Author Topic: Structure for walleye  (Read 3248 times)

Offline rileys44

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GOT ANOTHER ONE!!!
Structure for walleye
« on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:53 AM »
What structure do you guys focus on for big walleye?  Is there a certain depth you guys focus on?  I'm trying to use my Navionics app to get on structure for big eyes but don't know what structure to focus on.  Any suggestions?

Chute82

Re: Structure for walleye
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2017, 06:09 PM »
Humps in my local lake seem to where the eyes hang out.  15ft to where it rises to 9ft seems to be the sweet spot in my local lake. 

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2017, 02:20 AM »
I agree mid lake humps the best, then maybe shoreline points. Later in the winter start moving to flats or reefs near the incoming creeks/rivers, or rock bottom wind swept shores, they will be staging in these areas  long before the ice is gone.

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2017, 07:49 AM »
Do the mid-lake humps need to have vegetation on them?  We mapped part of a lake this past summer and found a 500' long 12' hump about 600' away from and parrallel to the weedy shoreline and about the same distance on the other side from the 35' deepest part of the bay.

Offline rileys44

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GOT ANOTHER ONE!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:25 PM »
Humps in my local lake seem to where the eyes hang out.  15ft to where it rises to 9ft seems to be the sweet spot in my local lake.

Do you set up directly on top of the humps or on the break of the humps?

Chute82

« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2017, 06:16 AM »
Do you set up directly on top of the humps or on the break of the humps?

I punch several holes at the different depths, set up tip ups, and jig...watch the vex you should see the walleyes slid in on the bottom.   Jigging raps/shads, slender spoons, blade baits, jig w/minnow, also dead stick a minnow w/float near your jigging hole.  Good luck

Offline rileys44

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GOT ANOTHER ONE!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2017, 11:46 AM »

I punch several holes at the different depths, set up tip ups, and jig...watch the vex you should see the walleyes slid in on the bottom.   Jigging raps/shads, slender spoons, blade baits, jig w/minnow, also dead stick a minnow w/float near your jigging hole.  Good luck

Thanks!  I fish a lot of sloughs in NE South Dakota that don't have structure but some of the bigger lakes I fish up there have a lot of structure on it.  I usually do punch a lot of holes and move around and set up tip-ups but it just has been a tough season for me and I am trying to fish different parts of lakes that I have not fished before. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.