Author Topic: Wicking Socks for Boots  (Read 11951 times)

Offline whoflungpoo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Wicking Socks for Boots
« Reply #60 on: Jan 06, 2014, 06:51 PM »
Cold feet is something I've struggled with, I'll share something that works for me but YMMV

If I wear an insulated boot, I put on very thin merino wool socks basically sock liners. The insole needs to be insulated to minimize heat loss to the ice while sitting.

My feet sweat easy so the thin merino socks wick and breathe and the boot does its job insulating. Adding a thick wool sock seems to prevent moisture movement and my feet get clammy. I heard some pro skiers don't even wear socks. I know this is my problem because if I don't dry or change thick socks after walking my feet get cold after an hour of sitting.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:10 PM »
you can also spray deodorant on your sweaty stinky feet ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:13 PM »
This site has them on sale. Gill grabber, what type did you buy?
[urlhttp://www.socksaddict.com/Categories/344-Darn-Tough.aspx/1/1%5eMen%27s%2c%23A%5eCrew][/url]

I'm not sure which ones they are.  The ones I bought from the Military supply store are heavy, over the calf, OD green colored wool socks.  I wore them today ( -15 below ) and they kept my feet much warmer than I expected in my black leather uniform boots. 
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:14 PM »
I had the same problem for years, tried all kinds socks then tried Mickey mouse boots.....problem solved! Give them a try I have not had cold feet since I started wearing them

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #64 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:22 PM »
I use merino wool socks and I am fine, I am interested in trying out the poly blend dress sock underneath. I have had wet feet and the merino wool managed to keep my feet content, not necessarily warm but not bad enough for me to lose interesting once fishing for that day in very cold temps.

I usually tie my boots just enough so they do not fall off my feet. Circulation and starting out with dry boots are key for me as my feet do sweat. I have no issues driving up to an hour with them on my feet and then going fishing.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #65 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:34 PM »
alpaca socks expensive but worth it

I've used the Smart Wool and merino wool socks for several years, and they work very well for me.  This year I got a pair of Alpaca socks and they are much more comfortable, thinner and warmer than any sock I've ever used. 
Also, I don't wear my heavy boots while driving, I wear a pair of slip ons and change when I get to the lake.  I've never used a liner either. 

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #66 on: Feb 15, 2014, 11:27 PM »
Also, I don't wear my heavy boots while driving, I wear a pair of slip ons and change when I get to the lake.
I do the same. Worst thing to do is start out the day with sweaty feet.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #67 on: Feb 16, 2014, 05:15 AM »
Alpaca socks like previously stated, expensive but good  :thumbsup:

WS

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 17, 2014, 01:36 PM »
I do the same. Worst thing to do is start out the day with sweaty feet.
Huge mistake people make, is blowing heat on the floor. I also wear a pair of shoes out and change into my boots when I get there.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:22 AM »
I'm one of the lucky ones, its very hard for me to get cold. I just put on some thick socks (any material except cotton) and put it in my boot. I've used regular wool, merino wool, polyester, alpaca, and some other synthetics. The best for me was wool because its cheap. Alpaca was the best, but it was just crazy priced. Like all socks, they are now lost to where all socks mysteriously disappear to.  For deer hunting (sitting still from an hour before light to an hour after light, no lunch break for me) I use synthetic material dress socks, a wool sock, and then a really big wool sock over that. Don't compress your feet with socks, get them plenty big. Also get big enough boots. It should not be a form fit unless your walking 3+ miles in which case you will not get cold.
-Tom

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 25, 2014, 03:55 PM »
I had some cold/wet conditions for the last day of the pike season this year. It was 16"+ inches of snow and lots of drifts. Plus we just got a lot of snow, and there was a few inches of water/slush under the snow. All I did was put a plastic bag over my pac boot, and stuffed it in the boot. Then for socks I put on my 100% polypropylene liner socks, and put on my thinnest wool socks. It worked great. Because the boot did not breath, my feet would get sweaty. The polypro socks do a great job staying dry, and wool works even when wet.
-Tom

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #71 on: Feb 25, 2014, 04:02 PM »
I have started to change into my boots when I get to fishing spot.

A couple days ago I tried out just wearing dress/work socks with my boots because it was all slushy and the boots I wear in slop are waterproof and do not breathe very well. Today I wore my regular pack boots with merino wool socks and my feet were warm all day too.

Warm feet all day in dress socks   ;D

Who woulda thunk it??
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Aug 26, 2014, 08:44 AM »
What type of socks should you use for the rubber "Mickey Mouse" boots?  I love mine but by the afternoon my feet get cold and when I get back to the motel my feet are very damp.

Thanks,
Vaughan ???

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Aug 26, 2014, 08:56 AM »
gotta have poly pro sock liners. And stay away from cotton socks. The poly pro liners will wick the persperation away from the skin but it has to put it somewhere. Cotton absorbs moisture and holds it which will make your feet cold. Wool, will also hold the moisture, but the thing about wool is, it gets warmer as it gets wet. Silk works almost as good as the poly pro but the poly pro liners are easier to find. For dryer, warmer feet, poly pro liners and light wool socks.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Aug 26, 2014, 08:59 AM »
Yep. What he said. Poly pro liners, heavier wool sock over them. Cotton kills in the winter. If your feet sweat badly, hit them with roll on antiperspirant.closes up the pores, works great!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #75 on: Aug 26, 2014, 09:25 AM »
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=78989

giving these a try this season ...if they don't work for winter use I will recycle them for turkey season ..been using poly socks for quite some time ...you also gota have a high content wool sock ...getting harder to find wool socks with high content at a fair price .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #76 on: Aug 26, 2014, 10:32 AM »
These work for me. Many different wool ones at Fleet Farm.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/fox-river-mills-norwegian-crew-socks/0000000053486
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.