Author Topic: your take on gloves...  (Read 8997 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
your take on gloves...
« on: Dec 16, 2007, 10:50 AM »
i have a hard time fishing with my gloves on, insulated work type gloves. then my fingers get cold, etc. guess it comes from the years of cat and bass fishing finessing plastic worms. i hate gloves as they seem to kill any sensitivity i have.

what about you? on, off or al fresco?

then how about some glove recommendations? tnx.

~ G

Offline SEF830

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: your take on gloves...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2007, 11:11 AM »
I know what you mean about fishing w/ gloves.  Most of my fishing has been with tipups so I use those big black ice fishing mittens that go on and off real easily.  When I do jig, I use a pair of neoprene gloves.  They fit fairly tight and have rubber on the palm and all of the fingers.  I can feel just about everything with them on as I can with them off.  Especially considering the fact that without them, my hands would be numb..  I even managed to re-tie a jig with them on.

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2007, 11:21 AM »
I bring two pair.....one to tend my traps with and keep the other ones to put on when I'm waiting for that next flag.....might sound like a pain, but the one's I wear tending traps always get wet one way or tthe other.

nothing worse than frozen fingers.... :-\

Offline tjsnipehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2007, 11:35 AM »
I try not to wear gloves if I can get by without. If I need gloves then I always have 3 or 4 pairs of loose fitting jersey gloves along. I try to take one off as I'm bringing the fish up so they don't get wet but just change to the next pair when they do. I'm lucky, knock on wood, my hands are slow to get cold.
Even when wet the jersey gloves keep my hands warmer then without as long as they are not tight fitting.

Tim

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2007, 11:46 AM »
I don't think there is a perfect glove system for ice fishing.  Everyone finds what works best for them.  I usually take a few different pairs with me.

I have one pair of insulated leather work gloves that I use just for handling the power auger/fuel.  For jigging with gloves on I have found that a pair of uninsulated leather work gloves, along with a pair of snug fitting light cotton liner glove gives me the best feel, better for feel than a pair of the already insulated and bulky winter work gloves.  Then you can always take the leather outer off and still have something on your hands when baiting and changing lures, etc.  I take a couple pairs of the liners too in case they get wet.  Some times I only wear the liners if its not too cold.  The only real time up here when I get a chance to fish outside without gloves is march and april, only the odd time throughout the rest of the season.

I occasionally use the flip style wool glove/mitts, and also take a good pair of heavy insulated mitts, if my hands get cold I can slip into to warm up.  Thats if I don't have a heater with me.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2007, 12:37 PM »
Typically I have two pair of gloves with me. Both of which are wool. The first I use if it is extremely cold or my hands are getting cold are my deerskin palmed mittens. I like the fact they have enough room in them to add a pair or two of those little air activated hand warmers. Talk about warm hands and fingers  :) The second pair is a pair of the glove-mitts. The type that has half of the fingers cut off with a flap that you can pull over them to make them like a pair of mittens. They work great keeping my hands warm and I even shove a pair of those little hand warmers into the flaps of these. After re-rigging or tieing a jig with my bare fingers, I just pull the flap back over and have a nice warm spot for my finger tips  :) I like the wool since it maintains some heat retention ability even if wet.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2007, 12:44 PM »
i got them little brown cotton gloves get them from a customer bring a dozen at a time change when wet dry in car or at home p/s dont wash them w ith anything else  mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2007, 01:00 PM »
Mostly, I use fingerless gloves in in conjunction with those little chemical hand warmer pouches. My parka has hand warmer pockets just above my hips where they stay. Since I mostly jig, it's easy to switch hands when my right gets cold. A pair of warmer ski gloves stays in my box in case....

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2007, 01:30 PM »
I wear a pair of thin gloves and a pair of choppers to wear over them when they aren't doing thier job.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2007, 01:40 PM »
Mittens not gloves. Your hands stay warmer when your fingers are together instead of seperated by the fingers of gloves. When I'm fighting a fish the mittens come off anyway. I like to feel the fish on the line, can't do that with gloves on.(((((FLAG))))) :tipup:
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2007, 01:46 PM »
i've been using the ice armor mittens this year. all i have to say is that they rock ! have not had cold hands yet with those on. i've been wearing them even when jigging because i use spring bobber rods.

Offline Basskicker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2007, 02:08 PM »
I use the jersey gloves,or the cheap brown gloves,but.........I put a pair of latex surgical gloves under them.These seem to hold in your body heat because of their snug fit.Plus if your outer gloves get wet,your hands are still dry!

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2007, 02:19 PM »
I typically fish out of a Trap so with a heater or lantern I can get away with bare hands which is just my preference.  When I fish out in the elements I typically try to only fish with thin cotton work gloves with the rubber palms.  You can handle fish quite easily with them without having to get your gloves wet.

Offline fishfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2007, 02:28 PM »
I usually bring 3 or 4 pairs of gloves and mittens to fit different conditions. Chemical packs in the jacket pockets too.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:47 PM »
I usually wear Chilly Grips (look like the pic from bucketmouth) I also bring along Ice Armour mittens and Ice Armour X gloves. nothing will cut my day short faster than having frozen hands. It seems like ever since I got frostbitten my hands go quickly if I don't take care of them.

Offline XII Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never fear the night, "The Star" shines bright
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2007, 07:27 PM »
i have a pair of Ice Armor gloves but i cant jig with anything on my hands.  I have a pair of neoprene gloves in the shanty to grab the fish.  I also suffer from cracking hands...........man does that hurt
XII Outdoors............Ti mes-Two Outdoors

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2007, 07:45 PM »
i usually go gloveless  but keep a pair on me, ,my pockets work good to warm my jands up. my hnds don't get cold to easy

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2007, 09:30 PM »
No gloves for me can't tie or jig with them on. I just keep my core warm and my hands stay warm all day. on super cold days I use the hand warmer pockets on my suit to warm one and jig with the other.

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2007, 03:41 AM »
It depends what I'm fishing for.  If I'm fishing for lakers I use my ice armour gloves.  If I'm after rainbows and char I use latex examination gloves.  Latex gloves give me the dexterity to get the little ice jigs out and release the rainbows and char much quicker and my hands stay dry.  Lakers are a different story, not as much action so taking off gloves is less bothersome and the hooks are much bigger so sometimes you don't even have to take them off.
Travis

Offline chilly feet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bait?
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2007, 05:20 AM »
i have been using a pouch around my waste
like the football players use.i put a couple
of hand warmers in there also.its amazing how
warm it gets in there.and i also wear a pair of
heavy gloves while standing around.when i get a
flag the gloves go in my coat to stay warm and dry.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat601725&navAction=jump&navCount=1&cmCat=MainCatcat470076&parentType=category&parentId=cat470076

Offline chilly feet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bait?
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2007, 05:23 AM »
 sorry i cant get a direct link.

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2007, 06:00 AM »
sorry i cant get a direct link.
Cabela's makes it so you can't make a link.  Someone on here said something about them changing a O to a 0 or the other way around.
Travis

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2007, 06:47 AM »
No gloves for me unless it gets really cold.
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2007, 07:25 PM »
I put gloves on for the trip out & back. Rarely have any on while fishing.

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:41 PM »
How do you guys hold your can of beer my hands get to cold ,mitts keep my hands warmer also.JMO.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2007, 09:50 AM »
I typically fish out of a Trap so with a heater or lantern I can get away with bare hands which is just my preference.  When I fish out in the elements I typically try to only fish with thin cotton work gloves with the rubber palms.  You can handle fish quite easily with them without having to get your gloves wet.

(Image removed from quote.)
I usually wear Chilly Grips (look like the pic from bucketmouth) I also bring along Ice Armour mittens and Ice Armour X gloves. nothing will cut my day short faster than having frozen hands. It seems like ever since I got frostbitten my hands go quickly if I don't take care of them.

Check my thread in "for sale", I have a pile of chilly grips yet.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=60569.0

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2007, 09:54 AM »
For deer hunting, I use one of these with one of those hot hand packets in in

I am guessing this is what Chilly Feet is talking about. 

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2007, 10:15 AM »
Those things are great. I have one for deer hunting too. Put a couple hand warmers in there and you are set for Antarctica. ;D

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2007, 12:10 PM »
How do you guys hold your can of beer my hands get to cold ,mitts keep my hands warmer also.JMO.

Drink REALLY fast!!!

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2007, 11:32 AM »
The most important thing is an old hand towel.  You can bring as many pairs of gloves as you want, but if you keep stuffing your wet hands into them, they become useless.  Also helps to wipe the fish slime off your hands when the occasional northern pike slams one of your laker set ups. 
A bent rod is a good rod!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.