Author Topic: Summerize your augers?  (Read 3485 times)

Offline Jrod0582

• Team IceShanty Regular
Summerize your augers?
« on: Mar 07, 2010, 02:28 PM »
Being this is my first season of ever having a power auger, I was wondering if you guys "summerize" your augers. If you do, it would be helpful if you posted instructions on how you store them!

-Jrod

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Summerize your augers?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2010, 02:34 PM »
I use stabil (aqua colored) in my gas and store my auger inside. I take it out every month of so and start it up and run it until the motor gets to operating temp. Then I put it back in the closet. Keeps the rubber parts in the carb pliable and the varnish to a minimum.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2010, 02:42 PM »
I put a shot of seafoam in the last tank full , I put stabil or startron in all of the gas I use,start and run a couple of times off season,and use high test fuel.BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2010, 02:47 PM »
i leave little gas in the tank,every month i add a little fresh gas and start it.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2010, 02:59 PM »
I've had mixed success with stabilizer.... a couple years ago it didn't work and ended up cleaning the carb, however this last year it worked great..... Don't know what I did different.

Offline bubba ARMY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2010, 03:25 PM »
this is just my 2 cents a small engine shop guy who is a registered strikemaster shop told me to run them completely out of fuel for the summer season mine is a 2 stroke maybe there is a difference

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2010, 03:50 PM »
Dump the fuel, give the fuel tank a shot of seafoam, and run the engine until it is dry.  Pull the plug, give the combustion chamber a shot of whatever kind of oil you are mixing with, pull the cord several times, replace the plug, and hang it up in your garage.  It will require a few pulls next fall, but the engine will be in first class working order!!!

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2010, 03:52 PM »
this is just my 2 cents a small engine shop guy who is a registered strikemaster shop told me to run them completely out of fuel for the summer season mine is a 2 stroke maybe there is a difference

Done this last three seasons, started right up when ice came back.
Ron

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2010, 03:58 PM »
I have always dumped my fuel and ran them dry, always start right up come fall. Some say to fog them to, but I'm not a huge fan of fogging anything.

Offline Tee Tot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Laker Man
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2010, 04:12 PM »
   Same here, run it out of fuel an put it away till next season. This has worked well for me 15+ years consecutive with my jiffy mod. 30.    my 2 bites     Tight Lines

Offline Surefishalot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2010, 04:45 PM »
Do they even make a four stroke? I've never seen one,that would be one bear to handle
saltwater-freshwater what ever floats your boat!

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2010, 05:14 PM »
   Same here, run it out of fuel an put it away till next season. This has worked well for me 15+ years consecutive with my jiffy mod. 30.    my 2 bites     Tight Lines

This is what I do also and have been for 25 years now and still have the same auger with no problems

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2010, 05:17 PM »
Do they even make a four stroke? I've never seen one,that would be one bear to handle

Strikelites are a 4 stroke robin engine.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2010, 05:29 PM »
Strikelites are a 4 stroke robin engine.

And they are nice, a guy had one the other day and drilled 4 holes next to me without me even knowing he was there. those babies are quiet.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline grumpyoldude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2010, 05:51 PM »
I take all this advice and contemplate the best approach to storing it. In the meantime I hang the auger in the shed and start it up next year with new gas. ???Oh every couple of years I think of changing the plug. ;D

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2010, 06:04 PM »
I use only MORA hand augers. They go for 9 months without being touched . They always start right up on the first turn every winter. ;D
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2010, 06:17 PM »
I use only MORA hand augers. They go for 9 months without being touched . They always start right up on the first turn every winter. ;D

:roflmao: :roflmao:
I put some Stabil in the last tank run it for a little bit, drain it, run it dry, pull the plug, a few drops of Mystry oil,     1 pull and hang it in the basement until the ice comes back.
just my 2 pennies
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2010, 06:40 PM »
I us Amsoil with Stabil in my Jiffy thru out the season, I leave the tank at least half full. I then pull out the plug and add a few drops of Marvel Mystry oil and then put the plug back in and hang it on the wall in my garage.

Just before the season I will start it up and run it for a few minutes, starts right up every year.

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2010, 06:44 PM »
add a cap of mystery oil, run till its out of gas.

Offline 800aberdean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2010, 06:54 PM »
add an appropriate ammount of sea foam to the last tank.  make sure you run it enough to get it in the system.  right before you put it away for the year, add fogging oil to the piston (remove the spark plug and give it a splash).  pull it over a few times with the switch in OFF, and it will last you forever

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2010, 07:10 PM »
this works good for me also :tipup:
Just enjoying life

icewagon

« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2010, 07:37 PM »
I've owned two power augers over the last 20 years ,never replaced a single part in the carbs on ether one. At the end of the season I run it completely out of gas , take off the air filter spray Wd 40 right into the carb put the filter back on and spray it with Wd 40, pull out the spark plug spray 40 in the chamber give the pull start a couple of pulls ,make sure the piston is out all the way ,put the plug back in . Spay any place on the auger that you think might rust in the off season . I stick mine back in the cardboard box it came in a stand it in the corner of my cellar.   Not   a good idea to store a tank of gas in the cellar if you furnace and water heater are in the basement .

Offline Jrod0582

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2010, 12:46 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys, it is greatly appreciated!

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2010, 07:51 AM »
when you guys say to "run it dry" to get ready to put it away for off season, do I let it idle until she quits? or can I throttle it until she quits to sort of speed up the process?

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2010, 01:05 PM »

I do the same thing run it out of gas and put it away

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2010, 02:26 PM »
I do absolutely nothing to my 15+ year old Jiffy model 30 and have never had a problem, it always starts right up come ice fishing time. I have heard from a few different mechanics that it is not good to run them out of gas, they are more likely to varnish up that way when the remaining gas oil residue evaporates, it's best to fill the tank full with fresh gas oil mix. I do try to remember to start it and run it for a min. or so in the mid summer.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2010, 07:59 PM »
seafoam is a great product! add some to tank o` gas,good to go. if you didn`t and ya get some varnish in it,add seafoam and run a tankful through it,cleans it out real nice. better than stabil. my opinion anyhow!

Offline pike44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 09, 2010, 03:00 PM »
always run mine completely out of fuel for the summer, runs fine when I fire it up for the season.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #28 on: Mar 09, 2010, 03:10 PM »
Empty tank
Run out of gas
light coat of WD 40 on the blades
Starts 1st pull next fall
15 year old eskimo 8900 still (knock wood) runs like a top

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 09, 2010, 10:41 PM »
i poored almost all the fuel out and then added some stabil and started let it run for a while until i knew a that stabil was in the carb.  shut it off with still a little gas and stabil in the tank.  i will drain the tank and put fresh gas in next season. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.