Author Topic: Rainbow Limit  (Read 1156 times)

Offline thrudaice

• IceShanty Rookie
Rainbow Limit
« on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:49 PM »
Hit Olin lake hard this past week  for fear of losing ice next week.  mixed success. caught fish on most outings and helped some friends land their first rainbow. finally got a limit on Wednesday! All fish had fat full bellies. biggest was just shy of 18". most caught in 10 ft. of water or less. Wednesday all were caught on a hot pink tungsten jig tipped with a wax worm hooked wacky.
here's a go at a pic:

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rainbow Limit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:56 PM »
Nice fish! Never caught a bow through the ice.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:05 PM »
Hit Olin lake hard this past week  for fear of losing ice next week.  mixed success. caught fish on most outings and helped some friends land their first rainbow. finally got a limit on Wednesday! All fish had fat full bellies. biggest was just shy of 18". most caught in 10 ft. of water or less. Wednesday all were caught on a hot pink tungsten jig tipped with a wax worm hooked wacky.
here's a go at a pic:
(Image removed from quote.)
Awesome. I walked out on oliver a bit yesterday and chickened out. Looked sketchy
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:34 PM »
nice job man!  :clap:  what was in that fat one on left?  looks like it swallowed a nerf ball. lol
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline bottom bouncer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:49 PM »
Nice job on the bows. Bet they taste great in the winter!! :thumbsup:
Being retired is turning into hard work!

Offline thrudaice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:00 AM »
Thanks all.  The fish all had bellies full of bait fish that look suspiciously like rainbow smelt, and possibly caddis fly nymphs(which make casings with twigs, leaves, and other organic materials, and I often find such materials in trout bellies).

I would believe Oliver would be sketchy.  It has been open and iced alternately all season. Was the ice on the channel okay? I have actually done quite well fishing just in the channel when other options weren't available.

Bows through the ice are a great thrill (and delicious). Especially when the ice is clear and you can see them fighting right below your feet! You definitely have to work to get them landed, the most important thing I have learned is that as soon as their heads  are in the hole GET THEM OUT!

Hoping to get one more chance on Olin this weekend...

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2017, 10:23 AM »
I walked part of the way down the channel. Was about 5 to 6 inches. Didn't make it to the end. It's so shallow I didn't think it would have many fish. Might try the end of the channel next time if main lake looks spooky
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline thrudaice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2017, 03:51 PM »
I've caught a fair number through the ice from about halfway down the channel out to the end.  Heck, I've caught them right from the launch during open water in late fall/early spring (not just new stockers either).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.