The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 3D printed synthetic auger flight?  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
3D printed synthetic auger flight?
« on: Feb 05, 2021, 02:12 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone new of a file for an ice auger flight for a 3D printer....

I was thinking about using my nils head & putting it on an aluminum pipe for the shaft then printing some flights for it...basicly making a Synthetic nils auger.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: 3D printed synthetic auger flight?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2021, 02:33 PM »
I think I would still want a steel shaft, I feel with the high end drills you could probably twist an alum one to a pretzel if your bit hung up in the hole at full speed. Just me being cautious I guess. Steel shaft with small "wings" welded onto it, so you can rivet on the synthetic flights could be a winner. Easy to replace broken flight sections and wouldnt be too hard to build I would think.

BTW just saw you on the catfish forum  ;)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2021, 04:16 PM »
I think I would still want a steel shaft, I feel with the high end drills you could probably twist an alum one to a pretzel if your bit hung up in the hole at full speed. Just me being cautious I guess. Steel shaft with small "wings" welded onto it, so you can rivet on the synthetic flights could be a winner. Easy to replace broken flight sections and wouldnt be too hard to build I would think.

BTW just saw you on the catfish forum  ;)

I was on there years ago....and some moderator kicked me off and band me because I wouldn't put my true full name on and used my handle.....I was like **censored**? It is a fourm on the Internet.

I've got all the fear to go......just haven't got that big flat head yet.

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2021, 04:45 PM »
Lol yeah i saw both you guys on the catfish forum.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2021, 04:54 PM »
Lol yeah i saw both you guys on the catfish forum.

Dang it. Who are you on there?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2021, 04:59 PM »
I was on there years ago....and some moderator kicked me off and band me because I wouldn't put my true full name on and used my handle.....I was like **censored**? It is a fourm on the Internet.

I've got all the fear to go......just haven't got that big flat head yet.

I thought I remembered you there, but wasn't sure. Yeah there was some weird rules where you needed your actual name and a picture of you holding a catfish or some crap.... never seen that anywhere else. Whatever lol, I just like the regulars there.. good group of guys. Try those Docs worms I sent you a link to, my buddy swears by them and there's times he just knocks the snot out of me and my tubes. I tried the normal soft plastic worms trick before, it didnt end up working too well. Made in Iowa too.

You guys have good flathead fishing over there? We just have small fish for the most part, 10-30's.
EYECONICFISHING

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2021, 05:03 PM »
Dang it. Who are you on there?
kzoo catman

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2021, 09:40 AM »
I would think you'd have to start printing in July.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2021, 01:11 PM »
I would think you'd have to start printing in July.

I looked....I think it maybe be a 15-20hr print for a flight.....3-4 flights.....I think in a week you'd have it all done to put together.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2021, 10:25 AM »
I was a mechanical engineer for my entire career, and admittedly am not up with the latest in 3D printing technology, but I would be shocked if a printed flight would hold up to the cold temperature impact and stress of this application. Even a molded part I would be very concerned about the design of the mold to avoid sharp edges or knit lines which would start cracks and cause it to fail over time. With 3D printing, you have a knit line between every layer of plastic, and that will reduce the strength of the part. I only got a plastic flighted bit recently, but not is clear the tips of the flights flex to prevent them binding on the edge of the hole.
Not trying to throw cold water on something I have never tried, but have you considered trying to get replacement parts from one of the manufacturers, and adapting them to a Nils head? That might be simpler, and you would get a molded part from a low temp impact resistant plastic.
If you are trying to design the ultimate hot rod auger head, there was a thread where a guy cut off all but 2 or 3 flights in addition to making an aluminum shaft. He found it reduced the drag of the flights on the side of the hole, and as long as you have enough to lift the bottom chips, the chips below push the rest up out of the hole. If you keep it spinning as you lift the bit out, you can clear the hole without a series of flights all the way to the surface.
The Nils is an amazing cutting head, and if you could pair it with an ultralight shaft and flighting system, I would be jealous!

:tipup:

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2021, 10:41 AM »
You can buy the flights and shaft from a pistol bit, which I think would be a good start to your project:

:tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.