Author Topic: hot dog for bait on tipup  (Read 7837 times)

Offline snotsickles08

• IceShanty Rookie
hot dog for bait on tipup
« on: Jan 24, 2018, 01:04 PM »
just curious if anyone has tried a hot dog on a tipup with any luck? I read somewhere the other day that someone had 3 tipups out. 2 of them had shiners on them and the other one had a hot dog on it. the guy said that the tipup with the hot dog caught more pike 2 to 1 than the ones with the shiners. I have never tried it but I have opened up a pike before that had half a bratwurst in its stomach.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: hot dog for bait on tipup
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2018, 01:18 PM »
I always have them when fishing tip ups.  Suckers are spendy but seem to work better for me.  Hot dogs are cheap and I figure if I go through all my suckers it’s an inexpensive plan b.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2018, 05:57 PM »
They work fine as a backup for pike.  I've experimented with them and caught fish, including a couple of days where the only flag I got was on a hot dog.  They are only good as a replacement for dead bait though.  The smaller pike normally won't touch them (just like any dead bait) so you won't get as many flags.  I haven't used them in a few years though, since I take my son and usually one of his friends with me now.  They like more action, so I buy minnows for them and salt the leftovers for use as dead bait.

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2018, 09:37 PM »
The cheaper/greasiest dogs the better

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2018, 08:07 AM »
I have a friend who has been fishing with half his tipups baited with dead fish, and the other half baited with hot dogs, and has been catching about the same number of pike on each.  I don't have a good feel for how hot dogs work on lake trout yet, but on Flathead Lake in Montana, a favorite lake trout bait is Johnsonville maple syrup flavored sausages.

Hot dogs are definitely less expensive than buying bait fish.  In my area, smelt, northern pikeminnows, peamouths, and herring are over a buck apiece.  You can buy 24 hot dogs at Walmart for 98 cents, which is four cents each.

I carve a mouth and a tail on each hot dog, and add an eye made out of Twizzler licorice which you can peel into strings.  I run a small drill bit through the sausage, stick in a piece of the licorice, and cut it off.

Click on the thumbnails to enlarge them.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2018, 12:38 PM »
hot dogs look like a whale you would see on that show Gumby.     ???
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2018, 06:46 PM »
Well ya'll should try bacon while ya at it ...worked fer me on pan fish

icewagon

« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2018, 12:12 PM »
Ya and at the end of the day just pull em off the hook and grill em up as usual . :sick:

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:02 AM »
HAHAAAAA THATS GREAT!

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:24 AM »
 just bought a pack at my my last trip to store, here, bait is $.99-$1.25 ea., and that is okay, but these were $.98 for an 8 pack. I may individually wrap them and keep them frozen. I will still use live bait, but on those days where you can't keep flags down, I can't imagine these not producing

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:08 AM »
just bought a pack at my my last trip to store, here, bait is $.99-$1.25 ea., and that is okay, but these were $.98 for an 8 pack. I may individually wrap them and keep them frozen. I will still use live bait, but on those days where you can't keep flags down, I can't imagine these not producing

You could also try them in the opposite scenario, when nothing is biting on live bait.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2018, 06:38 AM »
 I have to say , I tried them yesterday, I was spearing, and have never seen so many pike, 21, at last count, ( and maybe a lot of them were the same fish). However, a trap to the left, and right of me 30 yds, with dogs, no flags

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2018, 07:49 AM »
I have to say , I tried them yesterday, I was spearing, and have never seen so many pike, 21, at last count, ( and maybe a lot of them were the same fish). However, a trap to the left, and right of me 30 yds, with dogs, no flags

That's the problem with using odd and dead baits.  The smaller pike normally won't touch them, so when someone is catching hammer handles all day on live bait and I only get one flag or none, they assume my bait doesn't work.  That's why I normally buy minnows when I'm fishing with kids.  They want action, not sitting around waiting for the big one to come along.

Offline cleveland

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:46 AM »
Yep! We would put hot dogs on a couple tip-ups to show the kids how aggressive pike can be. That would always start the discussion... what else should we try?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.