The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: WGFD Proposed License Fee Adjustments  (Read 8347 times)

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: WGFD Proposed License Fee Adjustments
« Reply #30 on: Nov 16, 2012, 08:56 PM »
I'd buy a license in Wyoming even if it were 100.0$ but I know I certainly don't speak for everyone. :P  Lot of those guys could get paid a little better anyhow (G/F employees).

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Nov 16, 2012, 10:50 PM »
insted of looking to raise more why dont they look at cuts,the amount of money they wast is rediculious.

Just curious, what do you think the G&F should cut?  Where do they waste money?

ClearCreek

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Nov 18, 2012, 08:48 PM »
hey I got it, just increase the sales tax across the state 1 cent just the game and fish, then maybe our tag instate could drop.  This might fund the game and fish better, but hey what do I know.  I hate taxes but at least this one would go to something that would benefit us.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Nov 23, 2012, 10:51 AM »
Just curious, what do you think the G&F should cut?  Where do they waste money?

ClearCreek
Multi million dollar building in Jackson.

Offline wyruffneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Nov 23, 2012, 07:04 PM »
heres an idea how about a nonresident stamp for hunting and fishing it would be a one time  once a year stamp that would cost lets say around $15.00  that stamp wound be used for both hunting and fishing   so just say that 300,000  nonresidents come to wyoming to hunt and fish that would be 4.5 million dollars  that would sure off set the prices for the G&F in a pretty good way

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 23, 2012, 07:54 PM »
I don't know, just asking. How many non residents come to Wyoming each year to hunt or fish?

Offline wyruffneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Nov 23, 2012, 08:00 PM »
not sure but i am not far off on the numbers if you count the tourist how buy  a license when passing threw

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 23, 2012, 10:05 PM »
I don't know, just asking. How many non residents come to Wyoming each year to hunt or fish?

Only license plates I see fishing the green river are from Utah, Idaho, and Colorado.  >:(
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Nov 23, 2012, 11:50 PM »
Multi million dollar building in Jackson.

Can you build an office building in Jackson that does not cost several million dollars??

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 23, 2012, 11:59 PM »
Can you build an office building in Jackson that does not cost several million dollars??
If money is so tight, they should not spend it so freely.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Nov 24, 2012, 10:23 AM »
...and some people still act like paying 80-100$ is a big deal for a license.

I think a big deal is when the G/F loses operational funding and your favorite lakes quit getting stocked.

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Nov 25, 2012, 10:39 AM »
If money is so tight, they should not spend it so freely.

Prospector:

The Jackson office was built before 2008 and 2008 was last time license fees were increased.   When the legislature approved the 2008 license fee increase G&F told them that increase would last until 2012 and in 2013 fees would have to be increased again.  However, because G&F spent money carefully the license fee increase in 2008 lasted an extra year.   (Prices of many things, including gas, have increased considerably since 2008.)

Info like this can be obtained by attending public meetings, reading the info on the G&F website, etc.

ClearCreek

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #43 on: Nov 25, 2012, 12:54 PM »
...and some people still act like paying 80-100$ is a big deal for a license.

I think a big deal is when the G/F loses operational funding and your favorite lakes quit getting stocked.
I agree, but my deer tag has nothing to do with stocking fish. I for one could see paying extra to fish stocked lakes. I'm a big catch and release kind of guy, most of the time. So the big question is, what animals cost the most. Stocking fish in ponds and reservoirs cost money. The new invasive species personal at each lake/reservoir cost money. Pheasant raising and release cost money. Show me how much did it cost to raise a fawn to adult buck/doe. Did we water the prairie/river bed to make more food? No, Nature did it for us. How much money went into increase habitat/food? Now we have biologist but I've never seen one out in the field in my 30 years except on a river or lake (Fisheries) "Good for you boys, keep up the good work". And in Jackson doing blood samples on elk but only on the refuge, not wilderness areas. Check stations are a gost in the past now. Most of the time I hear about ranchers having to comply with BLM/forest service personal not Fish and Game.  So Question on operational funding cost. Wich animal cost the most to run, and should we look into upping just that tag to comply with price increases associated with it.
No one left behind.     

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Nov 25, 2012, 02:02 PM »
This reminds me of another problem, a bigger one....facing our country.

I'm for increasing the price of tags / licenses because I can afford to pay it and I understand the prices have to go up sometimes.  But I am not for wasteful or unnecessary spending that is for sure.  I imagine the G/F can make a few cuts here or there on something and things will be fine.  Cut the waste and increase fees a little bit and we should be fine for awhile.  (even if there is not a lot of waste to cut, it should be looked into).

I have not hunted for years because I'm always to eager to go fishing instead.  I don't know as much about tags and the like so I prefer not to comment on price changes there... but I think a two pole permit is a good place to at least start on the fishing side.  Charge 15-20$ for an annual two pole permit.  That would bump revenue up a little bit and so will busting the idiots who refuse to read the regs ever year.  Many states already have a two pole permit - I don't see why Wyoming does not make this quick and easy change. 

There ought to be a way to raise a little revenue from lodging taxes and the like too.  I think you got to put everything on the table and find a way to get this done.  It's doable, very doable... just got to sit down and hash it out.

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Nov 25, 2012, 07:10 PM »

... but I think a two pole permit is a good place to at least start on the fishing side.  Charge 15-20$ for an annual two pole permit.  That would bump revenue up a little bit and so will busting the idiots who refuse to read the regs ever year.  Many states already have a two pole permit - I don't see why Wyoming does not make this quick and easy change.

gemcityslayer:

From page 6 under Methods of the Wyoming Fishing Regulations: 

Methods
Except as otherwise provided, fish shall only be taken or fished for with a maximum of two (2) rods or poles, with lines and hooks attached and the angler in attendance.

You can already fish with two poles (except where specifically prohibited) in Wyoming.

ClearCreek

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Nov 25, 2012, 07:41 PM »
I am very aware of that Clearcreek I usually fish two rods more often than not.

I'm just saying they should make you have to purchase the right to fish with two rods.  Like in some other states.   Your license would allow 1 rod and if you want to fish with another one you have to buy a 2 pole permit for 15-20$.

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Nov 25, 2012, 08:23 PM »
This reminds me of another problem, a bigger one....facing our country.

I'm for increasing the price of tags / licenses because I can afford to pay it and I understand the prices have to go up sometimes.  But I am not for wasteful or unnecessary spending that is for sure.  I imagine the G/F can make a few cuts here or there on something and things will be fine.  Cut the waste and increase fees a little bit and we should be fine for awhile.  (even if there is not a lot of waste to cut, it should be looked into).

I have not hunted for years because I'm always to eager to go fishing instead.  I don't know as much about tags and the like so I prefer not to comment on price changes there... but I think a two pole permit is a good place to at least start on the fishing side.  Charge 15-20$ for an annual two pole permit.  That would bump revenue up a little bit and so will busting the idiots who refuse to read the regs ever year.  Many states already have a two pole permit - I don't see why Wyoming does not make this quick and easy change. 

There ought to be a way to raise a little revenue from lodging taxes and the like too.  I think you got to put everything on the table and find a way to get this done.  It's doable, very doable... just got to sit down and hash it out.
I have yet to ever here of charging someone for using 2 poles thats the craziest thing I ever heard someone say !!!! thats the reason we buy a fishing license to be able to use 2 pole on open water and 6 in the winter depending on the lake. what would be the point in buying a 36 dollar fishing license and then pay 20 dollars to use a pole this idea is absolutely rediculous !!!! ITS A BAD IDEA!!!!
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Nov 25, 2012, 08:29 PM »
What states do this ? I have fished Mt,Nd,Sd,Minn,Iowa and I never not one time payed to use 2 poles so I guess Im not sure what areas of the US. you have been fishing...

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Nov 25, 2012, 08:30 PM »
I agree, a 2nd pole permit is redicilous. Raising fees is a short term fix, a few years and it will happen again and again. A 1 or 2% statewide tax sounds like a better fix. Energy companies coming in for a few years and making millions and leaving residents without jobs should be paying into a fund that can be used for funding.

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Nov 25, 2012, 08:37 PM »
I think thats a great idea the small tax increase wouldnt hurt nearly as bad as a flat raise on everything. It already costs a bundle to go fishing for just a day when you figure in travel and everything else and when you go elk or deer hunting for a week you have to save all summer just to go!!!! I would much rather pay a small tax than be hit all at one time.

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Nov 25, 2012, 08:40 PM »
I am very aware of that Clearcreek I usually fish two rods more often than not.

I'm just saying they should make you have to purchase the right to fish with two rods.  Like in some other states.   Your license would allow 1 rod and if you want to fish with another one you have to buy a 2 pole permit for 15-20$.

Gemcityslayer:

I misunderstood what you were proposing.  You can see from the couple posts after your response to my post that charging for something that is now allowed would not be a popular thing to do.

ClearCreek

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Nov 25, 2012, 08:47 PM »
jasonfishn and er-e-is:

A number of years ago Wyoming did only allow one pole while fishing.  I am not sure when that changed, maybe 20 years.

The idea to charge a fee for a second pole has been proposed in Washington and Oregon so the idea is not totally crazy.

ClearCreek

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Nov 25, 2012, 09:16 PM »
Well I have been here for 40 years and been fishin all my life and have seen alot of fee increases. I have a large family it costs alot to fish and hunt as we all know. It will  costs me over a hundred dollars just for the licenses plus the conservation stamps and the inasive sticker and of coarse my boat tags and then the state park stickers.....so if a person that either has a limited income or a not so good paying job that lives pay check to pay check wants to fish cant because they would have to save a weeks pay just to do it not to mention the gas and bait and everything else that goes into just a day trip. If they just taxed the state for the funds they need everyone would be better off. I understand that 20n years ago we could only have one pole but the state was kind enough to allow 2 so I have a real problem charging to use 2 poles!! it all comes to this if they keep raising prices they will price themselves out of a job because people will just refuse to pay an outrageous price to fish and hunt. And if the economy keeps going down hill like it has been this small increase wont help a bit. 

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Nov 25, 2012, 10:26 PM »
What states do this ? I have fished Mt,Nd,Sd,Minn,Iowa and I never not one time payed to use 2 poles so I guess Im not sure what areas of the US. you have been fishing...

Arizona and CAstupidfornia both charge for a second rod.  I am sure there are other states as well.
Don

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Nov 25, 2012, 11:01 PM »
Utah too.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Nov 25, 2012, 11:03 PM »
I have yet to ever here of charging someone for using 2 poles thats the craziest thing I ever heard someone say !!!! thats the reason we buy a fishing license to be able to use 2 pole on open water and 6 in the winter depending on the lake. what would be the point in buying a 36 dollar fishing license and then pay 20 dollars to use a pole this idea is absolutely rediculous !!!! ITS A BAD IDEA!!!!

Why do it?  Math.  We need to come up with a way to raise more money for the G/F because I don't think they can cut their way out of this problem.  It's not absurd, it's math.  There are numerous states that have increased the revenue they bring in by charging you extra money for an extra rod.

It's not complicated is it?

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Nov 25, 2012, 11:09 PM »
I agree, a 2nd pole permit is redicilous. Raising fees is a short term fix, a few years and it will happen again and again. A 1 or 2% statewide tax sounds like a better fix. Energy companies coming in for a few years and making millions and leaving residents without jobs should be paying into a fund that can be used for funding.

I would be for some kind of energy tax.  Wyoming gets most of its revenue from natural gas I don't know why they can't just tax oil/gas/coal/wind etc a tiny amount more to cover the funding for the G/F.

But as for a 1-2% statewide sales tax you are not going to get a lot of love on that idea.  People who don't hunt/fish won't want a tax increase.  The reason I suggested the 2 pole permit is because it is a simple and easy way to increase revenue - it's not a completely wild idea either because other states have done the exact same thing.

Price increases are just a fact of life.  Everyone whines and complains about it but the vast majority of us could afford the increases.  It's been said before but you can't buy a gallon of milk for 50 cents anymore like you used to be able to... fish licenses and hunting tags are no different?  The problem is they need more money and whether you get it from a sales tax or fee increases it has got to come from somewhere.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Nov 25, 2012, 11:13 PM »
I'm with you gem. Prices go up and it's the way it is.  I am sure every time licenses (and every other thing in life) go up there is a contingency of folks up in arms and there likely always will be.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Nov 25, 2012, 11:15 PM »
Yeah well I never said I liked it but there are a lot of things I have to do that I don't care to do. ;D :P  Paying more for something today than I did years ago.... that pretty much sums up everything.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.