The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Polar Bird 4T - Maiden Voyage  (Read 6585 times)

Offline Frontier87

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Polar Bird 4T - Maiden Voyage
« Reply #60 on: Feb 19, 2016, 06:16 PM »
Polar bird 3T is all packed up and ready for its first trip to the ice. Can't wait to break it in with some fish! Heading north for a few days hope to hook a few touge.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #61 on: Feb 19, 2016, 07:30 PM »
I looked up ice climbing screws and you're right, they're pretty expensive! The cheapest I found was $40 for one screw! The Cabelas Deluxe Anchor set looks good but they're sold out with no indication of restocking. The Eskimo anchors are readily available though.

I got mine on Ebay 5 years or more ago and found three for $14.00.
Steve

Offline Trout Hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 21, 2016, 06:42 AM »
My daughter won a Polar Bird 2T yesterday at the Jack Traps kids derby!!!  We set it up in her bedroom last night to check it out. Looks like a really nice shelter. I can't wait to get it on the ice.  The folks at Jack Traps really put on a great event. The turnout was impressive despite the weather.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Feb 21, 2016, 10:02 PM »
Polar bird 3T is all packed up and ready for its first trip to the ice. Can't wait to break it in with some fish! Heading north for a few days hope to hook a few touge.

Let us know how you like it! 

My daughter won a Polar Bird 2T yesterday at the Jack Traps kids derby!!!  We set it up in her bedroom last night to check it out. Looks like a really nice shelter. I can't wait to get it on the ice.  The folks at Jack Traps really put on a great event. The turnout was impressive despite the weather.

Congratulations!   ;D
The Polar Bird Team

Offline Frontier87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 26, 2016, 06:36 AM »
Let us know how you like it! 

Congratulations!   ;D

Well the Polar Bird did great! Got on to a bunch of fish stayed very warm and dry. It was a warmer day and we had a couple of inches of water running across the ice but with my floor i didn't have any issues, the water stayed out of my shack. it was also raining (first time i have ever seen a group on the ice with an umbrella) only had a few drips of water get in around the roof hub and windy sides hub. I'm sure i can fix that with some waterproof spray. Overall it was a great weekend.

Thank you Polar Bird for a great product!

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Feb 29, 2016, 12:24 AM »
Well the Polar Bird did great! Got on to a bunch of fish stayed very warm and dry. It was a warmer day and we had a couple of inches of water running across the ice but with my floor i didn't have any issues, the water stayed out of my shack. it was also raining (first time i have ever seen a group on the ice with an umbrella) only had a few drips of water get in around the roof hub and windy sides hub. I'm sure i can fix that with some waterproof spray. Overall it was a great weekend.

Thank you Polar Bird for a great product!

Thank you very much for your feedback, support, and for sharing!  We are glad you enjoyed the shelter and were able to put it to use in the inclement weather.   ;D
The Polar Bird Team

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #66 on: Mar 06, 2016, 07:17 PM »
After fishing with my 4T Polar Bird here are a few more tips. If the wind is blowing anchor a corner into the wind because the wind will collapse a side if it is squared off to the wind. The anchors cannot stand much pressure and must be drilled into the ice as far as the loop or else they will bend. Black ice is hard to put the anchors in because the ice will shatter. Putting in the anchors is the most time consuming thing of the whole set-up. Ice climbing anchors are the best because of the hollow center allowing the ice shavings a place to go. When setting up on a windy day it is best to anchor the four corners down before popping out the sides. Just my two cents.
Steve

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Mar 06, 2016, 07:42 PM »
After fishing with my 4T Polar Bird here are a few more tips. If the wind is blowing anchor a corner into the wind because the wind will collapse a side if it is squared off to the wind. The anchors cannot stand much pressure and must be drilled into the ice as far as the loop or else they will bend. Black ice is hard to put the anchors in because the ice will shatter. Putting in the anchors is the most time consuming thing of the whole set-up. Ice climbing anchors are the best because of the hollow center allowing the ice shavings a place to go. When setting up on a windy day it is best to anchor the four corners down before popping out the sides. Just my two cents.

Agreed on all accounts, except the ice climbing screws. I haven't had the opportunity to try those yet. I just packed up my 4T and put it away for the season. Until next year...

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #68 on: Mar 07, 2016, 04:13 PM »

Bring a drill

http://www.fishusa.com/product/HT-Enterprises-Ice-Anchor-Power-Drive-Tool?utm_source=google_ps&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_ps&gclid=CO_JqYDMr8sCFZEXHwodHfgO2w

I anchor the upwind corner first . I use the corner away from the door making the door the downwind corner .

Then open it up and anchor the 4 hubs with lines to the anchors. With it rigged like that the only thing is a strong wind sometimes pops the top down But that's an easy push back into place .

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #69 on: Mar 07, 2016, 04:44 PM »
Get the drill attachment, what a time saver. I was going to get the Clam bit but it's plastic and bad reviews. I got the Eskimo metal bit and it's slick, cheap money.
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #70 on: Mar 07, 2016, 04:51 PM »
I have three ice climbing anchors and can put all three in faster than the screw anchor. I thought about bringing a cordless drill. but that is just another thing to forget or carry. Cabela's has them for sale with 4 in a pouch.
Steve

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #71 on: Mar 07, 2016, 05:02 PM »
I saw those ice climber screws at 27 bucks a piece?
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #72 on: Mar 07, 2016, 05:34 PM »
The ones I saw were 13.00 for the four marked down from 26.00.
Steve

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #74 on: Mar 07, 2016, 05:49 PM »
 Item: IK-136851    Four ice anchors $22.00.
Steve

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Mar 08, 2016, 08:24 AM »
You can definitely bend the Eskimo ice anchors... Just ask my friend who borrowed my shanty! After that happened I always make sure to screw them down all the way. My quick fish 3 is probably only good for one more season and I will be taking a serious look at the polar bird. My kahtoola micro spikes never leave my ice fishing boots (big tree fall hard), can the floor really handle those?

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Mar 08, 2016, 09:24 AM »
You can definitely bend the Eskimo ice anchors... Just ask my friend who borrowed my shanty! After that happened I always make sure to screw them down all the way. My quick fish 3 is probably only good for one more season and I will be taking a serious look at the polar bird. My kahtoola micro spikes never leave my ice fishing boots (big tree fall hard), can the floor really handle those?

I probably wouldn't wear the Kahtoolas on the floor of the PolarBird. I'm pretty sure they'd puncture it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.