The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ready for ice!  (Read 2261 times)

Offline 307Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
Ready for ice!
« on: Oct 16, 2020, 11:20 AM »
Not gonna lie, as much as I love fly and open water fishing, I am ready for hardwater! I look forward to ice as soon as the last bit melts in the spring.

We picked up two older yamaha snow mobiles this summer and am hoping to get running so they could be used to get into more inaccessible places this winter.

This winter I would like to finally make it to toltec (snow mobile) and keyhole (first time for northern).

What are some of your destinations and goals this season?

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ready for ice!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2020, 07:39 AM »
My main goal is to just get out and fish this year.

Hunting is the goal right now, just down to one more elk for me, and one for my dad.  The temps are starting to look good in the high country get some colder water running down into the lake.

Offline jakediesel1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2020, 08:39 AM »
I am pumped to be walking on hard water as well. Really looking forward to tongue river reservoir early while waiting for Desmet to freeze. Had alot of good luck last year and hoping to revisit some good spots again this year

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2020, 11:43 AM »
Last winter I had my best ice fishing season; this winter I hope to top it. It'd be nice to go west and get some different species (lakers, burbot, etc), but biggest thing this year is gonna be exploring places around Laramie and Lincoln, NE. First ice can come any time it likes!

Also, if anyone wants to learn me how to catch eyes out of W3, I'd be game for an adventure!

Offline jmbeef

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2020, 02:22 PM »
My goal is to get on the ice as much as possible. I'm ready!

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2020, 11:46 PM »
There might be fishable ice in the laramie area by sunday or monday.  If there is, it might also melt in a few days too.

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2020, 11:25 AM »
I'd love to get a pre-Halloween ice session in; that would be my record for earliest hardwater fishing.

Offline jakediesel1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2020, 11:27 AM »
water around sheridan is still a little warm for early ice but the -6 low on sunday will help!

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2020, 07:25 AM »
Meadowlark might have fishable ice early, though that depends on how much snow the Bighorns get this weekend if ice has already started to form.

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2020, 10:30 AM »
water around sheridan is still a little warm for early ice but the -6 low on sunday will help!

jake:

The Wetlands Ponds in Buffalo was about 2/3rds skimmed over with ice on Friday (10/23) afternoon.  The low temps on Saturday and Sunday nights will build some ice, but then the warmer temps later next week will probably melt it.

A few years ago there were some people fishing on the Wetlands Pond on November 11, could not have been much ice, but they were out there.

ClearCreek

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2020, 02:39 PM »
I  am ready for ice I think, everything stockpiled from last year, clean dead suckermeat from cooler, test spin the new 10" Ion X auger.......yup, pullled the snap on that one.
Thread killer

Offline wyoicehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2020, 04:35 PM »
Me too! I can't wait to get back out there, blast some holes, catch some fishies and make some more videos
Check out my Youtube Channel for Wyoming Ice adventures and more.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCfdTy2S546y2nw0QJOuq8Jg

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 27, 2020, 11:10 PM »
Did I go ice fishing today? Yes. Should I have gone ice fishing today? Prooooobably not. All the ice was white, and there was only about 4" of it. If it had been warmer or windier I wouldn't have been on the lake. Wore a life jacket and had my spikes around my neck. It was sketchy, but now I can say I've ice fished before Halloween, so that's neat!
With the warmer weather the next few days though, the ice will deteriorate fast.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2020, 07:48 AM »
Be safe out there phishmonger. I know of a few others that have been out in the last couple days in Wyo. also, being out before Halloween is just crazy  :wacko: :cookoo: Hoping to be out in the next week or 2 here ourselves
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2020, 10:57 AM »
It's two years in a row that Laramie has had fishable ice before Halloween. last year I was on w3 ice fishing on October 30th. Though last year the ice stayed once it was on, this year I think the ice is going to melt this week and be back in 2 to 3 weeks

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2020, 11:28 AM »
It's two years in a row that Laramie has had fishable ice before Halloween. last year I was on w3 ice fishing on October 30th. Though last year the ice stayed once it was on, this year I think the ice is going to melt this week and be back in 2 to 3 weeks
Dang, I must have been hunting or something last year! And I'd lay money on the ice melting, especially with temps pushing 60 next week.

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2020, 03:50 PM »
Phishmonger beat me by a day, but I'm on today :-)

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2020, 09:42 AM »
Make us Greenies proud!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 29, 2020, 10:19 AM »
Phishmonger beat me by a day, but I'm on today :-)

Nice! How many did ya get?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #19 on: Oct 29, 2020, 11:11 AM »
NO  :'( :'(  Please don't tell waterlike. jk please tell, you Wyoming guys are killing me already as I'm hoping to get some water walking in maybe next weekend  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: all I can say is check your Wyoming icefishers youtube channels  @) for good 1st ice action
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 29, 2020, 12:56 PM »
I got four topside, all 🌈,and had another six jaw jacker whiffs. Don't usually miss that many with the jaw jacker but most of the fishing was in 3 ft of water and I think that had something to do with all the whiffs. That ice should be good today and tomorrow and then after that probably not. until the week of the 9th when it looks like winter is here for good. I can't make it up again today so I'm going to have to wait another week and a half to two weeks to get back on.

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 29, 2020, 01:30 PM »
I got four topside, all 🌈,and had another six jaw jacker whiffs. Don't usually miss that many with the jaw jacker but most of the fishing was in 3 ft of water and I think that had something to do with all the whiffs. That ice should be good today and tomorrow and then after that probably not. until the week of the 9th when it looks like winter is here for good. I can't make it up again today so I'm going to have to wait another week and a half to two weeks to get back on.

Sweet! Four fish in nothing to sniff at! What service are you using to get long-range forecasts?

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 29, 2020, 06:41 PM »
I don't use anything for long term forecast.  I just use the two week forecast available  from most weather sites.  And made assumptions :)  I figure that since the 9th of nov on looks like this in this area, it doesnt usually get very warm after mid november there, so I assume thats when the ice will form for good and build for the rest of the winter.

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 29, 2020, 07:20 PM »
NO  :'( :'(  Please don't tell waterlike. jk please tell, you Wyoming guys are killing me already as I'm hoping to get some water walking in maybe next weekend  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: all I can say is check your Wyoming icefishers youtube channels  @) for good 1st ice action

Im subscribed to prospectors youtube page....what a first ice walleye! If you catch one of those anytime of year in a five year span it would be an amazing catch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.