Author Topic: Townsend Fish Skinner  (Read 814 times)

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Townsend Fish Skinner
« on: Jan 28, 2008, 09:53 AM »
This was started on another thread but thought I would retart it if ok.

I was going to post something about the Townsend Fish Skinner then I found that I had been beaten to the punch alreay. I would have to agree with crowbait on this one- absolutely on of the best inventions ever!!! I am 29 and my dad has used one ever since I can remember and I have one of my own. Slick as 1-2-3 when it comes to skinning and deribbing fish like walleye, perch, n gills, etc.
If you havn't heard if it or have heard of it and never used one you should check into looking at one. It will make cleaning those fish easy, faster, and a little more enjoyable, especially when you have lots to clean. 
Deffinately check out ebay or lookup Townsend Fish Skinner online to read more about them if you can find any info.
New- they are around $30, but worth every penny if you clean alot of fish- especially when deribbing. One of the best investment I have ever made in my fishing arsenal.

Here it is. The company is out of Des Moines, Iowa

For those who have one
My dad and his fishing buddy did this with theirs many years ago to modify the grip on the handle and was wondering if anyone else has done so. They found a way to secure the TFS and slightly bend the TOP handle up to allow them more leverage or pressure when squeazing down on the handle with less effort. Works real slick!

Offline bitzlecocker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Townsend Fish Skinner
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2008, 10:49 AM »
I have never seen one.  I 'm gonna check it out, thanks for the restart.

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Townsend Fish Skinner
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:43 AM »
On the other thread a few people just asked about seeing if someone could show how to use it by maybe posting a youtube video, that would be handy, a good visual for those who might be confused to how it might work.

After cutting two length fillets. Take one fillet and gently pinch exposed end of skin (skin side up) between blade and roller(I usually start at the tail end(with tail already cut off), my dad starts at the other end). Turn wing handle clockwise to remove skin. I usually do the ribs 1st and then the skin. Ribs are done the same way. Pinch down where upper corner(or where easiest to begin) of ribs begin at the beginning of your fellet and turn. Removes the ribs and leaves the meat. Sometimes the ribs can be hard to pinch down on at first,  so I pinch down where they start and start turning and the roller will eventually catch them.
FAST and no waste of meat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.