The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ion 10” composite on strikemaster gas  (Read 1924 times)

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
Ion 10” composite on strikemaster gas
« on: Jan 29, 2021, 12:07 PM »
Is the ion 10” composite auger compatible with a SM gas powerhead?   Which adapter?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Ion 10” composite on strikemaster gas
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2021, 12:12 PM »
Strikemaster powerhead output shaft dia is 22mm ..the ION composite input shaft dia is 18mm..Eskimo has an adapter on their site ..may also be a retailer item as well. Add you location to your profile ..could be one nearby.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2021, 05:55 PM »
i dont see why not. take a look at the eskimo adapter and have someone with a lathe make you one but with a 5/16s bolt hole vs eskimoes 3/8s. I mix and match eskimo and strikemaster flights all the time the only difference is the bolt. Of course you need that adapter.

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2021, 03:06 PM »
the eskimo pistol is a hex shaft as well exact same thing, although it comes with an adapter on top to attach it to a drill. and i see they sell an adapter to attach my pistol to a power auger, the first adapter gets removed and this other one installed. Any machine shop could make you any adapter you want, better yet a buddy with a lathe will do it for a case of beer.

I looked at an extension for my pistol yesterday hanging right by the ion g2 extensions. pretty sure both had round male shafts coming out the bottom.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2021, 04:41 PM »
ION and the Pistol Bit both have 18mm round input shafts ..the power head output shaft on the StrikeMastet is 22mm..if some wanted to use an ION bit vua a cordless drill ..Strikemaster NDA-3 will work ..The ION and Pistol Bit both have hexagonal outer shaft ..but the insert is round.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2021, 05:12 PM »
ION and the Pistol Bit both have 18mm round input shafts ..the power head output shaft on the StrikeMastet is 22mm..if some wanted to use an ION bit vua a cordless drill ..Strikemaster NDA-3 will work ..The ION and Pistol Bit both have hexagonal outer shaft ..but the insert is round.

As I just discovered last week, the current model of the NDA-3 (it's about an inch longer in the 22mm section than what's pictured on the Strikemaster website) will only work with the Ion bits with a slight modification.  Ion uses a 1/4-20 x 1" bolt, but the hole through the 18mm section of the NDA-3 is only 6mm.

Therefore, the hole in the NDA-3 needs to be opened up slightly, about 0.015" (or 1/64"). The current NDA-3 is also hardened (fortunately and unfortunately), so you can't just use any old drill bit, it simply won't cut the NDA-3.  Carbide (or carbide-tipped) is essentially required, and will make short work of it. In a pinch, a person could use an inexpensive 1/4" masonry bit from any big box store, just go slowly and use oil.

ETA picture:

Tight lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.