Author Topic: Flasher Batteries  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Cooey22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flasher Batteries
« on: Jan 19, 2021, 11:12 PM »
hello all
I am looking to replace a battery on my Flasher and really not sure what i should get
Any one got advice on which battery I should get
Don

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Flasher Batteries
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2021, 11:40 PM »
What battery do you have that needs that needs to be replaced?
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Cooey22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2021, 09:11 AM »
I have no battery now
So dont know that is why I am asking

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2021, 09:19 AM »
I don't know what make of flasher you have but I would spend the money on .the new Lithium batteries.  I've seen them on line for under $50.00  They hardly weight anything and can be charged up to 2000 times compared to the old style of 500 times.  They last longer so less charging.   Buddy just bought one and he loves it.  He said his old charger would charge it up..  I haven't check in to that part of it yet. Just make sure you check the Ah and amps

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2021, 09:28 AM »
I have no battery now
So dont know that is why I am asking

What flasher are you running? This is important so you can estimate power draw for the flasher you use. Is it mechanical or a newer graph model? Screen size?

If you go with a newer lithium type battery, its a good idea to get the proper charger for it to maximize it's life.

That said, any lithium that is 7ah or above should be good for a day on the ice.

I run a 10ah lithium because i am using a Garmin 73sv, it draws about .75 amps per hour if the brightness is down

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2021, 09:39 AM »
Standard flasher battery is a 12 volt 7ah (9ah also works great) sealed lead acid battery.

UB1270 or UB1280 or UB1290 all are standard. These are what I used to buy https://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Battery-12V-9AH-Sealed/dp/B005J510PK/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=12v+9ah+sla&qid=1611157041&sr=8-8

EYECONICFISHING

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2021, 09:41 AM »
Listen... all these guys are going to critique what gear your using and what you should run. If you are looking for a light weight battery that is going to do everything you want with more power than you'll need. 55$ and your good - 12V 16Ah Deep Cycle LiFePO4 Battery, 2000 Cycles Miady LFP16AH Rechargeable Battery, Maintenance-Free Battery

You will need a special charger for the lithium batteries but there roughly 20$ online.

I currently run an entire sled mod off two of these running parallel and have had no issues and these are the newer LiFePo4 style batteries.
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2021, 09:50 AM »
Listen... all these guys are going to critique what gear your using and what you should run. If you are looking for a light weight battery that is going to do everything you want with more power than you'll need. 55$ and your good - 12V 16Ah Deep Cycle LiFePO4 Battery, 2000 Cycles Miady LFP16AH Rechargeable Battery, Maintenance-Free Battery

I currently run an entire sled mod off two of these running parallel and have had no issues and these are the newer LiFePo4 style batteries.

Dont forget a LiFePO4 charger too, you will damage the battery using a normal 12V charger over time. Its also not going to fit in most flasher battery trays. but probably a good battery none the less.

They do make a size that will fit your flasher case just fine, you can get a 7ah one from dakota for $100 or 10ah for $120 (both with charger).. dakotas come with 11 year warranty.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2021, 10:01 AM »
Dont forget a LiFePO4 charger too, you will damage the battery using a normal 12V charger over time. Its also not going to fit in most flasher battery trays. but probably a good battery none the less.

They do make a size that will fit your flasher case just fine, you can get a 7ah one from dakota for $100 or 10ah for $120 (both with charger).. dakotas come with 11 year warranty.

I did note a special charger was required. Have fun with your said 11 years warranty and let me know how that manufacture honors that when you really need it. All of these manufactures are finding ways out of what they say they honor in some fashion or another.

Buddy of mine bought all new ridgid gen 5 gear because of the lifetime warranty and didn’t know he only had a specific time to register his tools and ended up spending 800$ on tool now that are not honored by ridgid because he was a week past when they said they should be registered.
But they gladly took his tool information down on their website to document which tools they won’t have to replace... after selling that as there primary reason for the cost.

My point is, finding a manufacture that holds true to there word is beyond rare now. If you think Dakota is any different from these other manufactures, they have probably designed their battery to fail right at 11 years
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2021, 10:17 AM »
Well if your just running a flasher i would recommend any cheap 9ah sla battery.7ah is good to but a 9ah is more power  at low cost.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2021, 11:03 AM »
I did note a special charger was required. Have fun with your said 11 years warranty and let me know how that manufacture honors that when you really need it. All of these manufactures are finding ways out of what they say they honor in some fashion or another.

Buddy of mine bought all new ridgid gen 5 gear because of the lifetime warranty and didn’t know he only had a specific time to register his tools and ended up spending 800$ on tool now that are not honored by ridgid because he was a week past when they said they should be registered.
But they gladly took his tool information down on their website to document which tools they won’t have to replace... after selling that as there primary reason for the cost.

My point is, finding a manufacture that holds true to there word is beyond rare now. If you think Dakota is any different from these other manufactures, they have probably designed their battery to fail right at 11 years

Sorry about that, you edited your post while I was replying evidently.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2021, 12:20 PM »
Well if your just running a flasher i would recommend any cheap 9ah sla battery.7ah is good to but a 9ah is more power  at low cost.
  What he said.

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2021, 12:55 PM »
can someone refresh my memory on the math for figuring your battery life?

Humminbird says my helix 5 Chirp GPS G2 draws 615mA. I'm running an old motor sports lead-acid battery, and just wondering how many amp hours i should look at when i pull the trigger on an upgrade to lithium.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2021, 01:05 PM »

If you get 11 years out of a battery, who cares if it goes bad?  Just wondering.  Most people don't keep their flasher for 11 years before they move on to '"newer" technology.  I totally agree with Doc, any 9ah 12v battery will work great.  The thing you need to do is check the size of the battery well in your flasher and go to battery+ or some other place where they sell batteries and see which one will fit your flasher's well.

my 50 dollar battery only lasted 9 years! this is some BS!!. 

yeah dump 50 bucks into a 7ah lifepo battery, shave 3lbs off the setup and you'll be happy.   

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2021, 01:11 PM »

^^^Ditto

With an added "9ah vs. 7ah" means 9ah will power your device longer. There is a calculation you can use to estimate how long the battery may last on a single charge. I believe its ah X volts divided by energy required for device = hours of run time.
So if your flasher uses 10 watts of power, and have a 12v 9ah battery it's 12 x 9 = 108, and 108/10 = 10.8 hours approx.

There may be a more precise calculation but that's what I work with.

Remember that different batteries types will charge and drain differently under the changing conditions we encounter during the winter.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2021, 01:37 PM »
can someone refresh my memory on the math for figuring your battery life?

Humminbird says my helix 5 Chirp GPS G2 draws 615mA. I'm running an old motor sports lead-acid battery, and just wondering how many amp hours i should look at when i pull the trigger on an upgrade to lithium.

615mah is 0.615 amps. Batteries are rated in amps per hour so a 10ah battery will give up 10amps for 1 hour or 1 amp for 10 hours. So 10/.615 gives your runtime, 16.2 hour. With lead acid batteries we would get about 70% of the batteries runtime in actual use... with lithium we get about 90%. So a 10ah SLA would probably run for 11 hours or so, and a 10ah lithium will run for around 14.5 hours.

To throw another curve in that road, that 615mah is your MAX draw (humminbird tells you this so you can chose the correct wiring). Could draw as low as 3-400mah or so depending on your settings and brightness setting. You can use a multimeter to test your draw.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2021, 01:51 PM »
hello all
I am looking to replace a battery on my Flasher and really not sure what i should get
Any one got advice on which battery I should get
Don

Guys have given you bits and pieces of all this. You seem new let me condense it all for you.

You said flasher battery. Take note that most flashers have a compartment which fits a specific sized battery. You’ll want a battery that will fit in the compartment.

For most flashers the compartment battery was made to fit the classic standard Sealed Lea Acid battery (SLA Battery) in the common 12volt 9ah or 12volt 7ah size. These run about $20 for a battery.

If you can find the higher AH (AmpHour) battery you’ll want to get it. The higher the AH the longer the run time you will have with it before the battery goes dead.

The last number of years Lithium batteries have come a long ways. They are double the cost or more of lead acid batteries.

Here is the advantage of lithium over lead acid.

1.Lithium’s have a 2000 charge cycle life verse a 500 charge cycle life of lead acid.

2. Every time you charge a lead acid battery you lose a little ah time. A lithium battery you don’t lose ah time recharging it. What this means is when a lead acid battery ages you get less run time on the flasher. As a lithium ages you do not lose run time.

3.lithium’s are considerably lighter in weight then a lead acid battery.

4. You can get a higher ah battery in lithium then you can in lead acid in the battery size that fits the flasher compartment.

So to sum things up. If you don’t want to spend a lot of money a $20 sealed lead acid 12volt 9ah battery will get you going in work fine. Just be aware that older & more you use the battery the short the run time you will get.

A lithium cost more up front, but long term is actually going to be cheaper. You won’t lose run time from age or using it more.  Plus you can get a battery with bigger ah giving you longer run time. For example 12volt 10ah lithium’s.

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2021, 03:03 PM »
615mah is 0.615 amps. Batteries are rated in amps per hour so a 10ah battery will give up 10amps for 1 hour or 1 amp for 10 hours. So 10/.615 gives your runtime, 16.2 hour. With lead acid batteries we would get about 70% of the batteries runtime in actual use... with lithium we get about 90%. So a 10ah SLA would probably run for 11 hours or so, and a 10ah lithium will run for around 14.5 hours.

To throw another curve in that road, that 615mah is your MAX draw (humminbird tells you this so you can chose the correct wiring). Could draw as low as 3-400mah or so depending on your settings and brightness setting. You can use a multimeter to test your draw.
Perfect! This is exactly what i was looking for! Thank you!

It confirms my suspicion that i don't NEED a 10ah; a 6 or 7 will be enough for a day of fishing. but if i decide to spend the money, the extra little bit to bump up to a 10ah would probably be worth the money, especially if i want to charge up my phone or something as well.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2021, 03:24 PM »

I concur.

Offline Cooey22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2021, 07:37 PM »
Ok thanks for the info
The flasher is a hummingbird 35
I only run the flasher.
Thanks for the advice

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2021, 07:54 PM »
Ok thanks for the info
The flasher is a hummingbird 35
I only run the flasher.
Thanks for the advice

Not familiar with your local retailers in the north county ..but if you give a name and/or website of the local sporting goods retailers . That would speed things up ... I could look up their inventory and provide you with a link(s) to the right battery . Do  have the charger that came with your Hummingbird ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Cooey22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2021, 08:09 PM »
Canadian tire and or Cabela's I do have the charger just bought the unit but had no battery
Thanks for the help
Don

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2021, 05:07 AM »
This an Amazon link with dimensions of the battery you need and should fit ..its a good price and its 9 ah ..so long runtime .. I did not see anything on the two retailers sites you posted ..but I would be certain that in store someone cn direct you to the battery or Walmart are know to have the same size battery in 7ah .. hope this helps.

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Max-Battery-ML9-12-Rechargeable/dp/B00K8V2Y8W?ref_=ast_sto_dp
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Cooey22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2021, 07:33 PM »
Thanks for some real help on this issue
Ordered the two pack today
Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.