Author Topic: Ice updates  (Read 164980 times)

Offline Suds97

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice updates
« Reply #30 on: Dec 21, 2010, 06:43 PM »
12 inches on Swan Lake by Valleyview. Good fishin there too.

Offline perchfinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 21, 2010, 06:53 PM »
anyone have a ice update for pinehurst?

About a week and a half ago, buddy went to elinor, pretty close to there, flood water under a foot of snow and ice was 4" to 8". Said good thing he didnt drive the truck on at first!      :o

Offline pikehunter1989

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 21, 2010, 07:34 PM »
About a week and a half ago, buddy went to elinor, pretty close to there, flood water under a foot of snow and ice was 4" to 8". Said good thing he didnt drive the truck on at first!      :o

thanks for the update. might be picking a diffrent lake to head to next week than.

Offline Ffl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 22, 2010, 02:27 PM »
Anyone been out to badger reservior yet??
Going on monday.
Get some gaitors ?? 8)

Offline adamd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 22, 2010, 03:13 PM »
I was at badger on Saturday and there was 12-14 inches of ice with a bit of blown snow. My buddy got a 22lb monster so I'll be heading back the Monday as well.

Offline broadstbullie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:44 PM »
A. Required Minimum Ice Thickness in inches                 

B. Description of Safe Moving Load

A.           B.
1-3/4     One person on skies
2           One person on foot or skates
3           One snowmobile
3           A group of people walking single file
7           A single passenger automobile
8           A 2-1/2 ton truck
9           A 3-1/2 ton truck
10         A 7 to 8 ton truck

Offline Haukki Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Gull Lake
« Reply #36 on: Dec 23, 2010, 01:09 AM »
I went out to Wilson's Beach on my way into work last night.  There were about 5-6 shacks out there with vehicle tracks to each of them.  I went out on a road of sorts about 1-200 yards from the shoreline.  I didn't have time to punch any holes, but will on Friday when I put my shack out there.  I didn't notice any tracks headed across the lake yet.  I will try to update with some thicknesses after I get mine out there.

Offline Ffl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 23, 2010, 11:30 AM »
I was at badger on Saturday and there was 12-14 inches of ice with a bit of blown snow. My buddy got a 22lb monster so I'll be heading back the Monday as well.

Nice gaitor,
Was he using large smelts???
Thanks for the reply

Offline adamd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 23, 2010, 12:57 PM »
Nice gaitor,
Was he using large smelts???
Thanks for the reply

Hey, yeah we were using large smelts on a treble hook.

Offline Ffl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 23, 2010, 01:37 PM »

Hey, yeah we were using large smelts on a treble hook.

Right on man, see you out there monday.

Fish on.

Offline flyfisher001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 24, 2010, 01:05 PM »
hey there. I'm heading to ghost on boxing day.. any tips on the hot spots would be greatly appreciated. I tryed by the boat launch area and no luck.. looking to get some burbs and lakers.. what depths and baits / lures are working. and where on the lake... thanks..
pack out what you pack in, stay safe, and good fishing!!

Offline jaystev

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 'morning sunshine!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 24, 2010, 10:13 PM »
A. Required Minimum Ice Thickness in inches                 

B. Description of Safe Moving Load

A.           B.
1-3/4     One person on skies
2           One person on foot or skates
3           One snowmobile
3           A group of people walking single file
7           A single passenger automobile
8           A 2-1/2 ton truck
9           A 3-1/2 ton truck
10         A 7 to 8 ton truck

Remember this is for moving loads!!! the required thickness goes up for stationary loads!!

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 25, 2010, 11:26 PM »
(got my 8" powerauger for christmas... wa-hooo...it's a sign that the wife is giving permission to go more often and everything)
Going to go to Burntstick on Monday and meet up with Brother in law and his kid.
Anyone got any advise.. never fished there and don't know about the ice thickness or if it's a walk on.

-shackless
Fishing
           It's not life and death.
      It's more important than that.

Offline imgonnamissher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 26, 2010, 01:01 AM »
Congrats Shackless,  :thumbsup:
I haven't been to Burnstick yet, but it's on my bucket list! Let me know how you made out. :tipup:
When Hell Freezes over........I'll Ice Fish there too!    <><   <*}}}><     <><   <>< <><

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #44 on: Dec 26, 2010, 05:10 PM »
(got my 8" powerauger for christmas... wa-hooo...it's a sign that the wife is giving permission to go more often and everything)
Going to go to Burntstick on Monday and meet up with Brother in law and his kid.
Anyone got any advise.. never fished there and don't know about the ice thickness or if it's a walk on.

-shackless

Hey Shack

Hope you and your family had a great Holiday Season and have a even better New Year.

Congrats on the Power Auger. Good to hear that both Santa and your Wife think you should go out more often.

A customer told me last week of Burntstick , he said he has not caught any perch there as of yet. Is it hard to catch them there?

Be Safe Bro.

8)
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline pikehunter1989

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 26, 2010, 05:46 PM »
Went to Wabamun today and fished in town. Ice was 11-14 inches of solid ice. 4 or 5 trucks drove on. Including a 1 ton and a 3/4 ton. The thinner ice seemed to be more on the west side of the peir. And the fishing was a bit slow as well. Only managed one. Missed one and only had a couple coming to take peeks.

Offline Thundercatcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:17 PM »
Cool! I want to go there soon. How far out do you have to go?  Way past that fishing pier that is there?

Offline broadstbullie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 26, 2010, 09:26 PM »

-shackless

When you enter the lake from the south side I usually like to go out 500m and then about 400m west......

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 26, 2010, 11:05 PM »
When you enter the lake from the south side I usually like to go out 500m and then about 400m west......
Thanks so much for that...hpe the ice is nice and thick. need to give that new auger a work out :-)
Fishing
           It's not life and death.

Offline pikehunter1989

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Dec 27, 2010, 12:00 AM »
Cool! I want to go there soon. How far out do you have to go?  Way past that fishing pier that is there?

I usually head out about 125 yards past the peir. Either straight out or a bit over to the east (left side) there's a good sized weed bed in there. The right side is sand with some patches of weeds.

Offline Bulltrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:49 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has been to Twin Vally Res this year. Thinking about checking it out tomorrow

I also found a small site that posts info on Ice fishing derby's check it out icefishcanada.ca

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:55 PM »
BurntStick Lake
Ice on NE side near where the stoney Creek runs was 12.5" .. after wasting the morning decided to move..
Ice on South side  where the trailer court leads to a small lot where I parked my 2 WD truck ( wasn't gonna risk that one)  = 14" and it is very clear black(strong) ice.
the only real vehicle was a jeep CJ and a rhino... didn't see much else.
Caught one small Perch ut him back to fill out a little more. But they sure were fun to watch on FishTV.
Cheers :tipup:
(NotSo)Shackless
Fishing
           It's not life and death.

Offline broadstbullie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 27, 2010, 09:39 PM »
thanks for the update shackless.....notsoo.. ...lol

you could see lots of perch on your tv?

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Dec 27, 2010, 11:26 PM »
Heya BroadStBullie
I had prolly 6-10 around my hook a couple times... Was using a willow leaf as a flasher and had a maggot  tipped yellow glowhook 4" below that.
switched hooks and bait up many times including using only a glow with mealworms and maggots and no go... they don't like my jigging technique I guess. ???

S
Fishing
           It's not life and death.

Offline broadstbullie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:15 AM »
Heya BroadStBullie
I had prolly 6-10 around my hook a couple times... Was using a willow leaf as a flasher and had a maggot  tipped yellow glowhook 4" below that.
switched hooks and bait up many times including using only a glow with mealworms and maggots and no go... they don't like my jigging technique I guess. ???

S

LOL...too funny....Im not to sure I would want to see or know there was fish around my hook and no biting!!!That would drive me crazy for sure! You get your Fish TV from CT?

Offline CnRWalleyePro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 28, 2010, 05:20 PM »
Newbie here. Was out a CVR on Monday. Good strong 18 inches of ice where I was (SE end near the islands). Lots and lots of trucks driving right across the middle. A fellow angler out there told me that the ice thins to 12 inches as you get further from shore.

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 28, 2010, 05:39 PM »
I think this is a great idea.  my insurance DOES cover me if I go through the ice, however.  I have the policy in my home, and the rider is very clear.

Anyone want to know a company that will cover you, just call a broker...they can tell you/find out for you.

I wish I could stay with my old company for the summer and just use these guys for the winter...but too much of a hassle, so I stick with the ones that cover me if I go in the drink...not that that wouldn't be my last worry at that point.

Cheers!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline hooliganhodgie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:44 PM »
Was out at hasse today with the wife and kids looking for some pearch. Only had a few nibbles they didn't seem to interested. I was suprised there was only 11" of ice where i drilled. there was a few other trucks out on the ice including mine, but after i saw the 11" i parked back on shore. It is probably stong enough, but i still think it's sketchy under 15". There was about a foot of snow on the ice and some flood water, just a heads up if anyone was thinking of heading there.

Offline Thundercatcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:48 PM »
What were you using to catch them?   I was there on Monday , I caught a small perch and one got away. I was using maggots on a jig.

Offline Droptine894

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Dec 29, 2010, 12:50 PM »
Hey all,  New to forum.  Looked around and found some interesting info.  Am an avid ice nut and thought it would be cool to join.  Spend most of ice time on Northern Lakes chasing Walleye and Perch.
Was out at Slave (driftpile) on boxing day.  First on ice for third year in a row.  Road in was OK up to field, then it got nasty with drifting snow.  Clawed our way to lake with quads and ski-doos.  Once on the ice i thought it would be easy trekking.  Only slightly better than field.  Got out to GPS location and punched a few holes, around 14 inches of good solid ice.  Came across 1 gas pocket hole so anybody heading out beware.  Was about 5 feet in diameter with bubbles very apparent.
Set up for walleye and had new toy, Marcum Showdown Sonar in the water.  Picked up fish right away and hooked into first Eye within 10 minutes.  With 6 of us out we had 5 walleye on the ice within an hour, all around 19 to 20 inches.  Nice fish.  Around 1PM weather took a turn for the worse, wind came up and temps dropped.  Fished till about 4:30.  Group came out with 8 Walley, 5 burbot.  Also picked up about a dozen Pike (all small) and 1 tulibee.  All in all a good adventure and first day.
Not sure when heading back.

Note:
A buddy went up to Snipe the same day and did alright on Whites, no perch.  Ice about 12 inches with floodwaterdown 2 inches.

Later 

FISH HARD AND FISH OFTEN

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.