Author Topic: New Drills.  (Read 1812 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: New Drills.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2020, 08:25 AM »
I believe the  Dewalt Flexvolt advantage (home Depot) and the DeWalt Power Detect (Lowes) require the 8ah battery to achieve the higher UWO .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2020, 08:37 AM »
I believe the  Dewalt Flexvolt advantage (home Depot) and the DeWalt Power Detect (Lowes) require the 8ah battery to achieve the higher UWO .
Watched a video and the Dewalt 999 requires only an 6ah battery to achieve more output.
<===Lefty===

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2020, 08:38 AM »
I just picked up this Dewalt drill earlier this summer to replace a crappy 12v screw gun that my wife nuked. It's a heavy SOB for most functions, but it sure does sound nice when I start using it. The 8ah battery should come in handy once ice fishing season rolls around. I normally use a hand auger so it will be fun figuring everything out with the drill.

https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/drills/drills-and-hammer-drills/20v-max-xr-12-in-brushless-hammer-drilldriver-with-power-detect-tool-technology-kit/dcd998w1
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2020, 09:12 AM »
I just picked up this Dewalt drill earlier this summer to replace a crappy 12v screw gun that my wife nuked. It's a heavy SOB for most functions, but it sure does sound nice when I start using it. The 8ah battery should come in handy once ice fishing season rolls around. I normally use a hand auger so it will be fun figuring everything out with the drill.

https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/drills/drills-and-hammer-drills/20v-max-xr-12-in-brushless-hammer-drilldriver-with-power-detect-tool-technology-kit/dcd998w1
What is the UWO on that drill?
<===Lefty===

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2020, 09:17 AM »
according to the Lowes website, 1072 UWO, but from what I've read on here from a few people, UWO is not a great measurement of how well a drill can handle the work load.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2020, 09:21 AM »
hardwater diehard, that 998 I never saw before either but the jump from it 1072 UWO to the 999 1219 UWO is quite a jump up.
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2020, 09:37 AM »
hardwater diehard, that 998 I never saw before either but the jump from it 1072 UWO to the 999 1219 UWO is quite a jump up.

My only concern is what are the UWO w/o the 8ah battery ..on the 5ah what are the UWO? ...my best guess is cut outs (like the Ridgid Octane ) with a smaller battery . So weight may be a concern for some . Some IS member may dip a toe in that pond and give us a real on ice review . I would still go Milwaukee ...as it is tried true and tested.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2020, 09:51 AM »
I don't quite understand the differences between the 8ah XR powerdetect lithium battery and the 6ah flexvolt lithium battery. I know, or would assume, that the 8ah battery would last longer but the flexvolt has more output at the bit.

From all the reviews I watched/read about the 998 vs various drills make it seem very comparable in terms of use/function with the added bonus of a bigger battery. One of the reviews I watched compared the 998 with the 8ah battery versus the same drill with a 5ah battery and the drill did vastly better with the 8ah battery.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2020, 12:45 PM »
I'd match the battery to the drill as far as date or name or technology is concerned so they work together the way it is meant to work. Check what is recommended by manufacturer.

Makita was used in our glass shop back in  the day. They seemed to use better ni-cad cells. Never had issues with them.

What ever money you may be saving now may/should cost you later in service and batteries. If your saving anything. Batteries are good for so many charges. Brand doesn't matter on that fact.

I just checked the warranty on that dewalt drill. Its only 3 year tool and 1 year battery! Not good.
Makita is 3 years for all of it.
Dewalt 3/1.
Makita 3/3.
Milwaukee 5/3.
Ridgid is lifetime/lifetime. Battery must be sold with at least a charger to qualify for lsa.

Tool only costs are close to same.

I recently had my Milwaukee 1/2 inch impact switch go bad. Luckily it went just before the warranty expired. The switch acted contaminated and wasn't hardly variable and skipped most of the trigger pull. So was mostly full on or nothing.
When it needs service again, it will be replaced with ridgids new and stronger 1/2 inch impact. They didn't have a strong impact when I needed one. It beats Milwaukee by 100 foot pounds. Thought about upgrading to it, but I'm good for now.

My only concern is what are the UWO w/o the 8ah battery ..on the 5ah what are the UWO? ...my best guess is cut outs (like the Ridgid Octane ) with a smaller battery . So weight may be a concern for some . Some IS member may dip a toe in that pond and give us a real on ice review . I would still go Milwaukee ...as it is tried true and tested.

I tested the octane drill with ridgids non octane 4 amp battery and the battery cut out. The drill pulls too many amps under full load from a battery not designed to allow that many amps all at once. Like a deep cycle vs automotive design.
I have not tried the octane 6 amp as I don't have one. I have 3 9 amp octane batteries.  It should be using the updated battery management board on it and not cut out.

The non octane batteries only had to power 750 inch pounds as far as drills are concerned,  so it would use the older battery management board. This is what saves the battery from catastrophic failure. The octane1300 inch pounds is nearly double the draw.

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2020, 02:02 PM »
and then the Makita XPH07MB 1090 In Lbs.

I use a makita drill the XPH07Z model, same amount of in lbs as the model you shared. It works great however the only down fall is those makita batteries dont last long in the cold. I use 2 5amp OEM makita batteries and not the knockoffs. If I keep them warm they hold a charge longer but in the cold they just dont last long.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.