Author Topic: Wife just dropped hint: "I should realy have some nice snowpants.."..help choose  (Read 4824 times)

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Going thru the black friday ads.  The wife mentioned " I realy could use some snow pants.  All I wear are my pants with thermals".

Ok guys.  Got any advice on a brand?
Ideally id like something that will last long term, and top notch quality.

I figure the sooner I get these pants on her the sooner we will be on the ice with less "nagging..."

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
ice armor blue suit

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
I just picked up some Ice Armor bibs and I love them. Frabill makes a very high quality suit as well.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
 Ice Armor makes ladies sizes in ladies colors, maybe check into that.

The padded butt and knees are ideal for fishing. Just don't get her anything fuzzy like hush hide or other "quiet" fabrics for hunting, they freeze to the ice.

http://www.glensoutdoors.com/Ice-Armor-Women-s-Extreme-Suit-p/870x.htm?gclid=CKbXxpSG47MCFegWMgodxwIAaA&gdftrk=gdfV24023_a_7c2063_a_7c8559_a_7c870x

She won't get cold in Extreme.... I promise! ;)

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
How well do the bibs/suits from the ice fishing companies compare to say brands like columbia ornorthface etc...

i just want to make sure i get her the best snowpants possible.  fishing brand or not

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I got the blue suit last year and I absolutely love it.  Waterproof, windproof, they have knee pads, plenty of easy accessible pockets.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
How well do the bibs/suits from the ice fishing companies compare to say brands like columbia ornorthface etc...

i just want to make sure i get her the best snowpants possible.  fishing brand or not

The Columbia and North Face stuff I've seen or owned weren't great for ice fishing, they generally don't have padded and reinforced knees and the material is lighter.  They are geared for more active winter activities, such as skiing and snowboarding.

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
 Don't listen to these guys and their fancy suits. And Walmart pair will do just fine

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Don't listen to these guys and their fancy suits. And Walmart pair will do just fine

Is this a serious response?  I know that wal-mart equipment is less expensive, but it is no where near the quality of an ice fishing suit. 
You and your wife will both appreciate if you spend a little more up front for an actual ice fishing suit.  It is what they were made for. 

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'd go to a ski/snowboard place.  Snowboarding pants have been around for ever, they are padded in the knees, warm and waterproof.  There are a lot of brands and I bet the ice armour stuff is a whole lot more expensive.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
My problem with that is the material they use, that stuff wouldn't take an accidental run in with the heater in the shanty very well at all. 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
It's hard to recommend something when I have no idea where you are at or how cold it gets there. For the sixty below wind factor days here I would probably go for Ice Armor Extreme bibs if you don't care if they float. I say this because I can walk into a store here and look at them. I have to say you are the first person that has ever asked me for help getting his wife into her pants.  :o ;D :icefish: It's all in fun ya know.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
That sums it up.

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
It's hard to recommend something when I have no idea where you are at or how cold it gets there. For the sixty below wind factor days here I would probably go for Ice Armor Extreme bibs if you don't care if they float. I say this because I can walk into a store here and look at them. I have to say you are the first person that has ever asked me for help getting his wife into her pants.  :o ;D :icefish: It's all in fun ya know.

Haha .... I thought same thing. And was just wondering how long it would be until someone said something

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
I'd go to a ski/snowboard place.  Snowboarding pants have been around for ever, they are padded in the knees, warm and waterproof.  There are a lot of brands and I bet the ice armour stuff is a whole lot more expensive.

You'd bet wrong... It's priced quite reasonably.

Ski and snowboard stuff doesn't have all the pockets too. I have really nice snowmobile bibs and jacket, I still own IA because it's set up better. If you take the Wal-Mart garbage out of the picture, quality ski and snowboard jackets easily exceed the price of an entire IA or Frabil suit.

The Wal Mart garbage is just that, garbage. I don't even buy it for my kids anymore. It's not that much cheaper and it never lasts well enough to be handed down to the next kid. It is a waste of money in my opinion.

Fleet Farm has their own stuff too, It didn't look to shabby when I was looking the other day.

It's hard to recommend something when I have no idea where you are at or how cold it gets there.

I'm pretty sure he is in MN, but it sure would help if he put his location in his profile! ;)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
You said you wanted the best for ice fishing? Stay away from ski/skate shops and Walmart. The IA stuff is the bees knees.

Offline Hardwater fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
You won't go wrong with the blue suit Ice Armor I have had mine for three years The only reason I got it is because my neighbor bought it for a gift for his dad and he didn't want it I paid 150 for it used but not used! After wearing it I would pay what ever it takes to get one if my old one craps out! I don't Ice fish with out it! It's also good for late season boat fishing!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Yo

I'm pretty sure he is in MN, but it sure would help if he put his location in his profile! ;)

Yup, location helps a LOT when people post...and saves time. Wish it was required.
 I seldom try to get them IN pants,  ::) but I'd show her some in the LL Bean, Sportsmans Guide, etc. type catalogs, and then take her around to the sporting goods stores (while you browse too, ahem) and let her try them on, according to what she likes.I think you'll find more "fasionable" types in ski and snowboard stores, but ya never know. Throw in your knowledge of ice gear, and you should be able to find a pair that suit her just fine, and that she'll be happy with.  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
You'd bet wrong... It's priced quite reasonably.

Ski and snowboard stuff doesn't have all the pockets too. I have really nice snowmobile bibs and jacket, I still own IA because it's set up better. If you take the Wal-Mart garbage out of the picture, quality ski and snowboard jackets easily exceed the price of an entire IA or Frabil suit.

I'll stay away from your comments as you are a mod and are plugging all sponsor products.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
I've been looking and found these. I am thinking I will go for them in the next day or so. Read the description. They look real good. and the Price is good.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?p=WX2&i=233430
<===Lefty===

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'll stay away from your comments as you are a mod and are plugging all sponsor products.

Wow.  ::) ::)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Haha .... I thought same thing. And was just wondering how long it would be until someone said something

And you still haven't posted your location.! But since you said:" All I wear are my pants with thermals" I assume you are not in too cold a climate.

And I just ordered my Arctix Tundra Bibs. I found their web site and they are usually $99 Plus.

Two big pockets with the Reflector covers and two other pockets up high.
<===Lefty===

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looks like a great deal.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic

Wow.  ::) ::)

+1

Hey Santo.... That is mighty unfriendly to call my integrity into question. I am offended and I feel you are being unfair.

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sorry to get back to you brothers so late.

We live in Central MN.  We have a place in Ely ( Babbit ) as well.  Well the in-laws have a place in Babbit  :)

I went to Thorne Bros. tonight and scored an awsome deal....
Will post a pic tomorow.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
What did ya get?

I warned you about the perils of buying clothing for a woman, right? ;D

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Here's what I ended up getting.

Stryker bibs.  Last years model.
$99

Deal?
These any good?

Offline strik

• IceShanty Rookie

WOW  was this  a  joke ..................

Thanks to all mods 

to bad you have to  deal with this  crap

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Striker makes a good product but they did have an issue with crotch seams recently. Take a close look at the crotch, pull at the seams and see if anything is loose. If it is just call striker and they'll take care of you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.