Author Topic: Trip of a LIFETIME  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Beerguzzler17

• IceShanty Rookie
Trip of a LIFETIME
« on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:21 PM »
Hello fellow ice fishermen to the north,

My buddy and I (from Nebraska, USA) are going to be driving up to Lake Winnipeg (9+ hour trip) this weekend (Sat. - Sat. trip).  We will be staying near Winnipeg Beach and are wondering a couple things...

1.) We DO HAVE a 4-wheeler but were wondering about any "ice-bridges/heaves/conditions" which might prevent us from getting to the fish.
2.) What are the ice depths like...I'm guessing it has to be around 35-40 inches by now...
3.) We do NOT want to use a guide but rather "run and gun" on our own...with the goal of at least one walleye/pickerel at/over 27 inches in 7 days worth of possible fishing.  However, since our state we live in would fit into Lake Winnipeg  ;D we were wondering where a good general area/ice heave would be to start at.  My buddy and I do NOT want anyone's exact GPS spots (unless you want to send them our way  ;)) but rather a general depth and general spot on the lake (we are willing to travel as far as we need to in order to reach some fish.).
4.)  Any general tips/advice anyone is willing to give us would really mean a lot.  It could be anything from common mistakes you all see up that direction to things you wish you would have remembered to take on a previous ice fishing trip of a lifetime.
5...not as important)  If anyone can let us know if there is a body of water with some lake trout (not even huge ones) within a 3-4 hour drive (ok if it's north as well) of Winnipeg Beach that would also be appreciated.

Sorry for the long novel but my buddy and I have never been on a trip this "big" aka...costly...and are trying to make the most out of this first and last trip we will be doing for awhile.  Both of us have wives who are expecting...for both of us our second ones...both girls...hence the reason we will both be broke moving forward in life!!!!!  LOL

Thanks for any help/advice in advance...Jeff

Offline avidangler

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Trip of a LIFETIME
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2018, 09:14 PM »
No replies yet ?   Fish the south end of the lake on the east or  west side...A day or 2 on the ice and you will figure things out somewhat.. Access out from Warner rd on the west side is good and you can pretty much drive a truck anywhere you want..Most people like to fish out from the mouth of the Red river which is approx. 5 or 6 miles from warner, but you can find fish just about anywhere ..Ice is thick so bring extensions..Google some maps to give you an idea on where to go...All tackle will work ..Most of all I suggest that you do come here . I am sure it will be the trip of a lifetime...   enjoy

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Always ridges. Bring planks with you.

It’s extension time. Bring one. Two just in case.

You can fish east or west side. Look for clean water. Work shallow to deep. The mouth is good towards March when the river flow increases.

Spoons have been working well. Cranks too.

Theft is still an issue. Don’t leave anything unlocked when you park your vehicle. Tongue lock your trailer.

Pm me, I’ll give you my cell if you have anymore questions.

Offline Beerguzzler17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2018, 09:55 PM »
Thank you for the replies!   My buddy and i have been fishing Red Lake, MN the last few days with ok success.  We are headed up to big windy tomorrow for the big dance.   If you see 2 Americans on a yellow 4 wheeler pulling a clam shelter come say hi!   ; ;D

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2018, 06:11 AM »
Good luck, sorry about the crapty weather that just hit, I've been out a ton lately, we are finally catching hawgs each time, 3 yesterday.
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline Beerguzzler17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2018, 07:57 PM »
So are there really walleye in Lake Winnipeg, Canada or was this all just one big joke!?!?   ;D  We were only able to convince one 17 incher to commit out of only about 4 marks all day.   We fished out of Matlock in the 14 ft (actual liquid water) break out on the ice ridge.  We are assuming we need to make the longer drive and get out in front of the river mouth...or it was just an terrible day for everyone...which would help my bruised ego right about now. :)  does anyone know if it is possible to make it to the mouth of the river via 4 wheeler as of today?  Thanks for any help

Offline avidangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2018, 09:28 PM »
Watch where the other guys are fishing , especially when they bunch up . Usually only one reason that pple fish close to each other...  If you ever find a place where you just drill a couple of holes and steadily pull out fish all day long pls let me know so I can go there also  lol  Keep trying , go out further , closer to the mouth ...If your not sure where to go , follow the crowds ...gl

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2018, 05:33 AM »
the sudden weather change probably slowed the bite down considerably,  Ive never had good fishing on windy days, hopefully you can find them, another front moving in tomorrow, hopefully it will turn them on
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline tightline06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2018, 03:46 PM »
A few buddies and I are heading to Big Windy on thursday from Saskatchewan. Also our first trip to the lake. Hoping we can get on some fish. Not necessarily looking for master anglers, but it would definitely be welcome. Good luck boys, hopefully the fish co-operate and make the trip worth while. Keep us all posted on your trip!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.