Author Topic: Kokanee Recipes?  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Ice Foot

• IceShanty Rookie
Kokanee Recipes?
« on: Dec 31, 2011, 12:04 PM »
Does anyone have any good kokanee recipes?  Can they be used in chowder or battered and fried?

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kokanee Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2011, 02:17 PM »
Super fish when smoked. brine = 1 gallon water + 1 cup Kosher salt + 1 cup white, beet sugar (not imported cane sugar).  beet sugar is made here in America. locally grown, owned and operated. just makes sence compared to the ''import'' stuff.     usually kokanee are small like a trout or pink salmon.   they dry out quickly and take the salt of the brine quite fast.   brine no more than 12 hours.   when smoking, bring to an external temp of 180 degrees for one hour to kill bacteria. then, choke off the smoker but, allow air flow.   dead air makes your ''smokin's'' bitter due to cresolt (sp) build-up.  when the fillets (whole sides-skin on) are a light tan color, spray with ''pam'' and sprinkle with old bay seasoning, lawerys or some sort of ''taste''.  experement and enjoy.    wish i had some of those tasty fish now to run thru my smoker.   

Offline Ice Foot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:12 AM »
Thanks for the recipe!  I'll give that a try.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:45 AM »
I have eaten them smoked, canned and fried.  Its all good.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2019, 08:06 PM »
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am looking for everyone's favorite way to prepare kokanee other than smoking.  I've got my brine down and love them smoked, but would like another way to prepare and enjoy them.  Does anyone bake them and, if so, what are your go-to spices?  I certainly don't mind flouring them and frying them in a skillet, but that's how I typically prepare my perch fillets and was looking for something different.  Thanks!

Offline Turtle Thompson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2019, 02:46 AM »
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am looking for everyone's favorite way to prepare kokanee other than smoking.  I've got my brine down and love them smoked, but would like another way to prepare and enjoy them.  Does anyone bake them and, if so, what are your go-to spices?  I certainly don't mind flouring them and frying them in a skillet, but that's how I typically prepare my perch fillets and was looking for something different.  Thanks!

Well any trout that I bake, I'll take the whole fish (gutted, clean and beheaded) season lightly inside with pepper, then stuff about 1-3 pieces of the really nice thick cut apple or alder smoked bacon, nitrite free works good too. Anything that's wood smoked for bacon really helps the fish pop, even the maple leaves some after tones. Talk about moist. I don't bake at a super high heat either about 350. Season to taste and bam.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2019, 07:12 PM »
Probably not what you are looking for but I usually smoke or can them. Just today I popped open a jar that I did an experiment of putting some Franks Red Hot in the jars when I canned it. It didn't last long. Buffalo Salmon is delicious if your into that kind of thing.

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2019, 03:37 PM »
I've done them a few ways. I've taken whole dressed fish (gutted and head removed) and filled the cavity with dressing or other things (like a veg/potato hash) and then wrapped in foil and baked. Just this week I took some decent fillets with skin still on. Then brushed the meat side with a fine layer of mustard and seasoned with salt, pepper, and dill. Sauteed in a pan skin side down and flip briefly to get some color on the meat. Did the same basic thing another day but with Cajun seasonings instead. Served on a bed of a veg/sweet potato hash (sweet potato, spinach, onion, bell pepper and mushrooms). To elevate to another level I'll lay a sunny side up egg on top sometimes. Throw on a few dashes of Crystal Hot Sauce.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2019, 03:40 PM »
I've only had the pleasure of catching them once, back a few summers ago in Colorado. I tried some just cured raw, some on BBQ, and others pan fried. All were delicious, it's got to be one of the tastiest salmonid species.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.