The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ion 10 composite on strikemaster gas  (Read 380 times)

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
Ion 10 composite on strikemaster gas
« on: Jan 29, 2021, 12:07 PM »
Is the ion 10 composite auger compatible with a SM gas powerhead?   Which adapter?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Ion 10 composite on strikemaster gas
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2021, 12:12 PM »
Strikemaster powerhead output shaft dia is 22mm ..the ION composite input shaft dia is 18mm..Eskimo has an adapter on their site ..may also be a retailer item as well. Add you location to your profile ..could be one nearby.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Van Noord

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2021, 11:40 PM »
Not compatible

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2021, 05:55 PM »
i dont see why not. take a look at the eskimo adapter and have someone with a lathe make you one but with a 5/16s bolt hole vs eskimoes 3/8s. I mix and match eskimo and strikemaster flights all the time the only difference is the bolt. Of course you need that adapter.

Offline Van Noord

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2021, 08:57 AM »
i dont see why not. take a look at the eskimo adapter and have someone with a lathe make you one but with a 5/16s bolt hole vs eskimoes 3/8s. I mix and match eskimo and strikemaster flights all the time the only difference is the bolt. Of course you need that adapter.
Because although Eskimo makes the Ion flight as well, it's a complete different design (hex) and different shaft diameter.

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2021, 03:06 PM »
the eskimo pistol is a hex shaft as well exact same thing, although it comes with an adapter on top to attach it to a drill. and i see they sell an adapter to attach my pistol to a power auger, the first adapter gets removed and this other one installed. Any machine shop could make you any adapter you want, better yet a buddy with a lathe will do it for a case of beer.

I looked at an extension for my pistol yesterday hanging right by the ion g2 extensions. pretty sure both had round male shafts coming out the bottom.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2021, 04:41 PM »
ION and the Pistol Bit both have 18mm round input shafts ..the power head output shaft on the StrikeMastet is 22mm..if some wanted to use an ION bit vua a cordless drill ..Strikemaster NDA-3 will work ..The ION and Pistol Bit both have hexagonal outer shaft ..but the insert is round.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2021, 05:12 PM »
ION and the Pistol Bit both have 18mm round input shafts ..the power head output shaft on the StrikeMastet is 22mm..if some wanted to use an ION bit vua a cordless drill ..Strikemaster NDA-3 will work ..The ION and Pistol Bit both have hexagonal outer shaft ..but the insert is round.

As I just discovered last week, the current model of the NDA-3 (it's about an inch longer in the 22mm section than what's pictured on the Strikemaster website) will only work with the Ion bits with a slight modification.  Ion uses a 1/4-20 x 1" bolt, but the hole through the 18mm section of the NDA-3 is only 6mm.

Therefore, the hole in the NDA-3 needs to be opened up slightly, about 0.015" (or 1/64"). The current NDA-3 is also hardened (fortunately and unfortunately), so you can't just use any old drill bit, it simply won't cut the NDA-3.  Carbide (or carbide-tipped) is essentially required, and will make short work of it. In a pinch, a person could use an inexpensive 1/4" masonry bit from any big box store, just go slowly and use oil.

ETA picture:

Tight lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.