The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Honest Strikemaster 40v 8 inch auger review.  (Read 3823 times)

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Honest Strikemaster 40v 8 inch auger review.
« on: Feb 01, 2021, 05:05 PM »
       Let me start by saying I am in no way affiliated with Strikemaster in any way.

I bought a Strikemaster 40 volt 8 inch auger for this season back in December. I used it on several small lakes but they all had 4 inches of clear ice and it cut through them like butter. All trips were when the temperature was in the 20's and only about an inch of snow on the ice.  This weekend I got to really put the auger through its paces.
      I went to a lake in the Adirondacks and arrived at 6 am, -16 degrees farenheiht.  There was about 5 inches of snow over a foot of ice.  The best was the lights that come on when you drill. Very helpful in the dark.  I cut 6 holes for my tip ups and then a dozen holes for jigging around those.  It cut through perfectly with no hesitation whatsoever. I didn't even have to put any downward force, the auger just drilled through like a hot knife through butter. 
      I then left the auger battery on purpose in the subzero weather to see how it would perform after sitting a few hours.  I then drilled a few more holes no problem. I did encounter one spot that I drilled holes that were ice with a layer of slush in between. It did slow a little but did not stop or bog down. 
      After being on the ice all day and drilling about 40 holes, the battery indicator was showing I still had 3/4 of battery life left. Overall very satisfied and impressed with the auger. I highly recommend it.

New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Honest Strikemaster 40v 8 inch auger review.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2021, 01:12 AM »
Great review, thanks!

I just got my 40V 10" not long ago.  I "think" i like it, but need another trip to confirm.  My first time out, I was very much impressed, as the thing cut like butter like you said.  Well, my last time out, it was jamming up midway through each hole.  Now, I was augering through previously drilled holes that froze back over (it was a shanty we rented).  So, maybe their were ice pockets or whatver, causing it to jam.  Not sure.  But it was a real pain.  Very frustrating.  I drilled a couple holes outside the shanty where nothing was drilled before and same thing happened. 

My trip next weekend will give me a better idea.  I can't imagine this thing doesnt cut through that ice considering EVERYONE has great luck with theirs.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2021, 11:28 AM »
If it jams or binds like that, just pick it up a little and set it down with little to no pressure. Let the weight of the auger do the work. I found that worked best when that happened in a few holes for me.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2021, 12:43 PM »
If it jams or binds like that, just pick it up a little and set it down with little to no pressure. Let the weight of the auger do the work. I found that worked best when that happened in a few holes for me.

That’s good to know, thank u!

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2021, 03:29 PM »
Nice review.  I went with 24v for the weight so my daughter can handle easier happy in with it so far in nny too.   Wish the 40v would have come with the lite-flite option.
Just enjoying life

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2021, 03:53 PM »
Dont forget reverse flushing hole, and makes picking it back up drier and easier. Love mine
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2021, 05:15 PM »
Great review, thanks!

I just got my 40V 10" not long ago.  I "think" i like it, but need another trip to confirm.  My first time out, I was very much impressed, as the thing cut like butter like you said.  Well, my last time out, it was jamming up midway through each hole.  Now, I was augering through previously drilled holes that froze back over (it was a shanty we rented).  So, maybe their were ice pockets or whatver, causing it to jam.  Not sure.  But it was a real pain.  Very frustrating.  I drilled a couple holes outside the shanty where nothing was drilled before and same thing happened. 

My trip next weekend will give me a better idea.  I can't imagine this thing doesnt cut through that ice considering EVERYONE has great luck with theirs.

The 40 is not the best for re-drilling holes.  When you go out the next time, concentrate on keeping the safety switch completely pressed down, if it is unintentionally let off the slightest it will act like what you mentioned.  Let us know if that helps, might be good info for the next guy.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2021, 08:39 AM »
I used the strikemaster on a lake yesterday that had 16 inches of ice, 4 inches of slush, and a foot of snow. No problems cutting through whatsoever.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2021, 01:39 PM »
The 40 is not the best for re-drilling holes.  When you go out the next time, concentrate on keeping the safety switch completely pressed down, if it is unintentionally let off the slightest it will act like what you mentioned.  Let us know if that helps, might be good info for the next guy.

I used my 40v for 2 season, I never had an issue opening old holes??

granted i didn't open a ton of them, I just dont remember them being an issue, i really cannot think of any negative issues I had when I used it other than the weight compared to a drill setup

I also haven't had any issue opening old holes with the lite flite
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2021, 04:49 PM »
I used my 40v for 2 season, I never had an issue opening old holes??

granted i didn't open a ton of them, I just dont remember them being an issue, i really cannot think of any negative issues I had when I used it other than the weight compared to a drill setup

I also haven't had any issue opening old holes with the lite flite

I have a couple of permanent shacks, can only re-open holes so many times with the Strikemaster 40 before it can't do it anymore.  I use a K-drill auger on a Milwaukee drill to re-open the holes, it works fine in the same hole for months.  I know others that also have problems re-opening holes with the 40.  I really like the auger, it just doesn't work well for that application.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2021, 12:53 PM »
I have a couple of permanent shacks, can only re-open holes so many times with the Strikemaster 40 before it can't do it anymore.  I use a K-drill auger on a Milwaukee drill to re-open the holes, it works fine in the same hole for months.  I know others that also have problems re-opening holes with the 40.  I really like the auger, it just doesn't work well for that application.

Gotcha.

Ill have to try it and see if i have smiliar issues.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.