Author Topic: Fun Day at Lake John  (Read 679 times)

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fun Day at Lake John
« on: Feb 23, 2014, 11:11 AM »
Drove over Cameron Pass Saturday to Lake John.  Saw a red fox on a snow drift atop the pass, then followed a moose down the road for 1/4 mile just east of Walden.  Roads pretty snowy, but well-plowed. Some brief whiteout conditions, but overall passable.

Set up just east of the picnic area below the resort about 8 am.  Ice about 24" thick.  Lots of vehicles on the ice.  Met some nice folks from Brighton who were at John for the first time.  Water clarity was spectacular.  I could still see the jig at 12'.  Caught most of the fish about a foot off the bottom in 14' of water.  Used a Ratso glow head jig with tube removed and put small krill on the hook (got the frozen krill at a pet store).  They seemed to like it, though everyone else was doing pretty well with mealies as well.

The catch is different from last year.  For every bigger fish I caught (14-17"), I caught about 5 small recent stockers (8"ers) a lot like the ones at Red Feather.  But the promise of a big one kept me at it.  Here's a pic of my nicest of the day - a fat 17" cutbow.

There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fun Day at Lake John
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2014, 05:00 PM »
Nice cutbow!

Offline ice warrior

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2014, 08:50 AM »
    nice catch @)

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2014, 07:52 PM »
Love the venom float.  Good job, wish that I could get there.

s

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2014, 09:42 PM »
Shoe -
    You and I need to meet up out there again soon.  I promise not to tease you about your Green Bay colors!  Glad the venom float made it into the picture (thanks for the tip about getting it).  It worked like a charm.

We're probably going next Saturday.  That looks like the best weather break, if you can believe the forecast.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.