Author Topic: IDI Artic Armor Ice Fishing Suit  (Read 10666 times)

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: IDI Artic Armor Ice Fishing Suit
« Reply #30 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:22 PM »
Thanks Otto!!

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2010, 11:36 PM »
Yes it does, I have the CAMO and it is the same suit as the red or green ones.  Or the ugly Green Bay ones too ::)
It is more expensive because it is camo but all the features are the same.

More expensive not because of Camo but because it's FLEECE on the outside and quiet in the woods if you use 'em for hunting, I just bought five pair of 'em at the Syracuse show and they were about $20. more in Camo, but well worth it to us hunters. The red/black I got for my son who doesn't hunt and the outside ain't fleeced and would be quite noisy if you hunted in it.

Whatever you get they'll help save you if you go through, and they'll help float a couple extra people too. Check out their video's.
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 29, 2010, 12:05 AM »
More expensive not because of Camo but because it's FLEECE on the outside and quiet in the woods if you use 'em for hunting, I just bought five pair of 'em at the Syracuse show and they were about $20. more in Camo, but well worth it to us hunters. The red/black I got for my son who doesn't hunt and the outside ain't fleeced and would be quite noisy if you hunted in it.

Whatever you get they'll help save you if you go through, and they'll help float a couple extra people too. Check out their video's.
If the suit will float me, it's float a small family ! ;D ;D    When I went through in front of Oneida Shores last season, I was amazed at how fast I popped to the surface and how dry I was underneath after I got out of the water !   Had water in the Mickey Mouse boots and my legs were a little wet from my ankles to the middle of my calf.     
  From that minute on, I suddenly realized that I would now take chances that I'd normally not take  :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Now if I could only figure out a way to mount an electric trolling motor to the coat, I'd be in business ! ;D ;D
PLASTICS ARE FANTASTIC  !!

Offline Fish On69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 29, 2010, 01:29 AM »
Just curious... Is the all black armor suit insulated? I know some of the green/black and red/black differ but wasn't sure about the all black.

-Dave

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 29, 2010, 01:32 AM »
Just curious... Is the all black armor suit insulated? I know some of the green/black and red/black differ but wasn't sure about the all black.

-Dave
YES.    The black suits are insulated.  I have a full black suit and love it !
PLASTICS ARE FANTASTIC  !!

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #35 on: Dec 29, 2010, 08:29 AM »

Yes Chainsaw, you're right, the camo is a softer material than the other suits.  It is not fleece like a fleece sweater, it is more like a heavy nylon with flocking.  It is very quiet and soft  and it does look very sturdy.  I just got mine, and I believe that it will stand up to ice fishing demands.   If you duck or deer hunt as well as ice fish, the camo is a good choice.  If it is just for ice fishing, any of the color suits may be a better choiceand save some money.  There is one suit that has fleece on the inside of it, I think it is the black one.  I tried it on at the Syracuse Ice Fishing show and it was hard to pull over my sweatshirt.  The camo one has a nylon lining and it slips right over easily.

RGFIXIT thanks for calling it out.  I remember reading about your friend at Sodus last year.  I am so sorry.  Even though I have this IDI suit, I still would never go ice fishing alone.  I am 50 years old, have a wife, 2 daughters, and a business with 80 employees that rely on me.  It is all too much to risk as it is, let alone taking extra chances. 

Offline A-TOM-MIK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasing perch the last 27 years
I aint' got a lot but I think I got it made !!! In the shade...........
- Hank Williams Jr.

Lovin' Life !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S71EfNNRg_s
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1174207024#!/profile.php?id=1174207024

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #37 on: Dec 29, 2010, 01:52 PM »
Anybody?
Made out of the same material as the rest of them with a softer, quieter shell.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 29, 2010, 04:25 PM »
guys all the arctic amour suits have the exact same amount of insulation in them, 3 layers of insultex. The only difference between the "regular" and the "plus" is that the plus has a brushed tricot lining and the regular just has the regular quilted nylon lining. no difference between them as far as insuluation or warmth (except the plus may initially "feel" warmer on bare skin).

I have talked to some guys with the plus ones and they say the brushed lining can make it difficult to pull your coat and bibs on over your layers.

IDI also listes both the "regular" and the "Plus" for the same price on their website.

J-

Offline Mr. Shanny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the goin' gets tough, I go ice fishing!!!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:52 PM »
I wore my suit for the first time on Saturday.  All I can say is WOW!  I can tell you right now that I'm going to have to change my way of layering!  Under the bibs, I wore my Cabela's insulated pants.  Under the jacket, I wore an under armor long sleeve t-shirt and a zip up fleece jacket.  Like many people have stated, they got moisture on their clothing because the jacket does not breathe.  Well, I didn't get moisture on the top because I feel like I layered right, but the insulated Cabela's pants were too much and my bibs had wet areas.  Now, I'm going with an extremely light pair of fleece (polyester) pants under the bibs.  I know that will be enough.   I didn't get cold or wet to the skin because my Cabela's pants are waterproof.  Once I get my layering system down, I know this will be the BEST!

Someone told me that people get moisture under their AA because they are wearing too heavy of clothing under it.   Thin layers and you can always take some off. 

Offline Lost Kangaroo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:50 PM »
I fished well into the evening tonight....16f out plus the wind.
I wore under armor tops and bottoms.....my ice shanty fleece on top with my arctic armor on top.
I was too warm most of the time, spent a lot of it with the jacket undone.
This stuff is the best.

Roo.

Offline rks-icer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 30, 2010, 02:19 AM »
I have the green and black suit. I couldn't be more happy with it. Good piece of mind, very warm and waterproof.

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:53 AM »
Went down to 1 polyester shirt and a pair of polyester long underwear under the suit yesterday.  Temp was around 30, no wind, and walked maybe 250 yards out onto the ice.  After the walk and drilling 6 holes, worked up a sweat and felt cold the rest of the afternoon.  Forgot to bring a change of clothes as I usually do.  The suit is just too warm for me.  Don't want to take the jacket off as then it's not fulfilling it's purpose as a safety suit.
Leave it better than you found it

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #43 on: Dec 31, 2010, 01:44 PM »
The last time I was on the ice I took the jacket off while getting set up and drilling holes. Since I was on 16" of ice I wasn't too worried about the flotation aspect of it. If I keep it on I will sweat while being active. I have worn the jacket while using a snowblower and ended up with the sweatshirt I was wearing under it getting damp.

timberdoodle

« Reply #44 on: Jan 02, 2011, 06:36 PM »

I have talked to some guys with the plus ones and they say the brushed lining can make it difficult to pull your coat and bibs on over your layers.

J-

That is the only thing I have had to work around with my suit. I have the plus suit and did a little experimenting before the season. I found a pair of 7 dollar pair of nylon running pants that work awesome. The bibs slide right over the pants and are plenty warm. I wear a long sleeve Techwick shirt under the jacket and have been more then warm. Can't wait to see how it works the end of January when it actually gets cold. Amazing how much nicer it is not having 5 layers on.

Offline downunder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 04, 2011, 02:20 PM »
Just got mine. Red and Black. Im 6ft 215 and the large was perfect.Really like the pull up zipper in the crotch on the bibs.Only thing is the turtle head wants to go back in when it feels the cold.Gota pull hard. :oGreat Suit.Love how light it is too!

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 05, 2011, 02:20 PM »
I've spent some time in brutal Iowa/Minnesota cold weather (-10 & -20) and stayed pretty warm while fishing on my knees all day. Under Armor (base 3) as a base layer then went with a pair of work out pants and hooded sweat shirt. I wish the gear had a place to hang some jigs (little patch of wool maybe) similar to the clam suit. I appreciate the gear and it seems to be wearing well. I want to buy the conditioner thats out there for it.
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #47 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:41 PM »
I have the red and black Arctic Armor and the left breast pocket has a flap made of some type of shearling that holds Jigs. I think they took them off of the newer coats because too many people didn't like them. Maybe they used them as snot wipers or something.  ;)

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 08, 2011, 01:51 PM »
Got the suit on Tuesday 1/4.  Wore it for a couple of hours and was totally suprised by its overall initial performance.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #49 on: Jan 08, 2011, 07:08 PM »
I wore mine for the first time today in 5 degree F up to 24 degree F.  I was very comfortable all day, only my hands got a little cold because I didn't wear gloves most of the day.  I have the camo version and the fabric is very soft and feels nice.  I wore Under Armour top and bottom, sweatpants, a wool shirt....and that was it.  I didn't sweat when I walked out and stayed warm all day. 
 It was a little hard to put the bibs on in the parking lot, had to take my boots off to fit my foot through.  Other than that:

A WINNER ON THE ICE!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #50 on: Jan 09, 2011, 12:48 PM »
Just got mine. Red and Black. Im 6ft 215 and the large was perfect.Really like the pull up zipper in the crotch on the bibs.Only thing is the turtle head wants to go back in when it feels the cold.Gota pull hard. :oGreat Suit.Love how light it is too!

Was wondering about the size...I'm 5'8" 150#...I usually wear a pair of thermal long johns and the thicker, insulated type underwear over them...so what do you think?...medium or large for me? Thanks
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline wny angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nut!
« Reply #51 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:12 AM »
wore my red and black suit for the first time yesterday .very comfortable and the 2xl fit perfect at 6'4" 260 ,had concerns about jacket sleeve & bibs length but they were plenty long enough .
the suit was not as warm as i thought  it would be from reading the reviews ,wore jeans & long sleeve t shirt and got cold after 4 hours windy 25 degrees ,have to add a few more layers i guess.

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 10, 2011, 11:14 AM »
WNY - just make sure you don't over dress if walking or doing a lot of drilling.  You'll build up a sweat, not good as it'll stay on ya all day since the suit doesn't breathe.

Downunder - at 5'8" and 150 lbs I would lean towards a medium  :-\ 
Leave it better than you found it

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 10, 2011, 01:42 PM »
WNY - just make sure you don't over dress if walking or doing a lot of drilling.  You'll build up a sweat, not good as it'll stay on ya all day since the suit doesn't breathe.

this plus make sure you do NOT where cotton as a base layer. It will get moist and stay moist all day. I wear some polypro long john top and bottoms and a fleece top under my AA suit. Usually just wear jeans over my long johns. it was 15degrees this past sat, fished for about 5 hours no problem. actually never been cold in my AA stuff, just make sure you do not sweat in it.

J-

Offline miked

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • jack perch
« Reply #54 on: Jan 10, 2011, 07:14 PM »
had mine about 2 weeks haven't worn it yet the weathers been about 35,gonna get cold this week though with about 14 in of snow coming.
[img]

Offline Basstastic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 11, 2011, 02:15 PM »
Greatest suit I've ever owned

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.