Author Topic: 5 gallon pail modification!!  (Read 30808 times)

themongobongo

5 gallon pail modification!!
« on: Jan 08, 2003, 04:45 AM »
I will be asking you to complete a survey on a new product that I think you would enjoy and want.  The information collected will influence how I make my product, where I sell it, the quality in which they are made, different accessories you would prefer, the different models I would make, and most importantly a name?

The product in question is a modified five gallon bucket to suit the ice fishermans needs.  Almost all of us had the uncomfortable experience of the bucket and I want to change it with your help.  This is where I need you to tell me what you want!

How much are you willing to spend on a modified seat?
What accessories would you need to have?
Would you want a ready to go rig(pail, seat, storage, etc…)?
Would you want different models…example some with back support, some with more comfortable seats, some with extra storage?
Would you want extra storage in the seat away from the rest?
Where would you buy a product like this… example catalog, internet order, local baitshops?
Would you want a bait bucket inside?
Where would you advertise it?
Would you want a warranty?

These are all ideas, add new things and we will come up with the perfect product.

FINALLY WHAT WOULD THE NAME TO THE PRODUCT BE?

HELP THIS IS FOR A CLASS AT MY SCHOOL ANYTHING IS APPRECIATED!

Big_Mean

Re: 5 gallon pail modification!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2003, 02:38 PM »
FISHERMANS PAIL  ,   BUCKET BUDDY  ,TOTE ALL OR MAYBE PUT YOUR NAME - BUCKET  .  MAYBE RIG UP POCKET ON OUT SIDE. YOU MUST HAVE SOME IDEA ALREADY, I SAY MAKE UP YOUR IDEA AND LET A FEW PEOPLE TRY THEM OUT. MODIFY FROM THERE. THE SKY IS THE LIMIT. GOOD LUCK
                             BIG-MEAN

Buzzard_Wing

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2003, 05:49 PM »
Toilet seat is a useful option! :)
Padding is good.
Smooth ride, bucket glide!

Pikeymon

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2003, 04:52 AM »
Clip on back rest would be great too. ;D

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2003, 10:45 AM »
I would mount rod holders to the outside using pvc pipe.  Divide up the inside for tipups.  Room for a tackle box or bag would be nice as well.

I would call it "The Do-All Pail" or just "The Pail"  whatever suits your fancy...

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2005, 09:49 AM »
about 15 years ago i made a bucket wrap out of old jeans. i still use it too! if you send me a PM with your address i can snap a pic and send it to you. you mite get some ideas off of it.    ?
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2005, 02:53 PM »
bucket boss at menard's or where ever... often imitated seldom duplicated.  check out their mug organizer.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

P Gottshall

« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2005, 06:31 PM »
OK, I'm confused. . .  This string was going a year or two ago, & had probably 30-40 posts.  Now it looks like it's new, but notice the original date - Jan 8, 2003!

It was a good thread, with several good ideas.

What happened to all the responses????

Confused,
Paul

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2005, 06:40 PM »
Make a snap on top that has a LARGE section in the middle that screws out. I always breat the tops when I try to pry them off and I no longer can find the screw on types to buy. Some one help me or make me on please! :)
Anthony

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2005, 09:48 AM »
Make a snap on top that has a LARGE section in the middle that screws out. I always breat the tops when I try to pry them off and I no longer can find the screw on types to buy. Some one help me or make me on please! :)

Phoenix, I saw those lids at Sportsmans Warehouse in Sioux Falls, SD a couple of weeks ago. I had never seen one and thought it was a great idea. If I remember right there was a storage compartment in the screw off lid for tackle, but I can't remember for sure. I looked at a lot of stuff that day.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2005, 04:06 PM »
Thanks man I wounder if they have a web site?....I live in Maine so thats a long drive :)
Anthony

P Gottshall

« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2005, 02:09 PM »
To keep bucket from sticking when stacked, screw a 1"x2" across the bottom of the inside bucket, just a little larger diameter than the bucket bottom.

Paul

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2005, 03:34 PM »
Thanks man I wounder if they have a web site?....I live in Maine so thats a long drive :)

sportsmanswarehouse.yo u know what, but they don't have any merchandise on the site. I looked. To come though.  Is this what you are looking for?

pyrosupplies

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2005, 04:08 PM »
Paul,
 Looks like River found it in the old posts and bumped it.

Any Ice fisher who buys his bucket ain't much of an ice fisher anyways....this is an inventor's sport.

One need only stroll around a busy lake in the throws of the deep freeze to get all the ideas they need.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2005, 04:09 PM »
Heh, RG just posted as I was about to. 

* Chucker points to the date of the original post, which is 2 years old.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2005, 04:18 PM »
Didn't mean to step on ya Chucker ;)
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2005, 05:01 PM »

sportsmanswarehouse.yo u know what, but they don't have any merchandise on the site. I looked. To come though.  Is this what you are looking for?

pyrosupplies

Thats it man but $$42 for 5 of them......who wants to split the order??!!!
Anthony

P Gottshall

« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2005, 05:01 PM »
RG,

I'm not sure where it is - can you post a link to the old post?

Thx,
Paul

fish_hooked

« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2005, 02:35 PM »
Hey, for that screw on lid thing, go to sportsmansguide.com and type bucket into the search.  The gama seal is only 5.97.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2005, 02:42 PM »
Paul,
 The first post in this thread is the "old post".
It's probably from way back in the equipment forum someplace or from the archives.

There's tons of great stuff posted here from years past.
Old Equipment Tip Board
RG

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2005, 08:41 AM »
P Gottshall, thanks a lot guy! I ge tthe  Mag regularly I dunno why i didn't think to look there ;D
Anthony

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2005, 04:54 AM »
ant i saw them at dicks live bait here in york county ..i will check if he still has them if he does then i will grab it and give it to you when we hook up!

Jersey

« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2005, 03:32 PM »
I will be asking you to complete a survey on a new product that I think you would enjoy and want.  The information collected will influence how I make my product, where I sell it, the quality in which they are made, different accessories you would prefer, the different models I would make, and most importantly a name?

The product in question is a modified five gallon bucket to suit the ice fishermans needs.  Almost all of us had the uncomfortable experience of the bucket and I want to change it with your help.  This is where I need you to tell me what you want!

How much are you willing to spend on a modified seat?
What accessories would you need to have?
Would you want a ready to go rig(pail, seat, storage, etc…)?
Would you want different models…example some with back support, some with more comfortable seats, some with extra storage?
Would you want extra storage in the seat away from the rest?
Where would you buy a product like this… example catalog, internet order, local baitshops?
Would you want a bait bucket inside?
Where would you advertise it?
Would you want a warranty?

These are all ideas, add new things and we will come up with the perfect product.

FINALLY WHAT WOULD THE NAME TO THE PRODUCT BE?

HELP THIS IS FOR A CLASS AT MY SCHOOL ANYTHING IS APPRECIATED!
The bucket is handy out on the ice, yet the padded type lid is somewhat problematic to pry open  with gloved hands and all.  The inside could be spacious to hold more stuff, but I wouldn't want my bait in there; as the hassle of opening and closing the lid.  I guess one might pay $12-$15 if the bucket had some really cool and useful features.  Since I am tall, I would like the oversized and taller bucket.... to alleviate any sore lower back from being in that  squatted  or scrunched over position while sitting still out on the ice.  Just a thought.  You could market it in stores like Gander and Cabellas.  Think and dream BIG!  Serious fisherman will pay for great equipment. Be creative!  I like the name:  The Sit Upon!
  Good Luck dude!    Jersey

Offline Holewatcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • in a trance watching the flag
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2005, 09:48 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D how about a couple of 1x1 you can put around the bucket, and then mount them on the bottom so you can have a rocking chair for us old farts
I need to go to the bathroom, but it might flip up if I go.

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2005, 11:47 AM »
;D ;D ;D how about a couple of 1x1 you can put around the bucket, and then mount them on the bottom so you can have a rocking chair for us old farts
oooooo...I like that idea holewatcher!  :thumbsup:

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2005, 11:54 AM »
If the wheel was the greatest invention made by man, then the bucket has to be the most versitle and usefull thing made for icefishing !!!

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline icefishingNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Preparation + Opportunity = Luck
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2010, 12:16 PM »
I just did a modification to my 5 gal bucket seat last night. I'm still not done with but it will be later today and I'll post up a few photos. It's basically a board with a boat fold down seat attached to it. I then add two PVC rod holders on each side of it.

My shiner bucket will sit inside of the 5 gal bucket for weight & balance so I'll need to add two handles to take the bucket seat cover off. Also I need to add a few things like a round board on the bottom so it fits in the bucket snug and doesn't slide off, 1/4 round trim lip around the edges of the board, a rope for carrying and hole hopping.

Painting it will come later but for now this should work for a place to put my rod while changing jigs, baiting or removing a hook instead of laying it on the ice. My bait, skimmer, drink and basic gear will be right there beside me at all the times plus my back won't be killing me after sitting there or reaching down to the ice for stuff ;D

I'm also looking into modifying a 5 gal bucket for hold my Aqua-Vu and so I can see it outside of the bob house.
I'm Old Enough To Know Better...But Young Enough Not To Care.

Offline icefishingNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Preparation + Opportunity = Luck
« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2010, 06:50 AM »
I finished up my jigging bucket bench last night. All I need to do now is throw the bench seat, my bait pail in the bucket, auger and a few tip ups, skimmer, tackle box in the sled and I’m good to go to hole hopping for crappie. It’s actually pretty sturdy and probably even better once I’ve got the bait pail in there. I'll paint and seal it up after the season is over. The seat needs to go back on my canoe for summer time slammin ;D

I'm Old Enough To Know Better...But Young Enough Not To Care.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2010, 01:03 PM »
Wheres the roll of toilet paper? ;D Just kidding, nice job!
Fish on!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.