Author Topic: 8x8 Skid  (Read 2676 times)

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
8x8 Skid
« on: Sep 17, 2019, 08:43 AM »
I'm looking at building an 8x8 skid house for this season. Wondering if anyone else has one close to this size and what their layout looks like inside? I mostly tip-up fish, but hoping to have 3-4 holes inside for rattle reels overnight. The goal is to keep it simple and lightweight to pull out with the ATV early in the season.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 8x8 Skid
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2019, 07:37 PM »
I am finishing up my 6.5x11 build right now and am struggling with layout myself too.

My thoughts are that I would like to do built in’s for bunks/storage but my shack is already quite heavy. So I think I’m gonna stick with cots for sleeping so that I can remove them for transport.

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2019, 08:28 PM »
Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out. I was considering some portable bunks that I can remove easily if we need more space to fish, but still be able to sleep two guys and have room for holes to be spread out without getting lines tangled overnight.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2019, 09:41 PM »
Have you decided on what you’re doing for heat? (And how much space that’ll take)?

The possibilities are endless but shacks get small in a hurry once you start putting stuff in them

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2019, 08:13 AM »
For this season, probably just using the big buddy heater since I already have one. It had no trouble keeping my Clam Bigfoot hub shelter warm, so the skid house with better insulation shouldn't be a problem. I'm planning to put a couple screws into the wall to mount it up off the floor a bit.

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2019, 09:25 AM »
What do people recommend for wall covering inside the shack? Lightweight is the goal, but I want to protect the foam insulation as well. I was thinking some 1/8" MDF paneling. Has anyone used this before? Or 1/8" ply?
Thanks!

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2019, 01:11 PM »
Pike,

I would think that MDF would deteriorate pretty quick once it got moisture on it.  You could use a material like pvc wall board.  Its usually about 1/8" thick and comes in 4x8 sheets.  I have seen these used in alot of shacks up on LOW.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2019, 01:46 PM »
Found the thread that was asking something similar.  Its from Aug, '19 in this section. Its called FRP panel.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=370538.0
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2019, 04:20 PM »
Interesting, I might have to look into FRP. I prefer the look of the wood paneling to the bright white that FRP seems to come in, so maybe I'll run 12" or so of FRP along the floor and do paneling from there up...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.