The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: A must fish lake  (Read 3715 times)

Offline W8NonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
A must fish lake
« on: Sep 24, 2019, 08:51 PM »
It may be early to start thinking about it but I plan on getting the stuff out and organized this weekend. I primarily fish Saratoga lake. It’s a mile or so from the house so super easy. Hopefully get on big horn reservoir with my in-laws this winter. Maybe make a trip to Minnesota to fish with my brother but a few of my buddies are looking at making a weekend trip in state for some ice fishing. What would you guys say is a good lake to have a fun weekend on.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: A must fish lake
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2019, 06:54 AM »
the what lake to have fun depends on what you want to accomplish.  Like if you want to catch a bunch of crappie, plus be able to maybe catch a pike and some walleye and other fish, then Keyhole would be one on the list.  To chase big lake trout around the Gorge would be the lake to go to.  To just catch a bunch of trout Sunshine reservoirs seem to be the ticket early on and late ice but the late ice seems to leave quickly some years or possibly buffalo bill would fit as well if and when the ice gets on the lake.  Each lake has its benefits and downfalls just have to see what everyone wants to chase and plan from there.  Good luck this season.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2019, 05:51 PM »
Keyhole is a great lake lots of action for sure. Boysen can be good too, Flaming Gorge is always worth the drive. If Glendo gets enough ice it can be great. Lots of small bodies of water to hit as well. I would think Bighorn also be worth hitting as well.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline W8NonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2019, 09:45 PM »
For keyhole is it walking distance to decent spots or is a wheeler or sled pretty much necessary? I love just gettin out even on Saratoga and being out there catching a few but I think making a weekend out of it would be fun to do.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2019, 08:21 AM »
For my money I'd do Boysen. Big everythings in there- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2019, 11:35 PM »
Ditto SLAYER. Haven't heard anything recent on the Atheon toxic water dump proposal in quite awhile though. Sure think 8.27 million gallons of oilfield wastewater daily into Badwater would have imact on fishery. :'(

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2019, 08:06 AM »
Ditto SLAYER. Haven't heard anything recent on the Atheon toxic water dump proposal in quite awhile though. Sure think 8.27 million gallons of oilfield wastewater daily into Badwater would have imact on fishery. :'(

That does not sound good- :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2019, 11:56 PM »
You can do well on Keyhole fishing on foot barring any deep snow but lots of spots that are walking distance.

Offline rucadulu

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing is my preferred way of living.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2019, 02:17 PM »

This is the first I have heard of this can you please explain what is happening to the Badwater Creek Drainage. Maybe link to some reports on the situation.

Thank you, RuCaDuLu

Is this article what you are taking about?

https://trib.com/business/energy/epa-vetoes-increase-in-oil-and-gas-pollution-in-badwater/article_2aed32eb-92f6-5361-90c7-a052bd40f220.html

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2019, 11:39 AM »
Reads like they have nixed it until further study.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2019, 11:08 PM »
 ;D Thanks guys for picking up on this. "Until further study" sounds pretty good but I think those who would find this acceptable are some pretty sneaky fellers. "Money more than anything" kind of folks. I was quite dis heartened reading the letters from all the mayors of the surrounding towns sucking up to Atheon for the price of a few temporary jobs but encouraged by the letters of folks like us who value the clean waters of Wyoming and the outstanding fishing it provides. There was an exception, but I can't find it now, that asked hard questions of this company. I never did see any replies to this from Atheon. Thanks guys for looking into this and hope to see all of you in the upcoming hardwater season! ;D

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2019, 09:36 AM »
For my money I'd do Boysen. Big everythings in there- ;)

X-2 SLAYERFISH
I tried to get my wife to retire in Shoshone.... I think that I got shot down...  :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 06, 2019, 08:19 PM »
X-2 SLAYERFISH
I tried to get my wife to retire in Shoshone.... I think that I got shot down...  :tipup:

Wyo Ice

Yes I can relate-- :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Djfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2019, 10:20 PM »
We moved from Cheyenne to the Rawlins area this last year.  Haven't hit anything to speak of around here on ice.  I would love pointers, since Mrs. Fan and I love ice fishing. 

Does anyone ever put together meet-ups on this site?  We would be on board with that for sure. 

Offline W8NonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2019, 10:26 PM »
DJfan I’m in Saratoga went and fished a few of the Laramie plaines lakes last year for a weekend but if you ever make it over to fish Saratoga let me know id enjoy meeting up and sharing some tips!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2019, 10:34 AM »
We've done few meet ups on Keyhole in the past and Boysen

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2019, 10:58 AM »
W8onice,

if I'm not mistaken didn't you ask about the same question last year? LOL. I know you feel at home on saratoga lake and the laramie plains lakes, but quite frankly those are the last lakes in the state I would want to hit. I feel that once you branch out, you'll have a great time at any of the other bodies of water! Like the guys said above, it's all about what you want to catch.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Djfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2019, 08:23 PM »
I will W8nonice.  We might do the tournament this year.

As POK3s said, I am not too excited about the local lakes.  I want to get onto crappie, walleye, perch, etc.  I live a lot nearer to good lakes here, than I was in Cheyenne, so I'm excited.  Hoping a few will meet up at Pathfinder, Alcova, Seminoe, etc.  I really want those to be our go-to lakes. 

Offline rucadulu

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing is my preferred way of living.
« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2019, 12:12 PM »
I will W8nonice.  We might do the tournament this year.

As POK3s said, I am not too excited about the local lakes.  I want to get onto crappie, walleye, perch, etc.  I live a lot nearer to good lakes here, than I was in Cheyenne, so I'm excited.  Hoping a few will meet up at Pathfinder, Alcova, Seminoe, etc.  I really want those to be our go-to lakes.

I love ice fishing Alcova, Goldeneye, Mckenzie, and Pathfinder here in the Casper Area.  I have never fished Seminoe but here it is pretty good.

Offline 218Icefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Oct 21, 2019, 08:45 PM »
Djfan,

I'm in Rawlins as well, welcome to town! I hit Seminoe and Saratoga lake quite a bit as well as make some trips to Hattie when I can.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.