Author Topic: Which Baffin?  (Read 16688 times)

Offline Iceman421

• Team IceShanty Regular
Which Baffin?
« on: Dec 15, 2009, 03:23 PM »
I'm looking at maybe getting some Baffins and I was wondering which model I should get. What does everyone here use? Pro's and con's would help too. I'd like to have something that is fairly light because I like to move around to find fish.

Offline NiceFishDad

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Which Baffin?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2009, 07:45 PM »
Iceman421,
I tired the crossfire black the other day at Gander and was in love.  I know they make a great boot but man this thing fit like a glove.  They tend to run a size smaller due tot he extra 9mm of heaven keeping your feet warm. :tipup:
Fish On!

Offline Dennis53

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2009, 08:43 PM »
I just got the Baffin Impacts  very comfortable easy in and out :)

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2009, 10:46 AM »
I also have the Baffin impacts and haven't had any problems with cold feet and I do have bad circulation so my hands/feet get cold fast.  I found them to be much lighter than comparable Sorels as well.

Offline Iceman421

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2009, 01:41 PM »
I tried on the Baffin Tundra today and liked the way they fit. They seemed very light and warm. They only have a -40* rating but they cost half as much as the Impacts. We'll have to see what I can get away with buying.....

Offline JFergus7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2009, 03:53 PM »
I tried on the Baffin Impacts today when I was at Gander and loved them.  Think I will head back this weekend and pick them up!

Offline icepike26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2009, 10:48 AM »
i got a pair of baffin pack boots last year, not sure of the model (say polar proven on side with two draw strings for laces) believe their rated for -40 and I love them....feet never get cold or wet and I was out just about every day last year, from blizzards to having 2-3" of water on ice plus i move around a lot drilling many holes and ice and slush freeze on them, and when i go back to the warm shanty it all melts off and still stay dry...I would go with baffin boots if your looking for an all around boot to keep you warm and dry....icepike26 out
FRABILL RANGER XL TWIN FLIPOVER
ARCTIC ARMOR PLUS SUIT
BAFFIN ARCTIC SERIES BOOTS 
ESKIMO AUGER
HT HUSKY WOODEN TIP UPS
POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500HO
BUDDY HEATER
ICE HUNTER SERIES 24" ULTRA-LIGHT COMBO
ICE HUNTER SERIES 26" MEDIUM COMBO

Offline Iceman421

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2009, 12:48 PM »
Basically at this point it comes down to whether or not I want to wait to buy the $160 Impacts or the $80 Tundras.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2009, 07:56 PM »
I just got the Impacts for Christmas.  All I can say is Wow!  They are warm, light weight, waterproof(so far) and super easy on/off with the buckles.  Great boots!
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2009, 07:57 PM »
I bought a pair of Baffin Impacts last year at Gander Mountain for $40.  They were sale priced down to $79.99 at the end of the season, and then there was a "50% off lowest ticketed price" sale on top of that.

The only problem is that they are a size 8 and I wear a 12.  However, I have a son who wears a size 5, and so there is no way I was going to let them sit there at $40.  He'll fit into them in a year or two.

I purchased a pair of women's Baffin Snogoose boots as a Christmas gift this year for my wife.  I was disappointed to see that they were made in China.  The Impacts, my son's Contours, and my daughter's Mustangs were all made in Canada, but are older models.

I sent an email to Baffin expressing my respectful disappointment that the new boots were made in China, and they didn't even have the courtesy to respond.

Offline Iceman421

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:16 PM »
I think I may end up getting the Impacts but I'll probably have to wait til next year.

Offline Iceman421

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2010, 01:37 PM »
I ended up getting the Tundras because I checked both models out and I liked how much lighter they were than the Impacts. I'm stay moving a lot while fishing so -40* rating is good enough for me. Very comfortable boots and they're so light it feel like I'm not wearinf anything on my feet. Now I just need to get screws so I can add a little traction.

I do have a question though: with this recent warm up leaving water on top of the ice, I noticed today that water was leaking into my boot above where the rubber meets the nylon upper. Is it okay to use a silicone spray to waterproof the uppers or will this somehow cause problems with the boot?

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:24 PM »
I used a spray on my Impacts with good results.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline jrp454

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:32 AM »
I bought the steel toed baffins for work. Standing on frozen concrete all day was getting through my sorrel superiors. These baffins did great on concrete and ice.

Offline Richard Cr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2010, 03:58 PM »
About a week ago I got a pair of Impacts from Winterfootwear.com for $163.00 and free shipping. I got them in about 4 days including a weekend. I have had a chance to use them twice so far and they are like pillows on your feet and very light weight-like 2.3 lbs per boot. I used to have a pair of Lacrosse Ice Kings but alas the rubber became cracked and were no longer keeping my feet dry. I usually have issues with my feet staying warm but so far they are everything they should be (unfortunately we haven't had any COLD weather to test them yet). My daughter came home from college and tried them on and made a comment about a happy ending for her feet...didn't want to go there, don't want to know these things :o :o :o, but hey are VERY comfortable
Hoovering like a fly....waiting for a windshield on the freeway

Offline HardWaterMachine31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2010, 12:01 AM »
i got a pair of baffin pack boots last year, not sure of the model (say polar proven on side with two draw strings for laces) believe their rated for -40 and I love them....feet never get cold or wet and I was out just about every day last year, from blizzards to having 2-3" of water on ice plus i move around a lot drilling many holes and ice and slush freeze on them, and when i go back to the warm shanty it all melts off and still stay dry...I would go with baffin boots if your looking for an all around boot to keep you warm and dry....icepike26 out
I've got the same ones i think. Green slipons w/ camo gaiter and draw strings. awesome boots never cold, crack proof, last forever. got em' for 35 bucks in sportsmans guide 3 years ago. My buddy just got a pair after his slipons cracked last month. The only other thing i would suggest is Kamik Goliaths.

Offline dudleypond

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2010, 05:44 PM »
I woud try the baffin titans if i was you.

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2010, 08:52 PM »
I bought a pair of Baffin Impacts last year at Gander Mountain for $40.  They were sale priced down to $79.99 at the end of the season, and then there was a "50% off lowest ticketed price" sale on top of that.

The only problem is that they are a size 8 and I wear a 12.  However, I have a son who wears a size 5, and so there is no way I was going to let them sit there at $40.  He'll fit into them in a year or two.

I purchased a pair of women's Baffin Snogoose boots as a Christmas gift this year for my wife.  I was disappointed to see that they were made in China.  The Impacts, my son's Contours, and my daughter's Mustangs were all made in Canada, but are older models.

I sent an email to Baffin expressing my respectful disappointment that the new boots were made in China, and they didn't even have the courtesy to respond.
http://eartdayeveryday.blogspot.com/2007/04/david-francey-wears-environmentally.html

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2010, 09:16 AM »
I woud try the baffin titans if i was you.
The baffin titans are a great boot, but they wont fit under the legs of your ice bibbs, unfortunitly they have a 20" curcumfrence.

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2010, 03:15 PM »
 I recently bought the baffin impact boots (size 12) just wondering if I need stabilicers or yaktraks for them? thanks :-\

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 24, 2010, 03:40 PM »
I recently bought the baffin impact boots (size 12) just wondering if I need stabilicers or yaktraks for them? thanks :-\
The baffins "DO" have an extreemly agressive tread. However, with any boot on the ice you will want to wear some sort of cleat. For example: I wore a pair of Rockys last year with a mean 1/2" vertical and peg tread, and I still busted my butt 100 times. save your self the hassle and get cleats now.

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 24, 2010, 03:47 PM »
 Thanks icerogue I appreciate the info I am going to Cabelas this weekend, I will pick up some stabilicers. :thumbsup:

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2010, 10:06 PM »
I bought the steel toed baffins for work. Standing on frozen concrete all day was getting through my sorrel superiors. These baffins did great on concrete and ice.
I got the drillers,waterproof and warm :),need it on the slushy lakes for sure.

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2010, 06:13 AM »
i got the baffin apex. yea i know they were expensive,,, but i got tired of spending 175 - 200 dolalrs every 3 years for boots that dont hold up. my buddy had used baffin boots (5 year old set) and sais hands down the best he ever had,,, as good a shape as the day he bought them. he was a dedicated lacrosse boot buyer but also got tired of eyelets falling out and seams leaking and rubber cracking after more that 2 seasons of use.  i have worn them 4 - 5 times now in temps down to zero and not even a hint of cold. cant wait for -30 to really see how good they are, but all the feedback and research indicates they are top of the heap.
da splake chaser

Offline wile.e.1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2010, 07:56 AM »
I have a pair of Apex boots on the way....should be here tomorrow. Lookin to get double duty out of em'..treestand and draggin my jetsled on the ice               cmon UPS
Remember those that served..All gave some...Some gave All

Offline ZRWHAT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2010, 11:45 AM »
I bought the Impacts in December last year and used them all season with no issues.  Towards the end of the season I noticed the the Nylon Upper had started to separate from the leather.  Didn't bother me other than I had spent $16X.XX on a pair of boots that were starting to fall apart in 3 months of use (Just the upper nylon was affected the rest of the boot looked like they did the day I pulled them out of the box).  I figured I would wear them for the rest of the season and return them under warranty.  Long story short I still don't know if there is a warranty on Baffin's as there is zero information on their website.  So I contacted Zappos who I purchased the boots from and they actually took them back.

I ended up going with the Apex this time, no upper on the Apex to have issues with.  They are great boots, I did do a ton of walking in mine so I'm not sure if that was the problem or if I just got a bad pair?

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2010, 11:49 AM »
I use the Impacts. I will have to look them over a little closer and see if there is a problem. They are the best for warmth.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2010, 02:22 PM »
how do they run size wise? I am really liking the looks/stats on the Impacts but there is no local retailers that I can go try em on at. I wear size 8 1/2 in regular shoes/boots.

Not sure if 9's with my socks would be big enough but worry that 10's would be too big.

Thanks
J-

Offline walkerd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2010, 02:38 PM »
Just got mine, Impacts, ordered 11 I wear 10.5. And the foam liner is really tight on my foot another guy told me to wear them to break them in, have been doing that and they are fitting to my foot. Havent got to really try them out yet. For the price I hope they work. Ill report back how they work. I have a real problem keeping my feet warm, Ive tried the black mickes wish I would have bought the white ones cold feet, 200 gram rubber boots cold feet. sure hope these baffins do the trick.

dave

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2010, 07:51 PM »
Y
how do they run size wise? I am really liking the looks/stats on the Impacts but there is no local retailers that I can go try em on at. I wear size 8 1/2 in regular shoes/boots.

Not sure if 9's with my socks would be big enough but worry that 10's would be too big.

Thanks
J-

Buy size 11.
I checked my boots and they are still like new. No sign of cracking. I used them for the first time this season. Snowblowing my driveway.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.