The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Auger trouble  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Gusher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Auger trouble
« on: Jan 11, 2004, 02:39 AM »
I've got a 8" Jiffy auger that's about 8 years old.  It starts fine but when I put it on full throttle it runs good about 5 seconds and then dies.  If I hit the primer every 5 seconds while it's running full boar it works great.  I've gotten it a new spark plug and new gas, but I'm not sure what I need to do as far as carberator adjustments.  By the way I did leave the old gas in it over the summer, but did drain and replace it with the proper oil/gas mix.  Is there an inline fuel filter or a filter in the gas tank that I might not know of?  Thanks for any tips you guys might have.

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
Re:Auger trouble
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2004, 04:13 AM »
SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A PROBLEM GETTING GAS TO FLOW CORRECTLY. I GOT A USED JIFFY ABOUT 5 YRS 8YRS AGO AND THIS AUGER WAS OLD THEN. THE PERSON WHO OWNED IT LEFT GAS IN IT. IT STARTED GREAT AND RAN FINE  WHEN I FIRST GOT IT. ONE DAY WHEN I WAS ON THE LAKE AND IT WAS ABOUT 1 DEGREE THE AUGER WOULD NOT START. SO I USED A HAND AUGER TO DRILL FIVE HOLES AND LEFT THIS AUGER IN THE SUN, WHEN I WAS DONE THE AUGER STARTED AND RAN FINE. WHEN I GOT HOME THAT DAY I TOOK THE FUEL LINE OFF AND FOUND I COULD ONLY SEE A SMALL PIN HOLE PIECE OF LIGHT THROUGH IT. I REPLACE THE LINE CLEANED ALL THE PORTS AND RAN HIGH OCTANE IN IT WITH SOME FUEL LINE CLEANER(SMALL AMOUNT VERY SMALL) NOW THIS AUGER STARTS ON FIRST OR SECOND PULL. SO TRY TAKING THE LINE OFF AND CLEANING ALL GAS PORTS YOU CAN. YOU WILL BE SUPRISED HOW GUNKED UP OLD GAS CAN MAKE YOUR LINES. GOOD LUCK.

Gillfisher-WI

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2004, 06:10 AM »
Sounds like the float is sticking and only allowing the gas to barely dribble in, thats why after it has sat for a period of time it will run for a bit. Take the carb apart and clean with choke ease or simular product. Then at the end of the season drain all of the gas, fuel stabilizers are good for about 6 months I personally have to wait longer than 6 months between ice seasons if your wait is 6 months or less use oil with the stabilizer in it, best bet is to drain it and then run the motor till the float bowl is empty - Good luck.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2004, 06:11 AM »
Probably varnish in you lines or carb. Take it apart and clean it, or have someone do it. Don't forget to stablize you fuel.

As a side note.....no need to run high octane fuel. Octane retards the fuels ability to ignite. The reason you run high octane in proformance cars is because the compression is higher in these motors and if you ran lower octane the gas/air mixture would ignite (just due to compression...like a desiel) before the piston is all the way up. This is called "spark knock" and can damage engines because the piston is not in the correct position when the fuel is ignited. With augers, you are better off to run low octane since these are low compression (relitive to car engines) machines, and since these are run in extreme cold conditions , you want the fuel to ignite easier.

JMO

shmeltz

« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2004, 09:35 AM »
you need a new diaprahm[sp] same thing happened to mine if it starts and dies but you can keep it running with the primer thats what it is very cheap fix let the board know if Im right

Gillles

« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2004, 09:51 AM »
Personally I wouldn't tinker with the carb. adjustments unless you know what your doing.  My advise would be to call jiffy they will refer you to the nearest techumsa service dealer in your area and they can easily adjust it if thats what it needs or figure out what is wrong with it.

fishinnutinwis

« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2004, 10:03 AM »
clean the carb and fuel line and gas tank....leave carb adjustment to tech.be very gentle with carb parts-not to bend any metal tabs etc on floats...but dont worry to much-its not rocket science...

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2004, 02:07 PM »
Don't get Mad
But for the last month there have been at least 10 posts here with people haveing trouble with their augers not running right. One thing to do is at the end of the ice season do not just stick these things in a corner and forget them all summer. Now is not the time to find out they do not run. Pull them out during the summer once in a while and start them. run it for a while then shut it off. Putting fresh gas through the carb will keep them from varnishing up. Your problem is probably due to varnish which happens when the gas and oil mix evaporates in the carb leaving only a oil resadue left to harden in the passages. Stabilzer in the fuel will help , but now you should take the carb appart and clean it thoughly inside and out. Like I said now is not the time to play with it when its cold. During summer when it is warm out clean it out. Essox is right about high test fuel the flash point is a little higher and it burns a little slower so it will burn all through the down stroke of the piston but once in a while put a little in it might help ot clean the carb a little.
Cold Feet

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2004, 08:15 PM »
i agree with shmeltz ypu need a new diaphragm .been there before  primer button ,whole deal!cheap to buy easy to change , youll be on your way :'( :'(

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2004, 01:03 PM »
Gusher, I have the same exact problem right now...I figure the carb is in need of cleaning, 4 years old and never been done.  Call 1-800-558-5402 and Techmseh will give you a list of all qualified people in your are to clean the carb.  I just dropped mine off this morning.  I DON'T mess with carbs, especially the tiny ones, too many small parts to break/lose...hope this helps..
Mike
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline Gusher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Auger trouble
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2004, 03:09 PM »
Smeltz was right it was the diaphragm.  Auger is running great again.  You could see where the gas was leaking out on one edge of the diaphram.  Thanks for the tip, your the man.

Offline Sub Zero

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
Re: Auger trouble
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2004, 11:39 AM »
Don't forget to check the easy stuff first. Like the Gas cap vent, that one will get you all the time!!!!!!! I hate to believe you have a bad diaphram, the auger isn't really that old, let's face it you really don't use them as much as other power equipment like weed wackers and lawn mowers.
People think we're crazy but we know better!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.