Author Topic: What Causes this?  (Read 3479 times)

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
What Causes this?
« on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:09 PM »
I went out yesterday and did a little jiggin. I drilled a series of holes. The last two holes that I drilled were 20 yds apart. They both were bubbling like a Jacuzzi for 25 minutes straight. I've seen air bubbles before but these were going so good that the water was spitting out of the hole. I took a video but unfortunately It never recorded  >:( Here is a pic of what it looked like though.

Anybody ever seen such a thing?

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What Causes this?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:14 PM »
My guess is that it was just air trapped under the ice. If the water level drops there could be air pockets and you may have freed it with a few holes. Did you notice if it was coming out from the bottom of the ice?

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:17 PM »
It's was deffinately coming from down below. The holes looked like a pot of boiling water. I really wish I had the video.. I never seen any thing like it..

PIKEGUY

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:18 PM »
I would say a spring way down deep, but if it quit after 25 minutes I don't know what to think ???

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:18 PM »
Could be Nessie?????  ;D
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:19 PM »
I figured someone fed the fish baked beans or five alarm chili.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:20 PM »
maybe the fish got into some pork and beans!!

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:37 PM »
Wow!! Thats weird ive had it bubble for maybe 20 seconds but never like that. The water level dropping makes sense b/c there would be some air pockets down there but idk ???

grumpymoe

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:54 PM »
where abouts are you???....could've been Trapperdirk doing line checks making sure everyone was legal....Grump                                                                           

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2005, 02:58 PM »
where abouts are you???....could've been Trapperdirk doing line checks making sure everyone was legal....Grump                                                                            (Image removed from quote.)

funny stuff Grump!

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2005, 03:05 PM »
where abouts are you???....could've been Trapperdirk doing line checks making sure everyone was legal....Grump                                                                            (Image removed from quote.)
Lol If that guy popped out of the hole I think I would have deffinately chit myself..We have a character up here similiar to him.. He goes By Spacey Acres..

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2005, 03:10 PM »
Any two-mouthed trout coming out of that lake?  ;)
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

billybono

« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2005, 07:13 PM »

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   hahahahaha

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2005, 07:30 PM »
It's probably just a large pocket of trapped gas that was slowly releasing.  I saw a similar thing while wading in cayuga lake - a steady stream of bubbles coming up from a spot in about 3 feet of water - although it didn't seem to be as vigorous as you are describing.  I walked over to investigate, very carefully I might add, and I released a huge pocket of gas that scared the crap out of me.  It really surprised me how much air there was under the mud.

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2005, 08:08 PM »
...I released a huge pocket of gas that scared the crap out of me...

:roflmao:

Sorry I have a bad habbit of reading from bottom to top and this really had me laughing.

Seriously though, what kinds of gas are you guys talking about?

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2005, 08:21 PM »
Sounds liek ye desturbed are good friend nessy and she sent a bunch of mud packed gas to the surface. On a more serious note- if it smelt like depth it is deffinately air from below mud- the air is made from matter that is decayed VIA bacteria and they breath out some nasty stuff. :-X

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2005, 09:37 PM »
did it smell?  If it did, then it came from the bottom...if not, then it was trapped under the ice.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2005, 09:37 PM »
nickp beat me to it ;D

Offline Coastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2005, 06:18 AM »
Thats that guy in scuba gear that steals your bait without tripping your flags. If I ever catch him he's fried.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2005, 07:50 AM »
From the long amount of time it bubbled for, I would guess it was coming from the bottom.

As others have already said...did it smell?

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2005, 11:22 AM »
  Next time light a match.You might get a fire show if it's gas.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2005, 12:22 PM »

Last year, my buddy Nick and I hit Mendon for the first time in years. There was 2ft. of snow on 100 acre pond. No footprints going out and we were guessing there might be 8 inches of ice until we drilled a series of test holes. about 5-6" max and the pond is going eutrophic, so dark green water, couln't see 3" down. We walked out further and drilled for tip-ups. We noticed that the water was coming out of the holes and pooling on the ice quite a bit making the 2ft. of snow slushy. Then the creaking,cracking and moaning started, scaring the c*it out of us. My buddy Nick is big, just under 300 , so we're debating running in a couple times. Got 5-6 flags, but if you went to get 'em we noticed the air bubbles coming up out of the holes. We had jigging holes in the tent and about every 5 minutes a bubble would come up out of those too. They didn't smell, so we started theorizing. Came up with, time to go, CAREFULLY. We figured that the weight of the snow, us, and our gear was enough to push the ice down dumping water on top, and the more it pushed down the air was releasing out of the holes from the pressure. Two grown men tip toeing around reaching for the tip-ups with our arms fully extended so we could scat. Once we started back, we b-lined for shore. Scareist day in recent memory for us. Don't know for sure if that's what happened to you Caroga, but was a good story anyway. :) :tipup:

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2005, 12:26 PM »
I heard the Govrnment was trying to hide some nuclear subs in inland lakes ;D ;D  Watch for periscopes ::) ::) Maybe the "swamp detectives" are getting very serious in your neck of the woods. :D :D :D   Seroiusly. Probably just a very large air pocket under ice working its way out.

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2005, 01:47 PM »
did it smell?  If it did, then it came from the bottom...if not, then it was trapped under the ice.
No smell to it... Just alot of bubbles

Offline tackle123

• IceShanty Rookie
  • This is me and my son.
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2005, 03:40 PM »
Fish Farts  ::)

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2005, 06:49 PM »
No smell?  Must a been female fish farts. :D
:sick:

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2005, 07:08 PM »
Sorry bigredonice- lol ive exsperienced that smell one to many times- just about knocks ya out while wading in for that big bass!

grumpymoe

« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2005, 07:11 PM »
only one answer....Methane..... .Grump

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2005, 07:13 PM »

Last year, my buddy Nick and I hit Mendon for the first time in years. There was 2ft. of snow on 100 acre pond. No footprints going out and we were guessing there might be 8 inches of ice until we drilled a series of test holes. about 5-6" max and the pond is going eutrophic, so dark green water, couln't see 3" down. We walked out further and drilled for tip-ups. We noticed that the water was coming out of the holes and pooling on the ice quite a bit making the 2ft. of snow slushy. Then the creaking,cracking and moaning started, scaring the c*it out of us. My buddy Nick is big, just under 300 , so we're debating running in a couple times. Got 5-6 flags, but if you went to get 'em we noticed the air bubbles coming up out of the holes. We had jigging holes in the tent and about every 5 minutes a bubble would come up out of those too. They didn't smell, so we started theorizing. Came up with, time to go, CAREFULLY. We figured that the weight of the snow, us, and our gear was enough to push the ice down dumping water on top, and the more it pushed down the air was releasing out of the holes from the pressure. Two grown men tip toeing around reaching for the tip-ups with our arms fully extended so we could scat. Once we started back, we b-lined for shore. Scareist day in recent memory for us. Don't know for sure if that's what happened to you Caroga, but was a good story anyway. :) :tipup:

Is this gonna be a long story? ;)

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2005, 07:48 PM »

I know, I know......... My wife keeps tellin' me about that ::) :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.