Author Topic: Ice Armor gear  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Armor gear
« on: Nov 09, 2011, 04:27 PM »
I am looking to upgrade my ice fishing clothing this year.  Im looking at buying the blue ice armor suit and the boots with their socks.  Is the blue ice armor suit warm or do you need to wear extra clothing under it.  Also what's everyones experience with the ice armor boots.  Are they warm?  I've heard they are big and bulky is this true? 

Offline chillinNgillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Armor gear
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2011, 04:36 PM »
I went with arctic armor light and warm and will float you if you should ever fall through.Hopefully nobody gets to checkout the buoyancy  of it.

Offline ShortStix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2011, 04:40 PM »
I love my blue suit lots more flexible then carharts. I just wear my long johns and sweatpants under the bibs. lots of pockets inside and out. the padded knees are a big bonus. I haven't tried the boots I wear cabelas pack boots but I own ice armor gloves,socks,hats, and blue suit and have had no complaints.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2011, 04:53 PM »
Love my ice armor suit but I went with pac boots lots said clam boots leaked  :tipup:
Just enjoying life

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2011, 05:05 PM »
I like my Ice Armor grey suite as well. No excuse being cold in that. And I am a cold blooded person which is why I went grey instead of blue. Everyone on here likes their Arctic Armor Suites, but from my experience its not that great of a coat. My fiance has one and he hates it. Doesnt keep him very warm. Course we fish really cold temps and cold windchills, often negative windchills.
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline inHISgrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2011, 05:59 PM »
best ice fishing boot are micky boots.  super warm and 100% water proof ....................eb ay 30 to 50 buck brand new
I LIKE FISHING BUT LIKE CATCHING EVEN MORE

Offline mparzick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2011, 06:10 PM »
love my blue set used them today windy and -4 i was warm all day got there gloves to

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:03 PM »
My summer rain gear woks just as well, after 3 sets of leaky/poorly made gloves doubtfull I'll ever again buy clam clothing products again....mush cheaper and better stuff out there. My bibs I currently wear cost me $27...

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:09 PM »
i wear the bluesuit. jeans and long jons on the bottom. Underarmor and sweatshirt on top.  the nice thing i find with the blue suit is its roomy for extra clothes if its cold or  go with just a sweatshirt if its warm.  the suit is waterproof if it happens to rain late season and doesn't get crusty on the legs like carharts.  never had the boots. i have a pair of snowstalkers from cabelas.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:33 PM »
Had my blue suit for 6 or 7 years with no issues with the hardware (zippers, snaps, pulls), and the stitching is still tight. They're cheap now, but a bit clunky compared to the newer, pricier suits.

They call it armor for a reason. It's mostly blocker outerwear. You likely will want to layer your torso.
Here in CT I just wear jeans under the bibs, and I'm good to 0 degrees and wind. It doesn't get much colder than that for us. I layer up top and unless it's windy or really cold (or snowing), my jacket gets hung over my chair.

Liked my original Ice Armor gloves initially, but ran into issues after a season or two. Can't recommend them. Also have a pair of the extreme gloves, which are some serious gauntlet style. I'm 6'2" and they go pretty far up my forearm. The quality is good on those.

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:42 PM »
I also have the blue suit and it is probably one of the best investments I have made for ice fishing. I have fished in temps as low as -10f and have not had any issues with being cold.  I wear polar weight long johns a sweatshirt and jeans under mine. The other thing I really like is that it's not super heavy so you don't look like ralphie from the Christmas story.  Its a really comfortable suit makes being on the ice that much better.  I don't think you will be disappointed.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2011, 08:26 AM »
I agree with the majority of the statements above. I have had my blue suit for 5-6 seasons and it has held up really well. I bought an ice armor bomber to go under the jacket for extra warmth, if you are looking for a warmer suit the grey suit was designed to be warmer then the blue.

if I was to buy a new suit today, i would take a close look at the new Frabills, very nice

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2011, 08:37 AM »
Thanks for all the info.  I think im sold on the blue suit, and plan to buy one.  The boots on the other hand I think im might pass on.  This isn't the first time I have heard that they leak.  Just not sure what boots im going to with yet. 

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2011, 09:23 AM »
Just not sure what boots im going to with yet.

take a good look at the Cabela's Trans Alaskans

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 10, 2011, 09:51 AM »
if you want a boot that is warm and 100% waterproof everytime, i recommend rubber. i wear lacrosse alphaburley 1200s. im about ready for new ones and if i dont buy the same boot again, ill most likely buy irish setter exoflex rubber boots.

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10, 2011, 11:24 AM »
I love my gray suit....been in some nasty cold weather and havent been cold yet!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.