Author Topic: Wool Sweater  (Read 2192 times)

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
Wool Sweater
« on: Sep 01, 2013, 11:06 PM »
I am looking for a wool sweater for the upcoming season.  What sweaters do you guys wear, what do you like about it what do you not like about it? 

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
Re: Wool Sweater
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2013, 07:12 AM »
'Nice sweater, Neil.'   I dont wear one.  Kind of bulky, unless I really really need it.  But I do wear an insulated wool shirt.  That way I can unbutton if needed.  Wool is a great insulator though. 

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2013, 08:57 AM »
wool turtlekneck sweaters are great. They are warm and keep the cold air from going down the front of your shirt. I wear one quite often when bucket fishing or when a long ride on snow machine,  Steve

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2013, 09:27 AM »
No more wool for me now for years, Polar Fleece and  the like do a better job. Washable, nothing eats it, does not shrink, smells less, if I go throw the ice I can ring it out and it still retains heat ( speak from experiences), less bulky, does not "catch" hooks as easy as wool, MUCH lighter and best of all I can get it cheaper! It's not that I don't like wool, I do and use to wear it all the time, but Polar Fleece works better in so many ways...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2013, 09:50 AM »
Check out a Salvation Army Thrift Store, I have picked up several top quality wool sweaters there for $3 and less.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2013, 10:31 AM »
with the suits/jackets they make now for icefishing the wool sweaters are a thing of the past.i cant imagine wearing wool under my striker coat.or arctic armor.id get a nice ice jacket  over a wool sweater..about the same price too.

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2013, 08:49 AM »
with the suits/jackets they make now for icefishing the wool sweaters are a thing of the past.i cant imagine wearing wool under my striker coat.or arctic armor.id get a nice ice jacket  over a wool sweater..about the same price too.

Thats the problem, I hate wearing my jacket when I am actually fishing, I wear it on the way out or if I am making a big move but after that its off and I am running and gunning, so I was hoping to find something to keep the wind off and keep me semi-warm while I run around.  I was looking at one of those Cabelas Micro Berber pullover with Windstopper, I guess its not wool so maybe asking for advice on a "wool" sweater was a bit off.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2013, 09:17 AM »
Cabelas Micro Berber pullover with Windstopper
With the Windstopper, you will find it a very good choice for what you described...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2013, 09:32 AM »
wool turtlekneck sweaters are great. They are warm and keep the cold air from going down the front of your shirt. I wear one quite often when bucket fishing or when a long ride on snow machine,  Steve

X 2. I have one almost like this and love it, especially the zippered neck.

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2013, 12:48 PM »

X 2. I have one almost like this and love it, especially the zippered neck.

Where did you get that, thats exactly what I want.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.