Author Topic: Vexilar FLX-30 - Honest Reviews?  (Read 11257 times)

Offline cdwester

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing better than hot fishing on a cold day!
Vexilar FLX-30 - Honest Reviews?
« on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:15 AM »
Anyone out there with a new Vexilar FLX-30 have an honest review of the system (specifically the frequency feature). I've seen all the the YouTube promo stuff but wouldn't mind some first hand feedback.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Vexilar FLX-30 - Honest Reviews?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:10 AM »
I would also like to hear some hands on ice reports.im not upgrading to it because i cant justify the price for what it is.a flasher but im a vexilar fanboy and have ran them all except that one.hefty price and it sounded like it was a fiddle with settings unit which i do not like.i like to drill a hole,drop ducer,turn on unit,adjust gain and fish.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:21 AM »
I would also like to hear some hands on ice reports.im not upgrading to it because i cant justify the price for what it is.a flasher but im a vexilar fanboy and have ran them all except that one.hefty price and it sounded like it was a fiddle with settings unit which i do not like.i like to drill a hole,drop ducer,turn on unit,adjust gain and fish.

Not that I am interested in an upgrade from my FL18 ...but one turn off is the transducer being exclusive to that unit .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:32 AM »
Not that I am interested in an upgrade from my FL18 ...but one turn off is the transducer being exclusive to that unit .
i agree.

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:39 AM »
I'd like to read some reports also..Not sure if I would upgrade or not.  Love that FL-18.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:40 AM »
I love my flx28 but I just don't see vexilar continuing to be competitive by reskinning the cat over and over again.  Granted they have been doing so for a long time.  Even so hard to break out the flx over livevu or livescope.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2021, 12:46 PM »
I love my flx28 but I just don't see vexilar continuing to be competitive by reskinning the cat over and over again.  Granted they have been doing so for a long time.  Even so hard to break out the flx over livevu or livescope.

While vexilar has had some solid products, the company is fast becoming a joke. If you look at the new FLX 30 broad band it just upsets me what they've done. They just reskined and old product (the FLX 28)  and added a slightly newer take on a multiple cone angle transducer after taking away the old multi beam transducers.

It was totally understandable that they brought a unit that can do Multiple transducer cone degrees. Also understandable that they turned the transducer into being able to do it by using the display/controal head to do so instead of using a mechanical switch.

The absolute joke is vexilar took away the dual and tribeam options for people to purchase that used a mechanical switch. Now to have the option of multiple transducer cones with vexilar......you need to drop $800 on a unit.

I'm like......a.....my FLX 28 pretty much does everything the flx30 does since I have a good tri beam on it......Now we know why vexilar quit making multi beam transducers.....take the option away then charge $800 for a unit to be able to get it.

They keep bragging up interference rejection......like I have an FL18, FL20, FL22HD, and FLx28 I've fished them out of the same wheel house no problem......having more is not that big of a deal for me.

It's like......other companies have multiple cone transducers and you don't have to drop $800 to get it.

IMO this unit is proof that the Pro view transducer did NOT do what they claimed.....if it did this unit wouldn't have been developed this way.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2021, 01:01 PM »
I'd like to read some reports also..Not sure if I would upgrade or not.  Love that FL-18.

The FL18 has the exact options a person needs if you have a dual or tri beam on it. All the other "options" are mostly stuff a person never uses much if ever. Weed mode......I've used it 1-4 times since the flx28 came out. Night/day light.....not a big deal......multiple bottom zooms......90% of the time I'm in 30ft or less so 6ft is used the 12ft and 18ft zoom.....never get used much if ever.

If anything the FL18 is a nicer unit IMO because you can use it to show people using a flasher the first time and doesn't have a bunch of extra option switches or settings that confuse them.

My FL18 gets used just has much as my other flashers. The one used the most is my FLX28....but that is because it is a double vision unit with a lithium ion battery. I always take the double vision out so I have my camera and flasher with me...it's not because the flasher is better catching fish then the others.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2021, 02:12 PM »
While vexilar has had some solid products, the company is fast becoming a joke. If you look at the new FLX 30 broad band it just upsets me what they've done. They just reskined and old product (the FLX 28)  and added a slightly newer take on a multiple cone angle transducer after taking away the old multi beam transducers.

It was totally understandable that they brought a unit that can do Multiple transducer cone degrees. Also understandable that they turned the transducer into being able to do it by using the display/controal head to do so instead of using a mechanical switch.

The absolute joke is vexilar took away the dual and tribeam options for people to purchase that used a mechanical switch. Now to have the option of multiple transducer cones with vexilar......you need to drop $800 on a unit.

I'm like......a.....my FLX 28 pretty much does everything the flx30 does since I have a good tri beam on it......Now we know why vexilar quit making multi beam transducers.....take the option away then charge $800 for a unit to be able to get it.

They keep bragging up interference rejection......like I have an FL18, FL20, FL22HD, and FLx28 I've fished them out of the same wheel house no problem......having more is not that big of a deal for me.

It's like......other companies have multiple cone transducers and you don't have to drop $800 to get it.

IMO this unit is proof that the Pro view transducer did NOT do what they claimed.....if it did this unit wouldn't have been developed this way.

With Lowrance dipping their toes into the live data game like garmin I think the writing is on the wall for our friends at vexilar.  I still use my flx28 and don't regret keeping it despite having both the panoptix and livescope bundles but it gets used less and less.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2021, 02:34 PM »
Haven't read one review of the 30. ?????

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2021, 02:34 PM »

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2021, 02:42 PM »

Probably wont. Who would open themselves to being shamed on here for spending the money they earned on what they wanted. They'll just get treated like crap by the guys who are justifying what they currently use being the best by slamming all the other ones on the market.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2021, 03:33 PM »

It's gonna work just like every other vexilar flasher. It will be a solid flasher and will have the multiple beam transducer! I don't think you are gonna have a lot of buyers dropping $800 on the unit....IMO because there really isn't anything that is an upgrade.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2021, 04:31 PM »
Probably wont. Who would open themselves to being shamed on here for spending the money they earned on what they wanted. They'll just get treated like crap by the guys who are justifying what they currently use being the best by slamming all the other ones on the market.

Need a hug?  At the end of the day it's only opinions from strangers?  Do people really get that hurt if someone disagrees with them here???

If we all had the same opinion I don't think there'd be much of a discussion...but I'm interested, who pooped in your corn flakes, and if it's that bad, why would anyone come here at all?  Door doesn't lock from the outside...

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2021, 04:42 PM »

I believe Vexilar/Navionics/Garmin are connected . If that is true they are skinning a lot of cats.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2021, 04:53 PM »
Even if i had one i couldnt review it..no damn ice to use it on.i got on 2.75" monday and now its raining and snow the next four days to turn it into crap.excuse me im headed to the grumpy shack lol.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2021, 04:54 PM »
Need a hug?  At the end of the day it's only opinions from strangers?  Do people really get that hurt if someone disagrees with them here???

If we all had the same opinion I don't think there'd be much of a discussion...but I'm interested, who pooped in your corn flakes, and if it's that bad, why would anyone come here at all?  Door doesn't lock from the outside...

Do you read this forum? good grief.. theres a reason most people dont ask "what should I buy" questions here anymore, or ask for reviews. You dont see any posts like there used to be, where guys would have open discussions on new products. Now a few vocal guys jump in and just talk crap about the product and tell you why you should have bought something else (what they currently use). Ask a question about what drill to use, youll be told to buy ridgid or you are wasting your money. Flasher? Marcum. Rods? Cheapest ones you can find. When we used gas augers, it was eskimo or no go.

Read the replies already on here. Just guys who dont own a flx-30 talking about how its a waste of money or that vexilar is not innovative.

Not enough active new users anymore I think, social media has grabbed the young guys. You can ask the same question on a FB group and have 100 replies in 10 minutes.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2021, 06:10 PM »
Kevin23, I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2021, 06:33 PM »
Even if i had one i couldnt review it..no damn ice to use it on.i got on 2.75" monday and now its raining and snow the next four days to turn it into crap.excuse me im headed to the grumpy shack lol.

That sucks.  I may go there too.  No will to argue and it's time to head out for crappie. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2021, 06:56 PM »
Do you read this forum? good grief.. theres a reason most people dont ask "what should I buy" questions here anymore, or ask for reviews. You dont see any posts like there used to be, where guys would have open discussions on new products. Now a few vocal guys jump in and just talk crap about the product and tell you why you should have bought something else (what they currently use). Ask a question about what drill to use, youll be told to buy ridgid or you are wasting your money. Flasher? Marcum. Rods? Cheapest ones you can find. When we used gas augers, it was eskimo or no go.

Read the replies already on here. Just guys who dont own a flx-30 talking about how its a waste of money or that vexilar is not innovative.

Not enough active new users anymore I think, social media has grabbed the young guys. You can ask the same question on a FB group and have 100 replies in 10 minutes.

There is plenty of discussion on things......your asking a bunch of people a question on why they bought something of course they are going to defend or rip apart stuff. That's what people are asking for.  It sounds like you take this stuff way to personal. It is opinions of people......nobody is going to agree or have the same opinion.

You don't have to own something to point things out or review it. If you own a 2020 Chevy pickup, then go to the dealer and check out a 2021.....a person should be able to give a review of the differences.

Instead of complaining why don't you debate then. If you feel vexilar is innovative, or that it isn't a waste of money vs what someone has. I mean isn't that what you claim is lacking? Just because a company isn't innovative doesn't mean the product is bad. Look at the Bic ball point pen....hasn't changed in 50yrs still does the job.....kinda like the FL18.

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2021, 06:52 AM »
I have used the 30 all this season.  My flasher progression has been FL8SE, FL18, FLX28, FLX30.

I will start with the thing is of typical vexilar quality, very well made and the product is physically nice.  The battery being lithium is nice, but I have done enough research and had discussion with them on the charger and I get better results from my lithium charger over their charger.  Yes, you can charge it with the vex standard charger, but I do not believe it gets fully charged with it.   I have not tested it to know for sure.

-The battery indicator on screen would work well for a lead acid, but its useless on a lithium.
-The depth readout on the screen goes away when not in high power. They tell me it is not consistent in medium and low power, but I think its good enough for reference so it should be left on

Now for the good!!!

-The color selections, like the 28 are nice ESPECIALLY since both my sons are color blind
-adjustable frequency is really cool, can tune your mark size for the water depth. No more giant marks for the lure in shallow water
-Everything good about the 28 is here and some of what I don't like about that unit is better, some not.

Vex if you see this, this is what would make it an even better unit.
-put battery voltage on screen instead of the indicator
-leave depth display on all the time (the issues with it moving a bit CAN be filtered with code, and I didn't have any issue with my DD-100 gauge on the FL18)
-The unit should power on in the same settings after you shut it off.  I don't want to have to reset it all up once I move to a new spot and power it back on.

So, if you want a new flasher, like the features you do get, its a really nice unit close the the core of what represents vexilar.  If you like what you have, no need to spend the money. 

Note, I am not a pro staffer, however they did give me a discount for being a veteran, so I got a good deal on it when I bought it.  This was the first new flasher I have every owned!

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2021, 07:54 AM »
hookset81, thanks for the review.

Offline cdwester

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2021, 09:38 AM »
Thanks a lot Hookset81, awesome feedback.

Why is the battery indicator useless with the lithium? Just because the lithium goes forever, or does it not work?

Saw the guys at YouBetchaOutdoors put up a new video on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2-Yxy30oII I'm hoping they do an on ice comparison of the 28 and 30.

I still like the features of the broadband ducer. That said, if I could find a dual beam that would probably be my go to option. Anyone know where to look for one?

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2021, 10:07 AM »
As a consumer I like to get value for my dollar.  If the Vexilar was the only unit to choose from (or 1 of 2)  it's a more difficult comparison, but now that it's one of many options, you can't ignore the comps.   I mean think about it... you can get a 9" LCD Ultra High Definition unit with Side and Down view with GPS mapping and standard depth charts with software and firmware upgrades and the ability to run livescope sonar that easily swaps out between the ice and open water.   All for $599.     To me it's a no brainer.

Vexilar is a great company with great customer service and they literally changed the way we ice fish.  Legendary is an understatement.  But, it's going to take a major capital investment and change of course if they want to stay competitive in the sonar game.   Actually, it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the big 3 buying out Vexilar (and Marcum) in the near future.

I'd love to see them rise above and change the game again, but that ship may have sailed.

Offline cdwester

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2021, 12:34 PM »
Outside of Garmin Panoptix LiveScope system I'm don't see any real game changing ice fishing functionality with the digital units. That said you can't deny that most fisherman are at the very least considering them, especially since they offer 4 season usage.

I was definitely considering a Helix but at the end of the day I want a dedicated winter unit and there is nothing valuable that it can show me that my FL-18 can't (rather have maps on my phone). What I really need is a fully adjustable cone.

If the new Vexilar ducer was more like 5/25 degree and there was an adjustable zoom zone, then I would be sold. Not sure the 8.7-15 degree cone option will make a huge difference unless your in the deep stuff. 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2021, 01:31 PM »
I have used the 30 all this season.  My flasher progression has been FL8SE, FL18, FLX28, FLX30.

I will start with the thing is of typical vexilar quality, very well made and the product is physically nice.  The battery being lithium is nice, but I have done enough research and had discussion with them on the charger and I get better results from my lithium charger over their charger.  Yes, you can charge it with the vex standard charger, but I do not believe it gets fully charged with it.   I have not tested it to know for sure.

-The battery indicator on screen would work well for a lead acid, but its useless on a lithium.
-The depth readout on the screen goes away when not in high power. They tell me it is not consistent in medium and low power, but I think its good enough for reference so it should be left on

Now for the good!!!

-The color selections, like the 28 are nice ESPECIALLY since both my sons are color blind
-adjustable frequency is really cool, can tune your mark size for the water depth. No more giant marks for the lure in shallow water
-Everything good about the 28 is here and some of what I don't like about that unit is better, some not.

Vex if you see this, this is what would make it an even better unit.
-put battery voltage on screen instead of the indicator
-leave depth display on all the time (the issues with it moving a bit CAN be filtered with code, and I didn't have any issue with my DD-100 gauge on the FL18)
-The unit should power on in the same settings after you shut it off.  I don't want to have to reset it all up once I move to a new spot and power it back on.

So, if you want a new flasher, like the features you do get, its a really nice unit close the the core of what represents vexilar.  If you like what you have, no need to spend the money. 

Note, I am not a pro staffer, however they did give me a discount for being a veteran, so I got a good deal on it when I bought it.  This was the first new flasher I have every owned!

Thanks for the review!!!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Panfisher78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2021, 09:32 PM »
I also have some time on the ice with my FLX-30.  I agree that the battery indicator is all but useless.  I have an FLX-28 also and swapped out the old SLA with the new LI and its battery indicator is no longer accurate either.  Other than that, I’m totally happy with it.  The real sell is the ability to change frequencies which changes your cone angles.  I fished next to three other guys and could completely knock out all interference just by adjusting my cone angle.  They were battling interference while I never had a flash. I would widen my cone angle to see where my dead stick bait was when dropping it down and then tighten the cone up for jigging.  Worked great in the fish house.  One thing i wish Vexilar would have done was put the actual cone angle on the flasher screen instead of the frequency associated with it.  I could care less what frequency I’m using, I want to know the cone angle.  Not a big deal though its quick and easy to get used to. Another cool feature is that is saves your settings from the last time you fished.  Just don’t turn it to S mode when shutting it off. If you want to start over turn it to S mode then turn the unit on.  Overall I think its an awesome unit and would recommend it, even if your coming from a 28 like I was.  The FLX-30 is everything the FLX-28 should have been.  If you love the FLX-28 but don’t like the Proview ducer than the 30 is right up your alley.  That being said, its expensive and only offered on the Ultra Pack at this time which makes it more expensive.  However, it’s a great case and is super light now with the new battery and great for hole hopping.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2021, 09:54 PM »
Some excellent posts.  I wish I brought my FLX28 with me yesterday.  I was running livescope and I think it made it from about 530 am to 1pm before it died.  (The Dakota I ordered for it hasn't arrived yet).  Interesting to point out that I fished next to my buddy running his flx28 and we had absolutely no issues with interference with was awesome.  The bottom type was soft so that may have helped but I figured we'd see some.  I always appreciated the inference rejection settings on the 28. 

Someone posted they don't see any game changers outside of panoptix for the LCD units...honestly I think having extremely accurate charts is a massive game changer.  I use my track lines to keep me a float on Ice that gets covered with snow...GPS marks for tip up locations, obviously marks for fishing spots and with upgraded maps 1' contour lines. 

Dtro I think your right.. it'll be an acquisition before that company ever failed.  If companies like Garmin could offer that technology at the same entry point it would be a different story. 

I do think my vex will see action still even though I own both a ps22 and livescope ice bundle.  You can't argue with how accurately a vex marks a jig even in 130 fow and also and sometimes critical is how accurately it represents the actual movement of the jig vs the speed and movement of the target chasing it. If you fish for lakers a lot this becomes insanely important.  Sometimes with the garmins it's difficult for me to tell how close the laker is to the jig.  That's never a question with the vex as the target separation is really where I think it stands out. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2021, 11:07 PM »
I also have some time on the ice with my FLX-30.  I agree that the battery indicator is all but useless.  I have an FLX-28 also and swapped out the old SLA with the new LI and its battery indicator is no longer accurate either.  Other than that, I’m totally happy with it.  The real sell is the ability to change frequencies which changes your cone angles.  I fished next to three other guys and could completely knock out all interference just by adjusting my cone angle.  They were battling interference while I never had a flash. I would widen my cone angle to see where my dead stick bait was when dropping it down and then tighten the cone up for jigging.  Worked great in the fish house.  One thing i wish Vexilar would have done was put the actual cone angle on the flasher screen instead of the frequency associated with it.  I could care less what frequency I’m using, I want to know the cone angle.  Not a big deal though its quick and easy to get used to. Another cool feature is that is saves your settings from the last time you fished.  Just don’t turn it to S mode when shutting it off. If you want to start over turn it to S mode then turn the unit on.  Overall I think its an awesome unit and would recommend it, even if your coming from a 28 like I was.  The FLX-30 is everything the FLX-28 should have been.  If you love the FLX-28 but don’t like the Proview ducer than the 30 is right up your alley.  That being said, its expensive and only offered on the Ultra Pack at this time which makes it more expensive.  However, it’s a great case and is super light now with the new battery and great for hole hopping.

So if you had a tri beam on the FLX28 (which has the three cone angles and labeled on the switch) which basically allows a person to do what you were doing. IYO What are the advantages of moving from a FLX28 to a FLX30BB.

I understand that today a lot of people can get a dual or tri so it pushes them towards a FLX30BB.

Offline Panfisher78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2021, 05:36 AM »
So if you had a tri beam on the FLX28 (which has the three cone angles and labeled on the switch) which basically allows a person to do what you were doing. IYO What are the advantages of moving from a FLX28 to a FLX30BB.

I understand that today a lot of people can get a dual or tri so it pushes them towards a FLX30BB.

In that situation there probably isn’t a huge advantage.  With the FLX-30 you’d have seven different cone angles as opposed to two or three which also gives more IR settings.   The other features like the 18ft zoom and the Range selections are more geared toward deeper water so if you aren’t fishing deep water much that isn’t much of an advantage. The 30 also has a medium power setting as opposed to just high and low which is kind of nice.  An FLX-28 with a TriBeam and a LI battery and you’ve got most of what the 30BB is IMO.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.