reminiscing and speaking of spuds,.....at 8 or 10 years old, (no ice fisherman in the family) nailed an apple crate to an old radio flyer sled, with my skimmer, tin bait bucket, 2 tip ups and lunch bag, walked two + miles down the tracks and some more on a river that "looked like a good spot"  ;) .
Proceeded to chip out a hole in 24 +" of ice. Yep, stripped off a lot of clothes in the process. I knew why that rope was at the top of the chisel but it was chafing my wrist with every thump. Well, you all know what happened, I hit the bottom of the ice and my chisel hit the bottom of the river.

It was a long walk home!
       (The end) 

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2019, 03:16 PM »
Can’t say you didn’t try Richard!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.