Author Topic: There HAS to be an easier way !  (Read 6092 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
There HAS to be an easier way !
« on: Dec 11, 2017, 05:33 AM »
Anyone have any ideas on tying a dropper line to the main line ?  I have tried this method but with 3# test..  :%$#!:   

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: There HAS to be an easier way !
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2017, 08:54 AM »
I just tie the dropper jig on with a surgeons loop and leave a long tag end. Then I tie my main jig onto the long tag end. Easy peasy.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2018, 11:23 AM »
I do the same as Ryan.....

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2018, 12:30 PM »
Old thread but for anyone still interested The Fishin' Hole carries
https://www.fishusa.com/product/Bear-Paw-Tackle-Line-Leader-Connectors

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Why not just do a dropper loop?

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2018, 12:55 PM »
I think the question is are you trying to add a more supple line to your main line so the jig sits more natural. This may be a good solution I'm not sure. But if you are trying to creat dropper loops and are happy to use the same leader material as your main line to your bottom most rig. Than a three turn overhand surgeons not is quickest and easiest. The top of the loop can be cut and you can directly tie a jig or hook to the line or the loop can be threaded through the eye of a jig or hook leaving the rig interchangeable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=huwisDgF4EQ

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2018, 01:55 PM »
I have not personally tried this, but want to this season. The knots used for sabiki rigs look useful for this situation, i.e. something like this https://skyaboveus.com/fishing/SabikiRig

I am going to try something like that but with only 2 and 3 dropper lines instead of a full sabiki rig which usually has like 5 or 6, which I’m thinking may be unwieldy for ice fishing.

Edit: also, I would also use lighter line more appropriate for ice fishing than what they use in the link

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2018, 06:22 AM »
I think the question is are you trying to add a more supple line to your main line so the jig sits more natural. This may be a good solution I'm not sure. But if you are trying to creat dropper loops and are happy to use the same leader material as your main line to your bottom most rig. Than a three turn overhand surgeons not is quickest and easiest. The top of the loop can be cut and you can directly tie a jig or hook to the line or the loop can be threaded through the eye of a jig or hook leaving the rig interchangeable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=huwisDgF4EQ

You dont have to cut that loop, if line is thin enough just put it through like a dropper. I use this rig for tog fishing. Betweens rocks, snags and big tog, the knot has held up well.

But I would just spend the 2 dollars on a sabiki rig and cut it in half. 2 rigs for price of one.

Or you can tie a dropper. It's easy once you get the hang of it. Dont get frustrated is the knot pulls right out first few times. I've tried droppers for years and I still get some that aren't right.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.