Author Topic: Quick Report 12/23  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Heartland

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Enjoying The Great Outdoors in America's Heartland
Quick Report 12/23
« on: Dec 24, 2005, 01:19 PM »
12/23 Fishing

Fished the retention pond across the street from my house in northeastern IL (far south suburbs of Chicago).
Ice is a good 7 inches here.
Water is covering some large parts of the pond, but its solid under that.
Speaking of water, I laid my coat down on the ice due to the fact all the drilling I was doing was making me sweat with it on.
Needless to say, the digital camera was in the pocket- and guess what happened to the coat?
Yep- it got soaked....along with the camera.
Spent 2 entire summers wading in rivers and never got a drop on it, and ten minutes on the ice might have ruined it (we'll see).

Anyway.......
My honest thoughts on the Buzz Stix thingy?
Its a novelty.
How the hell am I supposed to feel a bite with that thing vibrating all over the place?
There might be a method, but it ain't for me and my old cold crumpled hands.

Ended up with 2 average green sunfish and a 10" crappie in 45 minutes.
Had to move around a lot to get bites- missed something pretty impressive (bass?).

This was really just an "ice check" anyway.
Heading out Monday for an extended ice blitz/barbecue with some old drinkin buddies. Hopefully the fish will be bitin.

I stopped and bought a South Bend Cold Steel reel and Shakespear Cajun Red Ice line today, and was happy with those.
The RED line is for my benefit, by the way.
It's been a long time since I had to tie ice line, and it helped me a great deal.
It claims to be the first color to disappear in as little as 3 feet and all that- who knows?

The camera looks to be functioning after taking the hair dryer to it.
My daughter is getting a camera for Christmas- but I really doubt I'll ever get to use it....LOL

Tried out some jigs from Jammin Jigs that look just like the Mormyshkas, but these have eyelets.
They seem to sit dead horizontal!
Interesting, considering the Mormy has a hole rather than an eye for this purpose.

(UPDATE)
It's RAINING here now.
Ice is melting rapidly.......  :-\

Offline wsj_outdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wandering the Ice somewhere
Re: Quick Report 12/23
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2005, 02:35 PM »
wsj has used this year the red ice line........and so far seems good.  Ya gotta like those jamming jigs, seems like the first ones that you don't have to clean the eye, just tie and go fishing.  Mike ya might want to think about a water proof camera if yours does not survive.  Be thinking of that for wsj, but so far been lucky with the digital.

wsj ;)
If a man can't laugh at himself....he leaves the job to others

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2005, 07:53 PM »
Don't know when you last bought jamming jigs but they have the worst paint in the eyes of anybody I ever saw this year.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline wsj_outdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wandering the Ice somewhere
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2005, 07:08 AM »
Well wsj did get his order about 2 years ago. :o  And some of the very small tear shaped ones had a bit of paint but not bad.  The ratso's are the best for being clean when purchased.  IMOP

wsj ;)
If a man can't laugh at himself....he leaves the job to others

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.