The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Proper gas for small engines!  (Read 142504 times)

Offline TightlineMT

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Proper gas for small engines!
« Reply #180 on: Jan 13, 2013, 11:18 PM »
  I would say that you can run that extra stuff you have.  Then do the amsoil, no sense in wasting it.  you may want to change the plug when you switch..  make sure you add Seafoam and some Stabil (double dose) or Amsoil quickshot fuel system cleaner and stabilizer.  you will not be disappointed.  especially since you will then be able to use one mix for every 2 stroke you own!!
Looks like I have a couple of the little 2.6 oz bottles of Ardisam 2 cycle Viper oil that I will be burning first, then to the Saber. If I am not mistaken, Ardisam owns Eskimo. Thanks.

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!!!!!!!
« Reply #181 on: Jan 24, 2013, 10:53 AM »
I purchased a gently use Strikemaster Lazer Mag that really did not run that hot. Calls for a 24:1 mix. When I got it, you should have seen the oil mix coming out of the muffler and the smoke it was bellowing.
I changed that gas and put in a 80:1 mix of Saber/Seafoam/Stabil and fresh fuel. Also changed the plug once I had the new fuel mix in and there is a noticable difference on the color
The thing now runs awesome and start very nice. I am now a fan of the saber.
Have ran it in others without issue but for some reason it just seems that the motor (tecumseh) runs best on the mix.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #182 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:42 PM »
I purchased a gently use Strikemaster Lazer Mag that really did not run that hot. Calls for a 24:1 mix. When I got it, you should have seen the oil mix coming out of the muffler and the smoke it was bellowing.
I changed that gas and put in a 80:1 mix of Saber/Seafoam/Stabil and fresh fuel. Also changed the plug once I had the new fuel mix in and there is a noticable difference on the color
The thing now runs awesome and start very nice. I am now a fan of the saber.
Have ran it in others without issue but for some reason it just seems that the motor (tecumseh) runs best on the mix.
another happy customer... tell your friends!!!  Now you have 1 mix for all your 2 strokes!!
 ;D

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #183 on: Feb 12, 2013, 02:18 PM »
I have been mixing my gas with Amsoil and never had a problem with starting and running on the ice. I have a old friend that has a Jiffy and he is pulling his to try and start it and he is wore out . I told him Amsoil baby

Offline Bull Giller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #184 on: Mar 08, 2013, 10:14 PM »
Amsoil Saber 50:1
Retired full-time Mille Lacs Guide now chasing my favorite panfish.
Honda Foreman 450ES
Polaris 600 Indy XCR 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #185 on: Mar 08, 2013, 11:54 PM »
Amsoil Saber 50:1

Would you care to tell us your reason why such a rich ratio is needed?    ;)2

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #186 on: Mar 09, 2013, 07:35 AM »
Would you care to tell us your reason why such a rich ratio is needed?    ;)2
yeah... mine ends up being about 80:1 then I add seafoam and AMSOIL quickshot.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #187 on: Mar 12, 2013, 05:02 PM »
I am now using vp fuels 50:1 Pre mixed 94 octane.  No ethananol and 2 year shelf life.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #189 on: Nov 02, 2013, 07:37 PM »
As we've been saying all along..... ::)  Good post, Sailor.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #190 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:30 PM »
don't use gas with ANY ethanol in it.Period........
born to fish---forced to work

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #191 on: Nov 02, 2013, 10:58 PM »
I am lucky the nearest gas I can buy is the only Non-Ethanol gas with in 200 Plus miles of me. My Post office doubles as a Petroleum Store selling gas and Oil products to Farmers. It is less then 1/2 Mile away. So when I fill up the Truck I also fill up the tank  I use on the Lawn Mower. I usually buy Mid grade at 87 Octane.  So this is what I use during Ice fishing season as well.
<===Lefty===

Offline PowerHour

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #192 on: Nov 03, 2013, 12:03 AM »
I been wondering this myself. I work at a Airport, anybody running 100LL? People come in and get it for small engines but I'm not risking my strikemaster. Info please ?
REEL FISHERMAN DO IT ON THE ICE

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #193 on: Nov 03, 2013, 12:19 AM »
Here you go PowerHour. Good luck.       Let us know if this info is still valid.  Thanx.

Columbus    HYVEE    87    Hy Vee Gas [402-563-0802]    3012 23rd St             ;)2

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #194 on: Nov 03, 2013, 12:31 AM »
There's no such thing as NON-ETHANOL gas around here (Long Island, NY), so I'm just stuck and hoping for the best.  Now our S.O.B. government wants to INCREASE  the Ethanol to 15%.  Why don't they just take an axe to my equipment and save me the aggravation???

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #195 on: Nov 03, 2013, 01:59 AM »
Oldsailor thank you for posting the link. PowerHour there was a member from New Hampshire user name of Surf Lizard who started a thread a few years back about using what he called AV gas in his auger.
 Someone also posted on here about a device called the Mix Mizer it looks like the flavor injectors used to marinate meats. It has scales on each side one in metric the other in English. The scales show you how much oil to withdraw from a bottle to make the various gas/oil mixture ratios by U.S. pint or quart or metric half and full liter.The U.S. ratios shown range from16 to 1 up to 100 to1 . I know not everyone has quick access to gas stations so mixing small batches of 2 cycle mixture may not be an option for everyone. The only power equipment I currently own that uses 2 cycle mixture is a Toro snow blower . My driveway is small only 30 feet long.Also I reside in a suburban town near it's business center so have multiple gas stations with in ten miles of my home.
  Please someone refresh my memory as to why ethanol was first added to gasoline. I believe it does what lead and then mtbe once were used to do and provides more oxygen and boosts the octane of gasoline.  I will if I still have the product info. that came with the Mix Mizer so anyone interested can try to find the item. I purchased mine at Walmart.
Steve

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #196 on: Nov 03, 2013, 05:54 AM »
Lowes and home depot both sell tru fuel . Non ethanol fuel in cans ,(about $6:00 a quart). Expensive but I just burned up my chain saw with crap ethenal fuel , not gonna risk auger any more. We will see. :whistle:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #197 on: Nov 03, 2013, 06:23 AM »

i'm lucky we now have stations close by that carrie non E 91 octane and everything I own gets it and you can see a big difference

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #198 on: Nov 03, 2013, 07:25 AM »
  (Quote)  (Please someone refresh my memory as to why ethanol was first added to gasoline. I believe it does what lead and then mtbe once were used to do and provides more oxygen and boosts the octane of gasoline. )
Steve

As stated, Ethanol has nothing to do with octane rating. It is an additive. Ethanol was first developed and used as a renewable energy source during the early gas crisis; and developed to be used as a Biofuel additive, and because it is a renewable energy source. Also, subsidies paid to certain groups to produce ethanol turned into a political gambit forcing it upon the American public, in the race to compete with Brazil's almost total usage of Ethanol as a motor fuel. As stated, it is nothing but grain alcohol which destroys anything it is put into.

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #199 on: Nov 03, 2013, 08:08 AM »
don't use gas with ANY ethanol in it.Period........

Rlvb, we can't (or shouldn't be able to) get any gas in sd that doesn't have ethonal in it anymore.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #200 on: Nov 03, 2013, 09:00 AM »
I have sold a product for three years made by VP Racing fuels.  It is called SEF 94 and it was specifically designed for use in small engines that may sit for a year between uses.  Originally formulated for emergency crew tools, generators, jaws of life etc.

NO ethanol, 94 octane and premixed in 40:1, 50:1 and straight gas. Quarts, Gallons, and larger.  The quarts are the best thing for the ice angler as you can keep a can with you at all times.

Indefinite shelf life in un-opened can, recommended to use within 2 years once opened.  You will not believe the difference in starting, running and cleaning out old, poor running engines.  In fact there is a new product this year called "Fix It Fuel".  If you have any small 2 or 4 stroke engine that is not running due to a fuel related issue, it will FIX IT!

There are several threads here on Ice Shanty you can search for more info, success stories etc.  Just search "SEF 94".  I am in Montana and can arrange for shipping or delivery this winter to SD, MN, WI.  I will be at the ST Paul Ice show, the Wasau Ice Show and at the Ice Duels tournaments in the afore mentioned states.  PM me for more info.

It is the ONLY fuel I and many, many others run in our augers, weedeaters, chain saws, etc.

Mike
www.iceduels.com
www.howesfishing.com
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #201 on: Nov 03, 2013, 09:10 AM »
wreaks havoc on small engine lubricity     

Sea Foam seems to help offset the issue when non-ethanol isn't available
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #202 on: Nov 03, 2013, 09:50 AM »
There's no such thing as NON-ETHANOL gas around here (Long Island, NY), so I'm just stuck and hoping for the best.  Now our S.O.B. government wants to INCREASE  the Ethanol to 15%.  Why don't they just take an axe to my equipment and save me the aggravation???
You may need drive a few miles to find it, but NY has a few outlets for Pure-gas.     ;)2

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NY

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #203 on: Nov 03, 2013, 09:55 AM »
Rlvb, we can't (or shouldn't be able to) get any gas in sd that doesn't have ethonal in it anymore.
Have you tried here scmelik ?         Brookings    BP    87 91    Bp [605-692-6880]    2420 6th St

;)2

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #204 on: Nov 03, 2013, 09:56 AM »
I think we should all fire up our augers and do a march on Washington... :woot:

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #205 on: Nov 03, 2013, 10:15 AM »
Good plan Reb, use a rich mix and smoke 'em out.   :roflmao:

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #206 on: Nov 03, 2013, 10:43 AM »
I lost my weed whacker and now hav e issues with my gas auger  because of using gas with ethanol in it. Hopefully they can fix the auger.
Fish on!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #207 on: Nov 03, 2013, 10:52 AM »
I lost my weed whacker and now hav e issues with my gas auger  because of using gas with ethanol in it. Hopefully they can fix the auger.
Have you tried here, Greg2ha ?

Fort Wayne    COUNTRYMARK    91    Ag Plus [260-471-4017]    1105 Production Rd

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #208 on: Nov 03, 2013, 11:00 AM »
From pure-gas.org

Alaska: all gasoline is ethanol-free.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #209 on: Nov 03, 2013, 11:04 AM »
Have you tried here scmelik ?         Brookings    BP    87 91    Bp [605-692-6880]    2420 6th St

;)2

Not sure where this info came from but it's dated. Every gas station in brookings is running a minimum of 10% ethanol in all blends

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.