Author Topic: Ice fishing plastic molds  (Read 9058 times)

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice fishing plastic molds
« on: Aug 18, 2018, 05:58 PM »
Just got into making plastics and wondering if any of you guys have any ideas where to buy molds for Ice Fishng style baits? I have seen a few on the web but would just like some more ideas. Thanks!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Ice fishing plastic molds
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2018, 07:55 PM »
Take a look at (Do-it mold) and tackle underground,  there are more

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2018, 08:14 PM »
Lurecraft
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2018, 08:17 PM »
Just got into making plastics and wondering if any of you guys have any ideas where to buy molds for Ice Fishng style baits? I have seen a few on the web but would just like some more ideas. Thanks!

What kind of plastics are you looking for? Panfish?

I've got a lot of molds from do-it, and one or two from Jacobs/lure craft.

Word of advice. Jet the metal molds, and get a metal injector. the get The MF Super soft ....... While the plastic will rip easier with the super soft, it also gives the lures a lot more action.

These are the panfish plastics I make. Just a heads up, you'll want a do it molds small ball jig head mold without a collar on it. RED & BLACK are must colors.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2018, 07:59 AM »
 Thanks for the replies guys. Pretty much what I was looking for is in those pictures. Good to know that red and black are hot colors! I have enjoyed building plastic worms and such this summer. I have been killing the smallmouth bass with them this year! I have been pouring jigs for many years And it has been fun to put my own plastics  on them to catch fish. Wanting to do the same through the ice for Crappie and perch. I am pouring some double tail grubs that glow in the dark for Burbot at night. Take care and have a great rest of the summer!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2019, 05:12 PM »
Just started playing with my new mold, gonna love making my own plastics.

Offline dearjimschmidt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2019, 09:07 PM »

I've been working with lure craft the past 2 years to develope my ice fishing bait its a one off custom mold but does 18 soft baits per injection.  The cost per custom mold is anywhere from 700-1200 from them but they can do whatever it is you envision.

I have 1 ice bait mold and one bass/wally bait mold
River City Baits - Fort Wayne Indiana

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2019, 12:29 AM »
I've been working with lure craft the past 2 years to develope my ice fishing bait its a one off custom mold but does 18 soft baits per injection.  The cost per custom mold is anywhere from 700-1200 from them but they can do whatever it is you envision.

I have 1 ice bait mold and one bass/wally bait mold
That seems a bit spendy.
You should consider contacting Bob LaLonde at CNCmoldsnstuff.
http://www.cncmolds.com/webstore/
I had him make me a custom saltwater jig mold.
A two cavity 24oz jig mold and all in cad work to finished mold it cost me $300.
He can pretty much make whatever you desire on his CNC Mills.
He specializes in lead and soft plastic molds.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline dearjimschmidt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2019, 02:46 PM »
That seems a bit spendy.
You should consider contacting Bob LaLonde at CNCmoldsnstuff.
http://www.cncmolds.com/webstore/
I had him make me a custom saltwater jig mold.
A two cavity 24oz jig mold and all in cad work to finished mold it cost me $300.
He can pretty much make whatever you desire on his CNC Mills.
He specializes in lead and soft plastic molds.

That's definitely a better price for sure, sadly my molds are done, I'll for sure consider it before I get another.  One thing I do like about LureCraft is they are only about 45 minutes from where I live and I was able to meet with them and discuss my ideas in person with them.  I'm always open to new places because price is always a moving point. 

Here are some recent baits I made.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2019, 03:36 PM »
That's definitely a better price for sure, sadly my molds are done, I'll for sure consider it before I get another.  One thing I do like about LureCraft is they are only about 45 minutes from where I live and I was able to meet with them and discuss my ideas in person with them.  I'm always open to new places because price is always a moving point. 

Here are some recent baits I made.

Yeah Bob lives in Arizona so not exactly close to those of us who icefish.
But he was good to work with.
After getting my ideas and designing them on CAD software he sent me a video showing my lure in a 3D drawing from all angles and with dimensions etc.
Once I approved it he cut the mold and cast some samples to insure it worked properly.
Then sent it off to me
I have CNC molds from three different mold makers and overall I'm happy with all of them.
I must have 25+ CNC made lead molds .
Nothing wrong with Do-It molds but I love making unique stuff in the CNC molds.
KasilofChrisN

Offline dearjimschmidt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2019, 05:15 PM »
Yeah Bob lives in Arizona so not exactly close to those of us who icefish.
But he was good to work with.
After getting my ideas and designing them on CAD software he sent me a video showing my lure in a 3D drawing from all angles and with dimensions etc.
Once I approved it he cut the mold and cast some samples to insure it worked properly.
Then sent it off to me
I have CNC molds from three different mold makers and overall I'm happy with all of them.
I must have 25+ CNC made lead molds .
Nothing wrong with Do-It molds but I love making unique stuff in the CNC molds.

Yeah do-it is good for quick simple baits, same with the lurecrafts main inventory. I only have 3 custom molds as well they cost.

Offline dearjimschmidt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2022, 09:15 AM »
got a few new molds in this past summer and have some new goodies poured up.  has anyone else been making baits for the ice season?

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2022, 10:14 AM »
I got a new honey worm mold that I need to shoot a few of, other than that I'm pretty much set for plastics, unless I run out.

Offline dearjimschmidt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2022, 03:06 PM »
is that the Berkley single cavity one?

I got a new honey worm mold that I need to shoot a few of, other than that I'm pretty much set for plastics, unless I run out.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2022, 03:20 PM »
It's one from Ukraine, I got off eBay, it's a single cavity, been thinking of getting the egg sample one, but don't use very many eggs.

Offline Rockfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2022, 01:37 AM »
Full disclosure, I know absolutely nothing about bait molds and the like but just happened to see this thread and it gave me an idea. There is a specific style and size to my favorite soft plastic, which is a shad bodied style. It was originally marketed in 1.5”, 2”, 3”, 4”, and 5” but in the last year when I went to replenish my supply of the 4” sized which is the one I’m particular about. Ive found that size to be extra versatile and threw them at everything. Smallmouths, largemouths, walleye, peacock bass, redfish, spotted sea trout, flounder, striped bass, it caught them all. But when I went to reorder them, I couldn’t find the 4”ers anywhere. I finally called the company and was told they discontinued that size because they weren’t selling. So, I scrounged around and was able to eventually locate one package and ordered it off eBay. It was from some guy living in Spain of all places. So, my questions are; one, would it be possible to use the ones I got to make a mold, and two, would I be breaking any copyright laws? I mean, it’s a discontinued model. They rarely if ever bring something like that back. Thanks folks for your consideration.

Best,
Rock

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2022, 02:59 AM »
Full disclosure, I know absolutely nothing about bait molds and the like but just happened to see this thread and it gave me an idea. There is a specific style and size to my favorite soft plastic, which is a shad bodied style. It was originally marketed in 1.5”, 2”, 3”, 4”, and 5” but in the last year when I went to replenish my supply of the 4” sized which is the one I’m particular about. Ive found that size to be extra versatile and threw them at everything. Smallmouths, largemouths, walleye, peacock bass, redfish, spotted sea trout, flounder, striped bass, it caught them all. But when I went to reorder them, I couldn’t find the 4”ers anywhere. I finally called the company and was told they discontinued that size because they weren’t selling. So, I scrounged around and was able to eventually locate one package and ordered it off eBay. It was from some guy living in Spain of all places. So, my questions are; one, would it be possible to use the ones I got to make a mold, and two, would I be breaking any copyright laws? I mean, it’s a discontinued model. They rarely if ever bring something like that back. Thanks folks for your consideration.

Best,
Rock
It Might be possible to make your own mold.
I don't hear of too many guys making their own mold for soft plastics unless it's an open pour silicone  or plaster mold.
Some mold makers won't make an exact copy of someone else's bait unless it's a common thing like a grub tail or something similar.
It isn't copyright laws that will get you in trouble it's the patent laws.
The copyright law would come into effect if you were using the same name for your baits and selling them.
But if it's a patented bait and you are caught selling them they will usually send you a cease and desist letter in the mail from their attorney's office and usually at that point most people quit producing them for sale rather than go to court..
But if you're not selling that shouldn't be a big issue.
Have you looked at some of the soft plastic bait molds already out there?
Having a custom-made one is going to be expensive.
But you might find one that is close enough that's already on the market.
KasilofChrisN

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2022, 07:05 PM »

Best,
Rock

Take a picture of the bait with measurements e-mail bait molds and they will make an aluminum mold for you. I had them make a 4 spoon ice fishing spoon mold that had 4 very popular style ice spoons.....$100 shipped from Ukraine and it blew me away how good his mold was.

Offline Rockfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:59 PM »
Thanks. I probably should’ve known that since that’s actually the area of law my brother specializes in. Believe me, I have been keeping an eye out. Part of what makes these plastics unique is not just their shape, bit the soft plastic itself is a bit tougher than the average soft plastic, so it lasts longer than others that quickly get shredded by say sea trout or flounder. I like the idea of the molds suggested but it sort of sounds like that area of the world may erupt soon, which I’d bet would put a damper on stuff like this. The input is definitely appreciated

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2022, 12:03 AM »
Thanks. I probably should’ve known that since that’s actually the area of law my brother specializes in. Believe me, I have been keeping an eye out. Part of what makes these plastics unique is not just their shape, bit the soft plastic itself is a bit tougher than the average soft plastic, so it lasts longer than others that quickly get shredded by say sea trout or flounder. I like the idea of the molds suggested but it sort of sounds like that area of the world may erupt soon, which I’d bet would put a damper on stuff like this. The input is definitely appreciated
You can get plastisol of different hardnesses.
You can also get hardener that you add to your plastisol to make it a bit harder and tougher.
But there is a balance between getting a tail to move properly and being too hard.
So you may have to experiment with different plastisols and hardeners to get it just right.
KasilofChrisN

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.