New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD  (Read 223647 times)

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« Reply #180 on: Mar 02, 2014, 04:05 PM »
Interesting day today.  Lots of bass, a few 16" class (targeting perch, but...).  The only decent perch I got was in 3 FOW.  THe excitement of the day was a school of suspending fish 5' down in 11 FOW.  Turns out they were big golden shiners.  I caught 1 about 8", but really needed a smaller jig.  Didn't have any tip ups along so I couldn't have done anything even if I did catch more but hey.  I ran into that school in 2 more holes and got lots of pecks but couldn't hook any more.  I got a 9.25" bluegill, which seems big  but I never really measure them (except this one) so I don't know if that is big or not.

I found the fish more receptive today, but couldn't find any other decent perch.  There are still lots of little guys once you get out to about 18' or deeper.

Had some luck with maki plastics today - although I put a single spike on too.  The "spiiki" seemed to work pretty good hooked in the head so it trailed out behind the jig.  I also used a "jamei" which looks really good in the water.  Both in bubble gum (not my first choice in color, but that's all they had left besides red.  I should have bought some red ones too).

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #181 on: Mar 02, 2014, 08:33 PM »
the lake levels change every year so this always changes the springs. SOmetimes they are there, sometimes they aren't. Dangerous lake for sure.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #182 on: Mar 03, 2014, 11:13 AM »
Drove all over the lake yesturday in my car with a couple buddies running and gunning for perch.   Had alot of fun. I saw lots of trucks out, even in the dangerous spring laden areas.   Almost bottomed out my hand auger in most places I drilled.   Fishing was good pretty much everywhere we tried.  Got alot of bass too.  they sure are fun on the perch rods.   

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #183 on: Mar 05, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Was planning on going out tomorrow after work. How has fitch rd been can you park on the ice? Haven't fished here since january!
!!FLAG!!

Offline Dr. Honk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NEED ICE
« Reply #184 on: Mar 05, 2014, 10:41 AM »
Yes you can park on the ice. Fished there on Sunday.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #185 on: Mar 05, 2014, 11:21 AM »
Was planning on going out tomorrow after work. How has fitch rd been can you park on the ice? Haven't fished here since january!

you only need a little bit of ground clearance to get down to the ice.   very bumpy out there, take it slow.   Tons of ice.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #186 on: Mar 05, 2014, 02:05 PM »
Parked on the ice near Fitch Road and then walked down the east side.  Fished from 5 to 20'.  One pickerel, very few lookers.  Very disappointing.  Only a couple other guys out, they weren't doing much either.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #187 on: Mar 05, 2014, 02:08 PM »
Parked on the ice near Fitch Road and then walked down the east side.  Fished from 5 to 20'.  One pickerel, very few lookers.  Very disappointing.  Only a couple other guys out, they weren't doing much either.

saw you over there this morning.   The rock bass were on fire at first light!

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #188 on: Mar 05, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Ok guys....crappies/gills gotta be coming in soon prime feeding times in the usual spots. Anybody noticed any increase in activity??? Gonna head out Friday AM early fish out off fitch.

Offline uglystickjake

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice ?
« Reply #189 on: Mar 06, 2014, 07:12 AM »
Maiden voyage for me on toga this year will be Sunday morning ... Leaving from the south end with the wheelers .. Looking to find a few of the old rock piles ..... Remember parking at the corner of Riley's  cove and walking a mile or so ....
*REMOVED*

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #190 on: Mar 06, 2014, 10:39 AM »
I'll be out there Saturday in my best spot I'm hoping the warm weather will increase activity and I'm gonna fish for some walleye too I've been talking to a lot of guys and they have been doing the best an hour before dark after that it's dead

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #191 on: Mar 06, 2014, 11:09 AM »
I'll be out tonight probally around 6 ish.    I'll be out in the minefield hoping to stay on top this top lol
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #192 on: Mar 06, 2014, 11:50 AM »
Haven't been out in over a week. Should be about right for me this weekend. I'll see you guys in the minefield. Hopefully they are waiting for me.
This house is protected by the good Lord and a gun

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #193 on: Mar 06, 2014, 02:37 PM »
Heading there in a few where would you go off of fitch or out by the pylons from the state launch. I am on the hunt for perch!
!!FLAG!!

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #194 on: Mar 06, 2014, 03:16 PM »
Fitch you will find more gills and crappie. I'd hit the launch.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #195 on: Mar 06, 2014, 06:39 PM »
Just got off.   It was nice to be all by myself nobody within a mile.    3 eyes and some perch.  They are finally moving to there staging areas.   I'll be back Monday evening as long as there's not a crowd nearby

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #196 on: Mar 06, 2014, 07:31 PM »
Did the eyes have any size to them?

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #197 on: Mar 06, 2014, 07:58 PM »
I caught about a half dozen golden shiners tonite.  Biggest about 10".  Last year it was fallfish, haven't caught a single one of them this year.  Somehow I feel like the golden shiner is much more desirable, although they are both just minnows.  I think I'll take some tipups next time and set some pike traps.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #198 on: Mar 07, 2014, 03:49 AM »
Eyes were around 18-21 inches with one around the mid 20's list at the hole

Offline Fidlerontheice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #199 on: Mar 07, 2014, 05:37 AM »
Went off of fitch found good some decent crappie and gills. Lost a 30" northern in the hole was using a ul rod for gills. Took 5 mins to get it to the hole! Tight lines and have a blast will be back Monday after work!
!!FLAG!!

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #200 on: Mar 07, 2014, 02:30 PM »
How deep off fitch? Went out today for a couple hours first light, nothing but friggin shiners.......

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #201 on: Mar 07, 2014, 03:19 PM »
Hopefully it doesn't get too crowded out there. I drive by the lake twice a day to and from work. Looks like a vast tundra lately. A couple of diehards pulling gills, that's about it. I wouldn't talk too loud about locations or you might have a lot of competition.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #202 on: Mar 07, 2014, 06:28 PM »
Fished Saratoga from noon til dark. 1 fat perch to start then nothing good til hour before dark. I punched a ridiculous amount of holes today moving around trying to find fish. Looking down the hole watching 20 tiny perch circle my jig was cool. Caught few bass and just shy of limit of nice gills.
 DEC was out checking fish and license when coming off the ice.

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #203 on: Mar 08, 2014, 01:07 PM »
Nice weather brought out the crowd today. I saw plenty of trucks out there on my way to work this morning. Saw a couple trucks in some dangerous spots. I thought people might learn from the posts on here. Some just have to
Live and learn. I'll be out there after work. Good luck and God speed.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #204 on: Mar 08, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Where are you referring too??

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #205 on: Mar 08, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Nice weather brought out the crowd today. I saw plenty of trucks out there on my way to work this morning. Saw a couple trucks in some dangerous spots. I thought people might learn from the posts on here. Some just have to
Live and learn. I'll be out there after work. Good luck and God speed.
When I got checked by DEC last night, he said he can't believe all the guys that are driving all over the lake. Talked to him for a while about ice fishing and  about the lake. Super nice guy.

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #206 on: Mar 08, 2014, 06:32 PM »
This has been the year of the 17 inch pickerel for me.  If anyone catches one with a chrome kastmaster, blue and silver blue fox spoon, orange jig, red jig, perch jigging rap, silver snap rap, 4 lb tip up leader, small gold swedish pimple, or an ice fly in its mouth i'd appreciate it back lol.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #207 on: Mar 08, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Yea the couple of dec officers that work the lake are a couple if good guys just doing there job.  I had them yell from shore to me early ice   Once I walked a zig zag patteren back to them they started laughing.    Have seen them out a couple times since them    Ant wait till Monday to get back out there.   

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #208 on: Mar 08, 2014, 10:29 PM »
Some ones been driving an suv right out to the mouth next to the first bouy .... not smart
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline Dr. Honk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NEED ICE
« Reply #209 on: Mar 09, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Yea the couple of dec officers that work the lake are a couple if good guys just doing there job.  I had them yell from shore to me early ice   Once I walked a zig zag patteren back to them they started laughing.    Have seen them out a couple times since them    Ant wait till Monday to get back out there.   

I have met both of the local Encon guys and agree with Combsey , they are great guys. One of them is a member of my fish and game club.

Going out this afternoon to see if I can find a fish or two.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.