Author Topic: Ice Trolling: How To Locate Suspended Midday Crappie Off Submerged Points  (Read 6293 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Wanted to take a moment to share how I locate target fish by ice trolling when I first hit the ice, in this case we find suspended crappie.

Arriving at the lake around 1 P.M. the good early morning bite is long over, and we're right in the middle of the day. Using the Navionics App for Android ($10), I locate a promising looking flat leading to a submerged point, with deeper water nearby. Fish could still be cruising the flats, hanging somewhere off the point, or out in deeper water. Or it could be a bust and I need to move on and start the process all over! This is what "Ice Trolling" is all about, finding and locating active feeding fish as quick as possible.

With the Navionics app running, I first walk out a line from the flat down the nose of the submerged point giving me a nice trail to come back over with the Strike-Lite II auger. The line of Red X's are my first "troll" and this is an actual screen shot of the Navionics mobile app (I added the X's for the post).

After drilling out a series of holes, sometimes a dozen at a time, I then go back and with the Vexilar FL-20 and starting at the shallow end on the flat begin to fish. I only spend a minute or so at each hole. Dropping a heavy flashy jig down I pound the bottom and lift a few inches to see if I get any marks on the flasher. I'll fish it up through the water column and then let it fall back to the bottom raising a cloud of sediment. Fish it back up and if I'm marking nothing, I'll move to the next hole, rinse, repeat. This particular day the first troll showed nothing. On to the next troll...

The Blue X's are the start of my second "troll". Beginning near the top of the flat/point I first walk out a line following the contour lines of the mobile app, and then drill a line of holes following the saddle to deeper water. Using the same technique, fish out this line of holes the same way. All we're looking for is some activity down there and then we can fine tune our presentation to hook'em up! But again, not much going on, so on to the next "troll"...

I then drill a series of boxes out to each side of the saddle, the Pink X's still searching for either suspended fish, or possibly walleye hugging the bottom in deeper waters. It is in one of the pink holes we finally see this! Suspended fish!

For those of you who may not use a flasher, I have the Vexilar FL-20 set to a depth of 60' (since I'm not fishing over a  60' depth). The mark at the top of the flasher is the top of the ice, the mark to the left of the flasher is the bottom of the lake at right about 48' foot of water. And all those fantastic marks in the middle are crappie suspended between 20' and 30' foot over 48' foot of water that we located with the use of the Navionics mobile app, ice trolling and the Vex FL-20.

Had we not located these fish in the pink holes, we would of continued drilling out to the side into deeper water until we had covered the area thoroughly. Once we covered the water and structure here and found nothing, we would search out other points or structure in the lake and do the same thing. We happened to locate the fish this day in under an hour of ice trolling.

Now it's time to settle in and start taking advantage of this find!

And here is the reward for our little bit of preparation, scouting out a likely looking submerged point, finding nothing, drilling off to deeper water and to the sides of the saddle in order to locate the fish. Without the electronics we very well could have been sitting over a dry hole for quite some time not even getting a light bite. We would tell all our friends the fish were tight lipped or not even around anymore. But with the use of a good topo app, an efficient, light and easy to use power auger, and quality flashers, with a bit of work we can put decent fish on the ice. This crappie is laying next to an 8" auger hole, and his buddies are 20' below us ready to join him!

Hope this helps you put more crappie and other species into your bucket! If you have any questions fire away!

Tight lines to all Ice Shanty members!

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Great post and great way to show people how to locate fish. Love my Navionics app. It's priceless. Thanks for sharing and hopefully you can continue to post screen shots and how you located the fish on a given spot. It will for sure go along ways in teaching people how to use structure to locate fish.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Great tips for crappie. Thanks for sharing.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Great post and great way to show people how to locate fish. Love my Navionics app. It's priceless. Thanks for sharing and hopefully you can continue to post screen shots and how you located the fish on a given spot. It will for sure go along ways in teaching people how to use structure to locate fish.

X2   :thumbsup:

WS

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Great post locating fish with nav app! Takes discipline not to drill recklessly.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Paul D.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spot on !!! Your advise should help a few of the folks here that are struggling and need some direction and are willing to put in a little effort.  A group of 3 to 4 people and 2 augers makes this task a lot faster. If someone can follow the drillers with a flasher and relay depths and holes that are marking more can be drilled in the vicinity. . Once we pin point a  school , we try to drill all around it so if they move we can get the direction of travel quickly and stay on um. There are a few tricks for holding the schools under ya as well.   Over time patterns develop and the search area can be reduced based on the time of year and the conditions.

Offline FishingSpud

• Team IceShanty Regular
What an awesome post! This gives me some ideas to try the next time I go out. Thanks for taking the time to share such great information.

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for posting this. Hopefully next season I will have a power auger!

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
One of the best educational posts I have seen this season.  Thank you for sharing your logic combined with your tools.  You know your crappie pretty well!!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
I wish our lakes had a snow level closer to what is in the pictures.

WS

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
Nice! Great post, should help some people ;)
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
Fantastic presentation on these this technique. Great work, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:
Chasing Ice

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Appreciate all the kind words! Hope everyone has had a great season, learned a few new techniques and put some fish on the ice and their plates! I'm still getting out some and hope you are as well!

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
 :woot:
Here in Newengland, it looks like we will be ice fishing until June!
Stil have over 2 ft of ice, and the weather still hasn't turned yet
Chasing Ice

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Basically do the same thing. Only I like to use a camera. If I see lots of fish we fish. No fish we move. Great post!
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.