Author Topic: SD Trespassing Question "Road Right of Way"  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Thwack_Attack

• IceShanty Rookie
SD Trespassing Question "Road Right of Way"
« on: Jan 08, 2020, 11:36 PM »
First Post!  Finally broke down an invested in some hard water gear. Long time fair weather fisherman out of a boat!  I Travel to SD frequently and am hoping to make the best of my business trips.  I am attempting to scout some of the small "sloughs" to start fishing as the smaller ponds will not be so overwhelming for a learning curve.  My questions, is if the road goes right by a slough are you able to access the body of water from the road? Would just like a confirmation on "Road Right of Way". 

Offline stealyourface

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: SD Trespassing Question "Road Right of Way"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2020, 01:01 AM »
Access=yes
park on the rd = some lakes, it will be posted if you can park there

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2020, 07:49 AM »
Power poles are usually on the right of way line as are fences and utility pedistals. If the ice or water extends past the right of way line into the ditch and you can walk across the right away line on the ice it should be legal. If a land owner doesn't want you fishing over his land and wants you off, it is best to leave. If a road goes under a frozen slough it should be ok to access the ice on the road right of way. The book of fishing regulations will show you the type of signs and buoys marking closed waters.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2020, 08:16 AM »
You should be fine in most cases. However I cant emphasize enough to not leave your vehicle in the way or cause any obstructions to the road. Leave plenty of space for traffic and also understand that large vehicles or machinery may need to get by on the same road you are parked on.

We have lots of high water this year and some ramps, parking lots and even roads to them are completely under water. Use common sense and good judgement where you leave your vehicle and you will be fine.

Offline majic0135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2020, 08:30 AM »
You can look on GF&P website for meandering water lakes, etc and shows which ones are closed to public.
majic

Offline wesb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2020, 09:04 PM »
I'm currently on a kayaking trip trying to jump from slough to slough. I've ran into a couple of "posted" signs, but a quarter mile away the water reaches the right of way. Are these lakes fair game to access via right of way

Offline wesb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2020, 07:58 AM »
I imagine as long as I stay off the private property I am legal.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2020, 08:58 AM »
I'm not from SD but asking guys on a fishing forum will get you opinions... Asking a game warden should get you answers, at the very least if you get into a legal problem you'll have a name and number or e-mail for the officer that answered your questions for a reference. Good luck out there.

https://gfp.sd.gov/contactus/
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.