The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: What flasher unit do you suggest?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Perch Crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
What flasher unit do you suggest?
« on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:22 PM »
Fellow icemen

I'm debating on buying a flasher this year for the ice.  I'm looking at vexs, showdowns, hummingbirds and marcums but can't seem to make up my mind between them.  Any suggestions on what you like about your units I would greatly appreciate the help.

Alan 

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What flasher unit do you suggest?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2009, 11:07 PM »
fwiw, i recently picked up a FL-20 vex and dig it... overall i think they're all pretty good... get one which fits your budget and your comfortable with (whichever brand)...

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2009, 11:12 PM »
But by all means get one...you'll never go on the ice without it again fer sure  ;)   LT

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2009, 11:43 PM »
 I have had the VPG [showdown] since the first year they came out...3-4 years now.  Have had zero problems, works great and battery has lasted me 3 days on one outing. There are 6vpg's[with the upgrade] and a showdown in my ice family. No problems except one blown fuse, and it was a one time deal.

Never used a flasher, but have observed them being used.  Don't know why you would want the dial, and noisy motor.........and have to do algebra to figure out your depth ::)

Get the Showdown!  you will be happy!

especialy when the flasher-dudes come over to watch you pounding fish with it ;D  and they go    wow thats easy and makes sense.....and how long that battery last?   "think i'll be trading my vex for one of them" 8)
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
Blue-toppin.........and lip-rippin
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2009, 11:44 PM »
I just bought my first flasher today, getting it out on the ice tomorrow morning!!!  I did a lot of what your doing, and on several chat sites.  It really boils down to budget.  I had a truckload of gift cards to Cabela's, so money wasn't an issue for me.  It is for most.  They are pricey!!!  Bottom line on these things is people have what they have, and are generally fanatical about them.  They all work!!!  VEX, MARCUM, SHOWDOWN, HUMMINGBIRD, are all these companies are still around and are all making good products.  If they were bad, there would be a monopoly and everyone would be using one maker of flasher.  My best friend uses a basic marcum, and I have sat next to him for two years and watched him pull fish at two to three times my numbers, consistently.  I went with the vex fl-20.  It has the most features, including a dual beam transducer, two zooms, built in tackle box, rod holder, battery level meter, etc...  (ALL BELLS AND WHISTLES).  Plus it fits in a bucket, is L.E.D., and looks like something that should be on the international space station.  I thought it would be difficult to use, but I watched the DVD and it is very user friendly.  IN CONCLUSION...  Check the features, then decide what you can afford.  I'm now a Vexilar man!!!
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2009, 07:35 AM »
I own a vexilar FL-12 SE and love it.  I don't know about the other brands but vexilar offers Interference Rejection on all their models.  And if you plan on fishing near others with sonar systems this is a must have.  Vexilar all the way.

Baiter
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's A Friggin Record Breaker.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2009, 07:56 AM »
I suggest the Vexilar. I have had the FL-8 for 13 Years and have had Zero Problems. Vexilar is the only one i have ever used so it might be a biased suggestion. But as the LT mentioned, it is a very important tool to add to your equipment. :tipup:

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2009, 08:56 AM »
I have fished blind for 30 years.  This winter picked up a used Marcum LX-1 for $100.  It is funny how freekin easy it is to catch fish on a jigged lure now.   Watch them come in, stare at it, then grab it.  This marcum is a very basic unit and I honestly think its all I'll ever need.

Its funny but there are people out there who are totally lost without a flasher- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2009, 09:39 AM »
I converted my hummingbird from my boat to an ice fishing set up this year.  I really like it even though most people swear by flashers only.  My buddy got a Markum and between the two of us we have signifigantly increased our catch rates.  I think slayer is right all you really need is a basic model espically if you are on a budget, like me.  As long as you have a unit that can see your jig and detect fish in the water column you are going to increase your bites.  Be warned that having one can sometimes make you crazy.  Until this year i have never realized how many fish cruise in and take a look at your lure and dont bite.
Zack

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2009, 10:08 AM »
What was it the Dogg called me until I bought my Marcum...oh yeah, "Caveman"  :wacko: :whistle: :icefish: LT

Offline WYOICER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Wanna Ice Fish Baby
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2009, 10:11 AM »
I have used both but still prefer the standard LCD fish finder (have used a Lowrance X-70 for years)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2009, 10:38 AM »
there ya have it... the votes in! get yerself a unit! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline wyohikeit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:17 AM »
I fished blind till last year when I bought an  Eagle   fishmark 320  It works fine. I fish beside vexilar most days and they let you tell whats going on down there too but I don't like the noise and the flash gets annoying. I thank you doggbiter for you comments about the showdown  I have been wondering about them ---Looks like what I will upgrade to!
Time on the ice is always worth more than money

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2009, 10:16 AM »
That LX-1 looks hard to beat for the money. Bottom zoom, fairly high wattage. I bought a Bird 35 for this season, so far so good with it.

Offline dwilliams

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slammin' Slabs
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2009, 12:26 PM »
I have a VPG (showdown) that I've had for just over a year.  I have definitely caught more fish because of it.  It's easy to use and it just makes sense in my mind that the water column is vertical on the screen.  Excellent battery life, good sensitivity, etc.  The only problems I've had are that it takes a bit of time to 'warm up' when it's really cold out and I get quite a bit of interference from my buddy's Vex.  I would NOT trade this unit for a flasher.  Oh, and you guys are right, once you've used some kind of unit it's tough to go on the ice without it. 

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2009, 09:21 PM »
The Vexilar FL-18 has served me well.  I also use it in my boat.  For bottom hugging fish like walleyes, the autozoom/bottom lock feature is worth getting.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.