Author Topic: BEST OR WORST ICE AUGER REVIEWS  (Read 29327 times)

Offline dcmod25

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: BEST OR WORST ICE AUGER REVIEWS
« Reply #30 on: Jan 25, 2019, 02:27 PM »
100 holes a day is a lot.  In an 8 hour day, that's about 12.5 holes per hour.  So on average, how many minutes do you spend in a hole?  Just curious.

My high run and gun day is 4 holes every 3 hours or so.  Maybe I'm too relaxed.

I usually drill 15 to 20 holes at each stop i make before i even start fishing. If i"m with another person one of us drills and the other checks the holes with a vex until we get on the fish. Depends on the species i"m fishing for but most of the time if i don't mark a fish in a minute or less i'm on to the next hole. Some holes i just check with the vex and move on if there is nothing marked. Granted its not every day i drill that many but there are day i do to stay on the active fish. If i mark fish and they are hesitant to bite i will also move on and look for active fish. More than once we have put 600+ fish (Yellow Bass) on the ice in a day. A few of these times have been in a 5 hour time frame. Granted if i'm walleye fishing the hole count is less

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2019, 02:37 PM »
Wow.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2019, 03:45 PM »
A k-drill? They have never been that high, maybe you saw the combo that includes a milwaukee drill.
  Just left Cabella Calgary this aft.  K Drill  sale  $369  Right next to an eskimo 8 two stroker for 359

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2019, 03:49 PM »
Need a coin flip, heads or tails. ;D
wish you many hook-ups

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2019, 04:00 PM »
  Just left Cabella Calgary this aft.  K Drill  sale  $369  Right next to an eskimo 8 two stroker for 359
Much different than our cabelas, on sale for 187.49
https://www.cabelas.com/product/K-DRILL/2131998.uts

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 26, 2019, 06:37 PM »
Much different than our cabelas, on sale for 187.49
https://www.cabelas.com/product/K-DRILL/2131998.uts
  And that is the sad part about it. US funds but still quite a bit lower than we have to pay in Canada.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 26, 2019, 06:40 PM »
I usually drill 15 to 20 holes at each stop i make before i even start fishing. If i"m with another person one of us drills and the other checks the holes with a vex until we get on the fish. Depends on the species i"m fishing for but most of the time if i don't mark a fish in a minute or less i'm on to the next hole. Some holes i just check with the vex and move on if there is nothing marked. Granted its not every day i drill that many but there are day i do to stay on the active fish. If i mark fish and they are hesitant to bite i will also move on and look for active fish. More than once we have put 600+ fish (Yellow Bass) on the ice in a day. A few of these times have been in a 5 hour time frame. Granted if i'm walleye fishing the hole count is less

600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   WOW     Would I love to see a pic of that.  Is there no limits down your way?

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #37 on: Jan 26, 2019, 07:16 PM »
600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   WOW     Would I love to see a pic of that.  Is there no limits down your way?

That's what I thought.  Then I wondered if each yellow bass is 1.5 lbs average which would be 900 lbs, how many trips to get them off the ice?  Then cleaning them, cooking them, eating them, and getting rid of bone and guts.  WOW.  Don't wanna fish with that guy.  To much work.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 27, 2019, 10:20 AM »
That's what I thought.  Then I wondered if each yellow bass is 1.5 lbs average which would be 900 lbs, how many trips to get them off the ice?  Then cleaning them, cooking them, eating them, and getting rid of bone and guts.  WOW.  Don't wanna fish with that guy.  To much work.
  What's not to believe,  I mean 600 with a weight as you figure at least 600lbs.  WOW

As the plate in my garage says

FISH STORIES SPOKEN HERE ;D

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 27, 2019, 10:29 AM »
I once pawed out 20 holes, with my bare hands, one morning when I forgot my auger.  It was March 12 and the ice was 32 inches.  Landed about 463 whites but only kept my limit of 10.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #40 on: Jan 27, 2019, 11:59 AM »
I once pawed out 20 holes, with my bare hands, one morning when I forgot my auger.  It was March 12 and the ice was 32 inches.  Landed about 463 whites but only kept my limit of 10.

WOW!  Your hands are tougher than mine used to be.  I use to make ornamental iron cravings with my thumb nails.  I chipped a tooth once twisting the flat bar with my teeth.  Lesson learned there LOL.   :roflmao:
wish you many hook-ups

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 27, 2019, 12:22 PM »
 The reviews on the honda/strikemaster four stroke are mixed but the bad stories are very bad,mostly build quality,oil leaking into carb and engine,. Also hard starting in the cold.the non metallic gear case sounds a lil weak.

Everyone seems to love the strikemaster 40 or 50v units.I may consider the 10",any reviews with the 10"?

Offline Newman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 27, 2019, 12:49 PM »
Have a jiffy 30 10 inch for years. Love it but I’m getting old. 37lbs to log around plus leaky gas now and then. This year got a 8 inch pistol bit with clam plate. Had the dewalt drill already. I love it. Cuts good, battery life good and only 13lbs. !! Giving a good test now as pushing 20 plus inches of ice. Still all good. Will see in March might have to pull jiffy back out?

Newman

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 27, 2019, 01:31 PM »
Have a jiffy 30 10 inch for years. Love it but I’m getting old. 37lbs to log around plus leaky gas now and then. This year got a 8 inch pistol bit with clam plate. Had the dewalt drill already. I love it. Cuts good, battery life good and only 13lbs. !! Giving a good test now as pushing 20 plus inches of ice. Still all good. Will see in March might have to pull jiffy back out?

Newman

I'm in the same boat but with the Strikemaster 40v 10 inch.  First year, so far so good.  I have the gas as March backup.  I don't think I'll need the gas but I'll put the electric to the test.

I have a flip over style shelter and on long distance trips with the skidoo I will put auger in the sled.  So nice not having to smell gas.  Need to make in insulated box for the batteries as they really do not perform if left out in below -10.

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 27, 2019, 02:05 PM »
 I mostly travel to lakes with truck access so keeping the battery warm shouldn't be an issue,if we sled in i might figure out a way to store it under the hood. Or maybe in a pocket with a hotshot hand warmer.

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 27, 2019, 02:16 PM »
I'm in the same boat but with the Strikemaster 40v 10 inch.  First year, so far so good.  I have the gas as March backup.  I don't think I'll need the gas but I'll put the electric to the test.

I have a flip over style shelter and on long distance trips with the skidoo I will put auger in the sled.  So nice not having to smell gas.  Need to make in insulated box for the batteries as they really do not perform if left out in below -10.

Interested to hear a report on how it does later in the season, haven't seen much out there demonstrating the 10" in the 3' plus ice conditions.  Last winter would have been a good test, most ice I've seen in a long time.

Offline dcmod25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 28, 2019, 01:13 PM »

Yellow bass are considered an invasive species here and there is no limit. the can easily over run a lake with the way they reproduce. the 600, 641 to be exact, yellow bass were caught during a most fish wins tourney, it was 2 years ago and is on a facebook page of the tournament. . if i say what the page is this post will likely be deleted. just have to google yellow bass tournament five island lake in iowa. if we wouldnt have caught them, i would have had a hard time believing it myself. since the first year of the tournament they have changed the rules to only weigh in 30 fish but can keep as may as you want and is suggested to keep all yellow bass caught. they are good eating but i do not clean them all. we dispose of them in a coyote pile that we have.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Jan 29, 2019, 11:30 AM »
The reviews on the honda/strikemaster four stroke are mixed but the bad stories are very bad,mostly build quality,oil leaking into carb and engine,. Also hard starting in the cold.the non metallic gear case sounds a lil weak.

Everyone seems to love the strikemaster 40 or 50v units.I may consider the 10",any reviews with the 10"?

That is a load of bunk for sure,  Honda has never had a second of issues with their motor.  Had mine for 5 yrs now and never had an oil leak into the carb. Maybe the old soho motors but never on my honda. 

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 29, 2019, 11:41 AM »
That is a load of bunk for sure,  Honda has never had a second of issues with their motor.  Had mine for 5 yrs now and never had an oil leak into the carb. Maybe the old soho motors but never on my honda.
I know plenty of people here who had issues with the Honda four stroke when they were released. One guy I know even had received three replacements before saying screw it and switching augers. So it’s not a load of bunk.

I got a new Strikemaster Solo when they first came out, how ever many years ago that was. I’ve never had an issue with it other than the recoil issue. Still starts and runs like a bat out of hell.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #49 on: Jan 29, 2019, 11:55 AM »
Turns into a battle over the Honda LOL.   :roflmao:
wish you many hook-ups

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 30, 2019, 06:31 PM »
review on the eskimo mako 43 cc ,10"

i borrowed this auger today from a friend and wow!!!! Super nice auger with exc torque  ,exc power and drills very fast with minimal pressure on it.My favorite part is how it cuts through the bottom of the ice without even knowing your there.2 pulls from last yrs use with the hyper coil and it just screams but is way quieter then my 19 yr old jiffy model 30. This is a contender for sure!!

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #51 on: Jan 30, 2019, 06:53 PM »
That's why I don't like trying the new stuff, I'd go broke.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline madatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 30, 2019, 07:20 PM »
Ive always been a gas auger guy.....Jiffy 30 for alot of years,then moved on to the Eskimo Z71.
Its been ok but this year its starting to annoy me.
I dont need to drill a 100 holes a day....the next auger I get is gonna be an electric,probably an Ion.
I am at a point in my life where I wanna get to lake and fish,and not worry about auger starting.

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 30, 2019, 07:30 PM »
Interested to hear a report on how it does later in the season, haven't seen much out there demonstrating the 10" in the 3' plus ice conditions.  Last winter would have been a good test, most ice I've seen in a long time.

Used mine in that kind of ice last year and there were no issues,

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 30, 2019, 11:06 PM »
i bet the new eskimo m51 ,51 cc would be a beast,the only prob i have heard with the esks is the hyper coil breaking,the one I borrowed had a replacement,3 yrs old.They are $40

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 31, 2019, 11:51 PM »
I wanted to get an ion, 3 of them. Used the new xmodel 8” when it came out, absolute garbage. I would not buy one and I would go out of my way at the store to tell someone not to buy one.

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 01, 2019, 09:10 PM »
Used mine in that kind of ice last year and there were no issues,

How many holes to you figure you could get out of a ten inch?

I'm not against electrics at all and wouldn't mind getting a strikemaster powerhead to mount on my 8 and 10" augers but right now I see it as more as a novelty item for me anyways.  I think it gets a little over stated as to the simplicity of an electric auger compared to a gas.  I get it, you go out and press a button and it drills.  That is great, but it's not hard to go and pull on a gas auger a couple of times until it starts either.  My old lazer mag still runs after 17 years and it drills through 6" or 46" of ice all the same.  Did a set of diaphragms at one point but it's never left me not fishing.  Have the pro lazer now and I kind of feel bad for the ice to be honest, it doesn't care how much or how long.  I just put gas in it.  With all the electronics a guy carries around nowadays with a family of fishers it's one last thing to worry about and charge at the end of the day.  Put it in the shed and forget about it.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 01, 2019, 09:23 PM »
     How many holes to you figure you could get out of a ten inch?

I'm not against electrics at all and wouldn't mind getting a strikemaster powerhead to mount on my 8 and 10" augers but right now I see it as more as a novelty item for me anyways.  I think it gets a little over stated as to the simplicity of an electric auger compared to a gas.  I get it, you go out and press a button and it drills.  That is great, but it's not hard to go and pull on a gas auger a couple of times until it starts either.  My old lazer mag still runs after 17 years and it drills through 6" or 46" of ice all the same.  Did a set of diaphragms at one point but it's never left me not fishing.  Have the pro lazer now and I kind of feel bad for the ice to be honest, it doesn't care how much or how long.  I just put gas in it.  With all the electronics a guy carries around nowadays with a family of fishers it's one last thing to worry about and charge at the end of the day.  Put it in the shed and forget about it.

Well said by someone that has never owned one  ;)
I don't know of anyone that made the switch and wanted to go back.  Me included.  No warm up no mess.  Instant hole.  I've drilled as many as 25 holes in a day and still on 2 ticks on one battery.  It really cannot be more simple.

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 02, 2019, 12:05 AM »
Really think the elec augers have come a long was since the first ions,to be honest I wasn't blown away by a friends ion when he bought it new several yrs ago but the strikemaster 40v is sure looking good.I chatted with a guy who ownsm the SM 40v and said his battery was done after sitting a yr and you are suppose to charge them often ,even when not in use.

The thing I like is the no gas smell,the wife always says,you wreak like gas after I return home from fishing,I didn't even eat beans either.I am planning a new ice shack and want to build it to sleep 2 min,I can't imagine climbing into a bed that has been gassed a 100 times from an auger.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 02, 2019, 10:17 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, the argument ender:

https://youtu.be/1qlnSbagaak

Give at least the part where Aaron uses the SM40 in -37C.  End of story.

By the way, Aaron on Uncut really is the best.  I just watched the entire video.  It is a new one.  And, I think I need to arrange for an ice fishing day on Aaron's level. Crazy amount of equipment but really a different way to spend an ice fishing day.  On a cold weekend like this, gets me warmed up and thinking about heading out....almost haha.  Enjoy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.