Author Topic: Tuned Up Custom Rod Alternative  (Read 3422 times)

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tuned Up Custom Rod Alternative
« on: Dec 12, 2017, 06:21 PM »
After watching another episode of In-Depth Outdoors (IDO) I jumped on the web to see what the tuned up rods go for. I wasn't surprised by the $80-$100 price point b/c I figured they would be spendy and the IDO team wouldn't use cheap rods. I was just wondering if a decent alternative exists in the $20-$40 price range?

Recently upgraded my larger fish(walleye, bass, etc) rods over to 38" rods and want to switch my panfish rods to the 30"+ range with a real sensitive tip like they have on the tuned up rods. Not sure why I fished with such short rods before but I know my back and neck will appreciate a longer rod without the need to bend over so much in the shanty.

Thanks

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tuned Up Custom Rod Alternative
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2017, 06:23 PM »
St Croix ice rods... 50 bucks.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Capt. j-rod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2017, 06:46 PM »
I have a Thorne Bros Power Noodle. I tell everyone that you should have one "go to" high end combo. I always look for a cheaper way in then end up buying the good one later. There IS a difference in a custom rod and a production rod. I don't have 6, but that one rod is incredibly sensitive. Amazing feel, balance, tip, recoil guides, it's all there.  I've held the TUCR and it is definitely worth the price of admission. Now me knowing what to do, and actually remember to set the hook? That is still under development LOL

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2017, 06:55 PM »
doesnt seem to be alot of options, Im sure someone will say buy some ice blues. They work but IMO they suck compared to a quality rod.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2017, 07:39 PM »
I've never fished with nor picked up a TUCR. So, other than what I've read about them on the Shanty, I know nothing about them. But, a rod I do know something about is the Fenwick Elite Tech. I have one of the ULs, but can't remember the length. It is a very sensitive rod. The only thing that I don't care for is the handle. I pencil grip and it feels a bit awkward.

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2017, 07:40 PM »
The Beaver Dam glass noodle is not talked about nearly enough.  Nice, soft tip with a smooth transition into backbone just like the Bullwhip or PN.  It has wire guides that are larger than other rods of a similar price point.  They look and feel very similar to recoil guides.  This rod runs about $20 but I've only seen a few places online with it in stock.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2017, 08:16 PM »
10 years ago or so, a longer rod translated into loss of sensitivity.  The quality of the majority of ice blanks were still only so so.  Thorne Bros was one of the few that actually offered premium quality rod.  Even back then the line guide components were only so so and quality line guides would've cost your little rod into close to the $200 range.  The Power Noodle and Deadstick were basically the soft tip action into a strong backbone blank.

There are a lot of nice quality moderately priced rods now. 

Start with Jason Mitchell's meatsticks about $25.   
There's even a TUCR Inferno's for about $55 in UL with that soft tip. 
Ugly Stik in UL or current L model basically gives you that soft tip into a stronger back bone $20.  Not actually since it's trade mark is really an extended tip.

lots of others too.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2017, 08:49 PM »
Another vote for beaverdam was going to suggest those but could only find 28" rods

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:18 PM »
I really like the meat stick I bought last year, at $60 for rod and reel combo it’s the most I’ve spent so far for an ice rod. Without looking, I’m pretty sure I got the medium light action and it held up very well for me so far. The tip is nice and sensitive, but then it’s got plenty of back bone for bigger fish.

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:40 PM »
Other options for custom for me besides TUCR rods are DH Custom and BassKhang. Look into those two.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2017, 10:59 PM »
Quite a bit of options available in the $50 range but nothing beats the real deal.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2017, 05:28 AM »
I’ve been looking at vexans rods , I am thinking one fo walleye fishing. Let us know what you get , vexans rods are less than $50

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2017, 06:05 AM »
I have a 29" snitch rod that has good backbone and a sensitive quick tip, it was $33 when I got it last year.  Mine is a No. 8 Tackle model, 13 fishing or one 3 has the line now.  It fits in your price range, not sure of they have a model over 30"

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2017, 06:53 AM »
The Beaver Dam glass noodle is not talked about nearly enough.  Nice, soft tip with a smooth transition into backbone just like the Bullwhip or PN.  It has wire guides that are larger than other rods of a similar price point.  They look and feel very similar to recoil guides.  This rod runs about $20 but I've only seen a few places online with it in stock.
I picked one up last year from ll bean, they are a nice rod.
The 27" frabil quick tip light is another one that's good for the money.
Biggest thing I've noticed with the Thorne bros. Is that they last a long time.
I have one that's 5 or 6 years old.
The frabil rods I'll get maybe 2 years out of them.
I have a sengsun rod that's probably 15 years old, I've had to put new guides on it but the rod has held up.
I paid 8 or $10 for it.
Would like to find another but can't find one.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2017, 08:08 AM »
Beaver Dam glass noodle is way underestimated by most who want high dollar rods.  These are great and come in various lengths, I have 23's and a 32.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2017, 08:44 AM »
TUCR has been selling a line of affordable rods at cabelas called the inferno. Price point of about $55, comes in 28" UL, 30" M & 32" MH.

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2017, 08:57 AM »
I've switched over to Jason Mitchell Elite series rods for all of my jigging and most of my dead sticking.  for gills/crappies and small jigs for perch I'm running 24" or 28" meat stick.  My go-to perch rod for spoons and other hard baits is the 26" ML, and my walleye rod is the 28" M.   All of these rods have proven action and sensitivity, without coughing up a benjamin from the wallet for each rod.  For days when we are just setting rod holders and bobbers out and fishing "socially", I've got four 13 Fishing White Noise combos, that I use.  Medium action, and I've horsed pike up to 38" with them no problem.

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2017, 09:25 AM »
One step up from a Fenwich Tech Elite is the Aetos, and can be had for $50.00.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2017, 09:38 AM »
Fenwick Aetos do not have that soft quick tip.

It's an x-fast tip.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.