The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: What is "Slow"?  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Monarch8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
What is "Slow"?
« on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:26 PM »
Wanting a definition from you guys.  Define "fishing was slow" for me.  Does it mean you caught fish, but not many?  Does it mean you got bites but none iced?  Does it mean you only caught 12 when you normally catch 54?  Define for me what a "slow" day is to you please.

Offline icefishing J

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What is "Slow"?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:59 PM »
I agree with slayer, none is skunked, and only a few is slow
Just making Swiss Ice

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:43 PM »
I basically jig for gills and crappie.A slow day 10-15 keeper for a day off fishing. I'm selective of keepers and will not keep inferior fish just to make my pile look good. Last year many of slow days but a long season made it good. First ice and last ice are always the best.

Offline Lowens110

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:31 AM »
Just remember a "slow day" fishing is better than a Great day at work. So definition of slow is different to everyone for me it's not Skunked. So only icing 1-2 depending on what your fishing for. Or long period of time between big fish like Lakers. But its all better than being at work!

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:40 AM »
I dont have many "slow" days out there. I like to ice troll and move alot and keep drilling so even when im not catching much its still plenty busy and fun. Bein out there when its -10 and sittin in a heated hut with no bites, no marks on the vex and no desire to go out in the cold is a "slow" day for me
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline wyogoosechaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:01 PM »
Skunked for me also is 0, couple flags a day is slow

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2015, 11:38 PM »
To me slow is arriving at the gorge around noon and realizing I forgot the batteries for the fish finder, then discovering the coffee thermos got left on the back bumper and fell off somewhere.  Slow is having tangled lines that are a mess and having to take the time to work the birds nest out before I can fish.  Slow is getting a couple bites about three o'clock and dragging up to head for home SKUNKED.  Slow must include mishaps, and arriving late and having a bad luck day.
Oh and "sure honey, but I threw them all back", it was a slow day don't cha' know. ;)
Thread killer

Offline c.landis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2015, 08:20 AM »
I Loved your comments WYIfish, That is the perfect explanation of a (Slow) day.... I thought I was the only one that had days like that.. Funny stuff !!!  ;D

Offline FishFam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2015, 10:20 AM »
To me slow is arriving at the gorge around noon and realizing I forgot the batteries for the fish finder, then discovering the coffee thermos got left on the back bumper and fell off somewhere.  Slow is having tangled lines that are a mess and having to take the time to work the birds nest out before I can fish.  Slow is getting a couple bites about three o'clock and dragging up to head for home SKUNKED.  Slow must include mishaps, and arriving late and having a bad luck day.
Oh and "sure honey, but I threw them all back", it was a slow day don't cha' know. ;)

This.

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2015, 11:39 AM »
I agree with WYIfish.  If I have   family, friend or a good book, skunked and slow have different meanings.  My other no fish excuse I di not want to have to clean them...
olefish

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:23 AM »
one bit or fish an hour is fairly slow but on some lakes thats a awesome day.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline joevanoni

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:50 AM »
A slow day to me is your suppose to leave to go fishing at 6 AM and at 7 AM your still waiting for your ride to show up.

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:11 PM »
slow day is staying home wishing you had went fishing. being on the ice no bits is a long day not slow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.