Author Topic: Cousins?  (Read 1838 times)

Offline five fathoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cousins?
« on: Jan 16, 2018, 09:11 PM »
  Looking back, it has dawned on me that practically all the bass of 18" or better that I have landed on a jig rod through the ice have been victims of panfish lures and were caught incidentally while targeting panfish. More than once, I have been hard pressed to tame a beast of a fish on wimpy gear, and always small spoons and ice jigs have been responsible. I have noticed that this tends to happen in shallower water. While I have used larger and more obnoxious lures, I can't recall them ever producing nicer bass.
  I suppose I could draw all sorts of conclusions from this, though most of them would probably be erroneous.
  Could it be that bass are sluggish in the winter, and seek small and infrequent meals? That doesn't gibe with the philosophy endorsed by the bass assassins in my area, who advocate large live bait for the undoing of the hawgs they catch on tip-ups.
  Is it simply a result of probability? If panfish and bass share the same wintering areas, it would stand to reason that sooner or later, if a bass were present, it would chow down on a small morsel.
  Could it be because bass and sunfish are more alike than different? What works for one member of the family may translate reasonably well  up or down the scale. Bass are equipped with larger mouths and therefore more piscivorous , but I think in behavior and habitat and temperature preferences they are not far removed.
 What have your experiences been with bass through the ice? How do you target bass while jigging?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Cousins?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2018, 02:44 AM »
Largemouth bass and smallmouth bass are actually panfish
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:16 AM »
Largemouth bass and smallmouth bass are actually panfish

Yep. Sunfish on steroids.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline five fathoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:25 PM »
 I guess my wordiness confused the issue. Yes, black bass and sunfish are both members of the Centrarchids. That's a fact that can be easily verified.
 What I'm left wondering is why I caught those fish the way I did. Why would all the largest bass I've caught jigging  have been duped by lures much smaller than any I would have intentionally selected for bass? I haven't caught dozens of them, but it's happened enough times that I can't attribute it to chance. There may be a pattern here.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:33 PM »
Plain ole dumb luck. Got a bass on my wall that ate a ten inch smelt. Seen bass on the camera eye up almost anything they seem to be pretty curious. I'd say you probably fish more with small jigs so you catch more of them on small jigs

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:48 PM »
#1 lure selection should be match the hatch.  If you've got that lure...all fish that feeds on that will bite it.

Fish do have preference in forage too.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline five fathoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:58 AM »
 Thanks to all who replied. Your input is appreciated.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2018, 01:49 PM »
Might be that the bass are in the same area and notice the feeding activity and it is a crime of opportunity? Some of the largest bass I have seen on the ic3 were caught on jigs in the 1/32 range. Go figure!
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.