The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Polar Bird 4T - Maiden Voyage  (Read 6585 times)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Polar Bird 4T - Maiden Voyage
« Reply #30 on: Feb 08, 2016, 04:19 PM »
You can use the bag as sleeping bag if you wanted too.

Or maybe a body bag?

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #31 on: Feb 08, 2016, 05:35 PM »
I bought a bigger clam 4000 last year but it's just way to big to go out by myself, def looking to get something smaller since I fish by myself a lot.

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:03 PM »
From the sounds of everyones reviews I should buy one.

Come to the shop and look at them. Two (3) person shacks left with free floor. I'll put your name right on it. They are a really nice product and very warm.
http://www.sebagobait.com/
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:
Mon-Thurs 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Fri 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Weekends starting at 5:00 am during ice fishing season (Jan 1, 2019)

THE HOME OF FREE AUGER BLADE SHARPENING

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 08, 2016, 11:06 PM »
I used the floor for the first time on Saturday. It was a little heavier than I anticipated, so the sled was a little more weighted down hauling it up the lake on foot. I was impressed with how easy it goes in and comes out. It certainly helps prevent "wind lift" too when it gets breezy. I thought it insulated well and it was nice to walk around on a dry surface instead of the wet, slippery ice that most pop-ups have after some melting. The floor does slide around a bit when it's wet underneath it but I didn't find it bothersome. I didn't use the holes to fish out of, since I usually only fish tip-ups, so I can't speak to how effective they are or easy to use. I did notice some of the material wasn't completely sealed together around one of the holes and I'm hoping no water made its way into the inside of the floor, but I'm not too concerned about it. Overall it's a nice option to have. It's not always necessary to bring it along or use it, depending on conditions, but when it is, it's great to have it.

(Image removed from quote.)

Thank you for the great honest feedback.  Take a look at that floor for us and let us know if its sealed properly or not.  If its not, a PVC adhesive will take care of it.  You can either contact us and we can have it repaired or you can do it yourself.  Which ever is easiest for you.  Thank you again, and we are very glad you like it!
The Polar Bird Team

Offline alpha bite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 09, 2016, 01:59 AM »
What are the windows like? Not seeing any in the pictures.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. –Koos Brandt

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #35 on: Feb 09, 2016, 05:06 AM »

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 09, 2016, 10:30 PM »
Lots of videos and PICs.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=326079.msg3460304#msg3460304

Thank you for helping. 

The windows are marked by a blue "awning" that keeps rain, snow, and wind out.  They are positioned high and are primarily used for ventilation.  We designed the doors with dual zippers to be used for checking tipups and poking your head out in order to extend the life of the shelter.  Many other models on the market have been ruined by the constant velcro/unvelcroing of the windows.  Not to mention the thin clear poly material turning milky and cracking.  We decided to go with a lighter more durable insulated tent fabric to allow light in, creating a naturally heating passive solar environment inside the shelter.  This makes the shelters much brighter on the inside for baiting hooks, tying on jigs, etc...  Many are skeptical of the design until they use them on the ice.  We have found great success with this design.  I hope this helps shed some light on the subject.  Thank you for the great questions!
The Polar Bird Team

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 15, 2016, 08:19 AM »
After using the 4T a few times, I've noticed that the anchor screws that come with the shack seem to bend fairly easily. I've found that I have to bend them back to being straight (as straight as possible) each time I get home. Twice they've bent over, even when they've been screwed down to the base, just from normal movement of the shack. I guess that would be one suggestion for improvement in the future. The shelter help up well in the cold and wind on Saturday. It stayed comfortable in there with the little buddy heater. I only had to put one hub strap out into the wind because the wind was strong enough to pop the wall in, but once the strap was attached there were no more issues. Another suggestion might be to put some kind of stippling or texture in the PVC floor to help with slipping. Once the floor gets wet, it can get a little slippery, but not a deal-breaker by any means.

Offline METOVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Maine to Vermont & Back
« Reply #38 on: Feb 15, 2016, 09:05 AM »
After using the 4T a few times, I've noticed that the anchor screws that come with the shack seem to bend fairly easily. I've found that I have to bend them back to being straight (as straight as possible) each time I get home. Twice they've bent over, even when they've been screwed down to the base, just from normal movement of the shack. I guess that would be one suggestion for improvement in the future. The shelter help up well in the cold and wind on Saturday. It stayed comfortable in there with the little buddy heater. I only had to put one hub strap out into the wind because the wind was strong enough to pop the wall in, but once the strap was attached there were no more issues. Another suggestion might be to put some kind of stippling or texture in the PVC floor to help with slipping. Once the floor gets wet, it can get a little slippery, but not a deal-breaker by any means.

I haven't notice the anchors bending. I used three anchors Saturday, one connected from the hub and two by the skirt after a wall popped as well.

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 15, 2016, 10:57 AM »
I haven't notice the anchors bending. I used three anchors Saturday, one connected from the hub and two by the skirt after a wall popped as well.

Huh. I wonder if I got some weak ones or something.

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 15, 2016, 12:00 PM »
I bent one of mine. I bought 8 Eskimo anchors and the drill adaptor.. The stakes are a little weak.. But not a deal breaker.

Offline METOVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Maine to Vermont & Back
« Reply #41 on: Feb 15, 2016, 12:24 PM »
I screw my anchors in pretty far - almost right to the end and when connected to the hub keep it at a sharp angle. Not sure if that makes a difference in keeping them from bending?

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 15, 2016, 12:44 PM »
I find that the eskimo anchors are much better than any of the other shelters (i have a shappel 6500).  This year i went out and boat some eskimo anchors along with the new deluxe ice anchors from cabelas.  So much better and the deluxe anchors are great for attaching to the hubs.  Would recommend both.

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 15, 2016, 01:01 PM »
I find that the eskimo anchors are much better than any of the other shelters (i have a shappel 6500).  This year i went out and boat some eskimo anchors along with the new deluxe ice anchors from cabelas.  So much better and the deluxe anchors are great for attaching to the hubs.  Would recommend both.

Good to know. I might have to look into those. Thanks.

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Feb 16, 2016, 03:11 AM »
Thank you everyone for the information.  We will make sure this is looked in to properly and re-mediated.  Not sure why the stakes were bending, but we will get to the bottom of it as soon as possible.  As for the flooring, we may look into other methods of texturing.  Thank you all again, we truly appreciate everyone's honesty and help. 
The Polar Bird Team

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 17, 2016, 02:58 PM »
I've been reading this thread for over a week now and have been impressed with the comments on design and ease of use. My wife and  I stopped at Old Town Trading Post 2 days ago, looked at one that was set up, and bought the 4T. It sure is easy to put up and take down. I'm convinced it will be a best seller.

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #46 on: Feb 17, 2016, 03:27 PM »
x2 on the Eskimo anchors! They work great!
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 17, 2016, 08:30 PM »
I've been reading this thread for over a week now and have been impressed with the comments on design and ease of use. My wife and  I stopped at Old Town Trading Post 2 days ago, looked at one that was set up, and bought the 4T. It sure is easy to put up and take down. I'm convinced it will be a best seller.

Great choice! Let us know what you think after using it.

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 17, 2016, 10:13 PM »

Thank you for choosing Polar Bird.  Please let us all know how you like it.   ;D
The Polar Bird Team

Offline LakeAddict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 18, 2016, 03:52 AM »
What is the size difference between the 3T and the 4T?

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 18, 2016, 04:19 AM »
What is the size difference between the 3T and the 4T?

Our 3-man shelter (3T) is 79" X 79" X 71" and our 4-man shelter (4T) is 91" X 91" X 75 "

You can also visit polarbird.com for more details, or feel free to ask here. 
The Polar Bird Team

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 18, 2016, 05:36 AM »
Our 3-man shelter (3T) is 79" X 79" X 71" and our 4-man shelter (4T) is 91" X 91" X 75 "

You can also visit polarbird.com for more details, or feel free to ask here.
I was been following all the Polar bird threads, our doing a good job on the costumer relations, getting back to questions quick, taking in feed back. It's a nice shack am I  glad to have jumped in on one early.. thanks

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #52 on: Feb 18, 2016, 07:35 AM »
I have used mine a couple of times just ecause  have to work weekdays and only have the weekend off. The 4T was warm even without heat, but a Mr. Buddy is all you need. The floor could use some traction, but it's not that noticeable. Compared to the other pop-ups, that people were using where I was fishing, it was rated #1. I did find the screws anchors hard to put in and took up most of the time when setting up. I would suggest getting some of the ice screw that are hollow in the middle like the ones they use for climbing ice. I found the shelter very comfortable and I didn't want to give up and go home. I'm very happy that I bought it.
Steve

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 18, 2016, 09:25 PM »
Hey pegasus, where might one find the hollow screws that you're talking about? Any specific website? Those were actually what I had in mind for anchors.

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 18, 2016, 10:26 PM »
Thank you guys for the support and feedback! 

We are currently looking into the ice anchors for improvements.   
The Polar Bird Team

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #55 on: Feb 19, 2016, 06:34 AM »
Hey pegasus, where might one find the hollow screws that you're talking about? Any specific website? Those were actually what I had in mind for anchors. Cabela's had 4 plus a carrying bag on sale this month for $13.89, marked down from $24.00.
Steve

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #56 on: Feb 19, 2016, 06:50 AM »
Most anchors that come with most every other shelter, other than Eskimo are not of the same quality as the Eskimo anchors, the Eskimos are about twice the size of all the others...beefy...

People have been upgrading their Clam, Shappell, ect. anchors with Eskimo anchors for years now. If you use the search function on Ice Shanty you will see this discussed at length.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #57 on: Feb 19, 2016, 07:02 AM »
I like the ones for ice climbing because they go quicker. I hauled my ice shack out of a pressure ridge with my 4 wheeler hooked into one of those anchors. You can buy them also on E-bay under climbing equipment.
Steve

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #58 on: Feb 19, 2016, 07:17 AM »
I have a couple of ice climbing anchors too...they do go in nice and smooth because they are hollow and they hold like a bastid....but they are wicked expensive.

I think the Eskimo anchors are a pretty good compromise....but I agree with you...the climbing anchors are the best you can find.

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 19, 2016, 03:10 PM »
I looked up ice climbing screws and you're right, they're pretty expensive! The cheapest I found was $40 for one screw! The Cabelas Deluxe Anchor set looks good but they're sold out with no indication of restocking. The Eskimo anchors are readily available though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.