Author Topic: White Mickeye Mouse Boots?  (Read 9197 times)

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
White Mickeye Mouse Boots?
« on: Dec 24, 2006, 03:34 PM »
 I was thinking about buying another pair of icefishing boots. I currently have a pair of Cabela's Iditerod boots supposed to be good to -150?
How are the White Mickeys when it comes to keeping your feet warm all day?
Also where would be the best place to buy them?
Thanks for all replies and any info you might like to give about these boots.
Terry 

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: White Mickeye Mouse Boots?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2006, 03:37 PM »
I have the black Mickeys and I bought them at army/ navy surplus. The sportsman Guide also has them but they are more.

Offline LoaderGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Boats Afloat , Shores Ashore
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2006, 04:33 PM »
I use the MM boots and highly recommend them! They"ll keep your feet warm all day even if they get wet.

My two cents,
Steve
GET JIGGIE WITH IT !

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2006, 05:10 PM »
Most people up here have up have at least one pair in their house and swear by them. We have even wear them out on fire calls. They are just as important as duct tape and tarps. I know people who have snowmachined and have gotten into overflow and their boots have been full of water and all they did was to dump out the water and keep going and had their feet stay warm.

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2006, 05:32 PM »
I wear my boots from oct-april and have never had a pair last more than 2 years until I got a pair of $30 mickey mouse boots, never leave home without them. Had a pair going on 5 years now, they still look like the day I got them, the date on the inside says 1972 they don't look a day over 30...  :D

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline bhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2006, 08:03 PM »
You can't go wrong with a pair of white Mickey's. Just make sure there is no dry rot on them. If you see cracking return them. Got mine on ebay.

Offline perch eyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2006, 08:13 PM »
from what i understand, the white mickey's and black mickey's are the same exept for the color obviously.  My dad had a pair of each and they were the same.  I have heard some people saying that the white ones are for colder weather, but i don't believe this is true.  Anyway, you can't beat mickey's for keeping your feet warm.  Maybe check out e-bay.
Ben

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2006, 08:38 PM »
Well worth the money!!!

-Dave
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2006, 10:22 PM »
A good friend of mine owns 3 pair of Mickey's, also highly recommends them.
He suggested I buy one size larger. Would you guys also recommend a size wider too? He told me when you buy Mickey's you want to have plenty of room in them and wear a good high quality sock and my feet will stay warm all day. When you bought yours, did you also buy 1 size wider? 

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2006, 10:41 PM »
I also have a pair of Mickey's with 1972 stamped on the inside.  The best Mickey Mouse boots are the actual government issued "Bata" boots.  There are several knock-offs which just don't hold up.  The white ones, from what I understand, are one of these.  JMHO.  :)

-Zach

Offline g3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • life is good!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2006, 06:26 AM »
bought mine on e-bay,they are black and my feet neber get cold.

Offline NickN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2006, 07:11 AM »
MM Boots are the best...  A little on the heavy side but, they sure keep your feet nice and warm.  Do yourself a favor and pick up a pair.

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2006, 03:08 PM »

Had a pair for about 15-20 years until they dry rotted, but was never cold and loved 'em. The dry rot was my fault. I moved into my winter climbing boots after the dry rot and they are OK for warmth but the tread design fills with sow and ice. Was looking at getting another pair here quick for the season ahead, but I don't know if I'll need anything that warm this year. I believe the white version is the air force issue and the black is the army version if my info is correct.

Offline Birdhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2006, 06:38 PM »

I wore MM boots when I was station in Fort Greely, Alaska. La Crosse Iceman are the best cold weather boot made.
  The only thing you should buy any of those boots 11/2 size larger. They are large, great for ice fishing in Wisconsin.

Happy  Holidays :tipup:

Birdhunter

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2006, 08:46 PM »
Can anyone recommend a smalltime central NY (non Gander/BassPro) supplier?  I'd like to check 'em out, but would prefer to buy them from someone local (save shipping and support the homefront).

Thanks,
Bigfish_1556
"A man is only as big as that which makes him angry" -Adlai Stevenson

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2006, 10:39 PM »
I bought my Mickeys off of Ebay 3 years ago and it has been the best icefishing purchase so far (besides my Vex).
Didnt get a size large and havent found a reason yet as to why I should have.
The most I have worn inside then has been a pair of polypro's and wools over them...
But on days where it isnt that cold, my normal every day socks are plenty!

A lot of the local surplus places sell them at a pretty high price... I got mine for $45. w/shipping on Ebay.
Look closely at the pic though and if in doubt that they are the actual pair, contact the seller...
Inquire about dryrot! It is very common with these boots, but it is prevented if taken care of well!
(When not in use, mine are in a tied up garbage bag and stored in the basement!)

The "Beta's" to my knowledge are the best ones... and mostly what are sold on Ebay and surplus stores.
However, there are knock-offs among them as well...
Im almost positive that the Sportsman Guide ones are knock-offs! Not positive though...  :-\

And to BIGFISH... Im not sure where you are located in NY...
But try giving TELL-EM-WHERE-YOU-GOT-IT a call... they are in Wayland,NY and I think you may find the number on here somewhere in a baitshop/tackle store thread!
I am not aware of BassPro's or Ganders selling these boots!

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2006, 09:42 AM »
Guys, Thanks for all your helpful replies, Your replies were greatly appreciated on making up my mind as to whether or not to buy a pair. I've got a pair of white bunnies coming. Now if we ever get any ice!
Thanks again
Terry

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2006, 03:24 PM »
Another thing I forgot in my post...

Someone had mentioned in an earlier post that they are a bit heavy... you get used to that!
But what makes them heavy is the fact that they have a very thick sole... but thats a good thing.
Because of the size of the sole and the overall size of the foot(mine are 13's), Its hard to put cleats on them!
Some of the rubber ones end p breaking or sliding off, and the strap ones are too much on/off work!...lol

So here is what I did... I measured the thickness of the sole and it is roughly 1 1/2 inches or better on mine.
So I went to the hardware store and bought a box of 100 1/4 inch long Hexhead screws...
Got out the cordless drill and went to town... each boot has about 20 screws in the bottom of each.
None of them poke threw in any to effect my feet, and if one pops off, I have plenty of replacements!

And the grab incredibly well because of the top of the head and the cut in it for a screwdriver slot!
I havent fallen yet... well, at least not from slipping on the ice!...lol  ;D

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2006, 09:17 PM »

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2006, 09:34 PM »
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2006, 12:54 PM »
best winter boot around! I've been wearing mine since 1988!

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2006, 07:55 PM »
can only confirm all of the posive atributes noted above...love mine, actually forgot i had 'em till last year..duh. years of cold feet for no reason

Snot Rocket
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2007, 06:21 PM »
I think like was previously mentioned that the white mouse boots were Air Force and the black were Army issue. The surplus store told me that. I liked buying there because I can try them on.

Offline gordify

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2007, 11:23 PM »
I did a few weeks of cold weather training in Norway and they told use the whites where rated for - 30 and the blacks -10.  Some Marines got issued the blacks and some the whites and the only difference was the whites where a little more bulky. I remember the temps being minus nuts in my throat, but my feet never got cold!

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2007, 08:31 PM »
I was also in the Army in Alaska and have used the white MM boots (officially they are Vapor Barrier boots) in temps down to -65 with warm feet.  The only potential problem with the VB boots is trench foot, from wearing them for days without changing your socks or airing out your feet.  This is easy to do when on military field exercises in winter Alaska, but not a real problem for ice fishing.  Just take a spare pair of socks, and take the boots off every half day or so, air out your feet, change your socks, and you're good to go.  We used to put the used socks inside our coats to dry and air out.  Some also used foot powder to dry their feet, but I found the powder can ball up around the toes and be a pain when covering country. 

Also, rinse the boots out with fresh water between trips.  They are a fungal jungle as they basically stew your feet in their own warm, fetid air.

After the season is over, I rinse mine with a mild bleach solution inside and out (kills germs and keeps them looking white), and rinse them out good with fresh water.  Then air dry and store in a bag that allows air to circulate.  They will likely out last me.

Tight Lines.

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2007, 10:19 PM »
Great read on the Micky's.

What is the purpose of the "valve?"

Fran 8)
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2007, 10:32 PM »
The valve is for airborne troops.  Opening the valve allows the pressure inside the boots to adjust to the changing atmospheric pressure as the airborne troops take off, fly at altitude, and then parachute to the ground. 

Offline Medson25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2007, 03:56 PM »
so then the valve has effect on the warmth or quality of the boot? at least as far as ice fishing would be concerned.

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 26, 2007, 07:36 PM »
i suppose if the valve is open heat would escape out of valve lessening the efficacy of the boots. the military application of the valve is this...if the boots are put on properly you are creating a near airtight system within the boot. this is in part what makes them work so well in the severe cold. however if troops were to be wearing them while being transported via aircraft they would need to open the valves as they increased in altitude as any air captured in the boots would expand as altitude incresed ,and requires a mechanism to release expanded air. otherwise expanded air in air boots would cause compression on feet reduce circulation and potentially cause legitimate medical problems.
            unless you are planning on flying with mickey mouse boots on the valves should be closed and remain closed.

Snot Rocket  (ex USAF/NYANG combat flight medic on AC-130 hercules )
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline Medson25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2007, 11:49 AM »
I've seen some without a valve, is this still the same quality of boot?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.