The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: what has happened??  (Read 774 times)

Offline polaris12

• IceShanty Rookie
what has happened??
« on: Jan 01, 2012, 01:56 PM »
Is it just me  or does anyone else out there feel like the fish and game has let the fish numbers deteriorate in Jackson lake by not stocking . we have not seen or caught the fish that we have normally caught in the last 25 yo 30 years. I  WILL NOT accept the reason for decreased numbers because of fishing pressure. the decrease did not start until about 2 to 3 years after the game and fish quit stocking . I am about ready for retirement and i have been looking forward to enjoying the last of my able years fishing this { what used to be a great wyoming fishery }. Does anyone else feel the same or is it just me???  please reply if you are interested in this .   please complain to the game and fish.     thank you

Offline lingrus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: what has happened??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2012, 03:17 PM »
po

I was going reply but I don't think you will be happy with I have to say so I'll pass.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2012, 04:52 PM »
Lake trout in Jackson Lake take about 10 years on average to reach 20", around 2lbs.  The G & F stopped stocking in 2005 or 2006.  This means that any fish that would have been stocked past 2005 would be only 15" or so at the very biggest.

Are you complaining about not catching fish less than 15"? 

There are very few lakes stocked with lake trout these days.   They have done TOO well and we end up with lakes full of skinny 20" lake trout even without stocking....

Offline wyoboypt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2012, 05:04 PM »
i have to agree with Dorado. i fish w a local from star valley and he also says that theres too many fish. he always catches small eaters and thats my experience.       so the more eaters everybody keeps the more food there is for the rest of what stays in there to eat. that lake is full of macs. a good percentage we catch have rake marks on their bodies where other fish have tried to eat them.  i feel that it needs to be thinned out. it might even be beneficial if the g&f would up the limit of fish under 20 inches.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:13 PM »
I think they did up the limit to 1 fish over 24'' this year.

Offline polaris12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:15 AM »
lingrus from greybull  i would like to here your comment. i can take the heat

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.