The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Search For Early Ice - Post Conditions Here for Now  (Read 15859 times)

Offline Slappy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gettin' jiggy with it!
Re: Search For Early Ice - Post Conditions Here for Now
« Reply #60 on: Dec 10, 2006, 09:12 AM »
In case anyone is interested, I've got ice on my pond. It's heavily stocked with four Koa. Flasher shows there hanging around the bottom.  ;D

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Dec 10, 2006, 12:48 PM »
No problem 1mofish I will keep an eye out on it for you all.  Sure thing I would like to hook up and chat, possibly we can even get camotim to come along that is if we can get him up before noon.

Hey I fish some skinny ice to and I still get the you did what from people, so no insults intended.  I just do knot want to see a new or inexperienced person hit the other side because of these threads or a thread that I posted.

I have hit the other side twice from thinking a know it all.  And I still think that way but some skull are thicker than others, right Doc?  Once beaver trapping and the other fishing last ice, the water is so cold it actually hurts.  It is a hole new realm you may think you can.  But your really can not understand or put it into perspective until it happens.  You can get yourself into some real trouble even in shallow water.  It was pretty dang close to being all over beaver trapping and that was shallow water.  “But hey if you are going to be stupid you got to be tough”

I was at Arthur last year at 5PM and there was open water in section of the lake other sections had 3 inches on it.  I never put a thread up about it because I did not want to see some newbie get hurt (There is nothing wrong with being new we all started out there).  So I fished it the next morning the section that was open had ice over it and this was a BIG section.  Never the less two people were out there walk right through the middle of it.  You have to know what’s going on with the body of water you are fishing if you are fishing skinny ice.

Snapper           

Offline Travis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Bait?
« Reply #62 on: Dec 10, 2006, 03:24 PM »
I am hiiting the ice after church, 2pm will post results. 25 degrees as of now with snow still on the ground.
Travis there were areas with no snow on that may have looked wet if you did not go out on the ice.

Fished today from 10:30 and left a little after 3.  No fish, didn't want to move around too much.  Ice was around 3" mostly, but some spots around 2"-2 1/2". 1 other person was there when i arrived, and 2 more showed later.  Nice day to be out.
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day.  But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Dec 10, 2006, 03:38 PM »
ive got a couple inches here in northern bucks county at lake towhee the edges are soft 1-1/12 inches thicker towards the middle if you can believe that. and by the way has anyone been up to lake jean yet to see how it is?

Offline feasanthunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 10, 2006, 03:42 PM »
Travis, I would of been more sociable, but I didn't want to get to close ;D no fish for me either but it sure was a nice day
are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle "Dixie"?

Offline pletch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 10, 2006, 05:10 PM »
MOFISH, eric and i hit it today and we will be there tomorrow but probably only half a day if the weather gets too warm.
ice is your friend

Offline pletch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 10, 2006, 05:43 PM »
Travis, was that you that was fishing down at the breast?
ice is your friend

Offline Travis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Bait?
« Reply #67 on: Dec 10, 2006, 05:47 PM »
Travis, I would of been more sociable, but I didn't want to get to close ;D no fish for me either but it sure was a nice day
Yeah, i know the feeling.  I tried to keep my distance.  Maybe we can all meet up after the ice is solid.
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day.  But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline iceintioga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 10, 2006, 05:49 PM »
Went by Hills Creek Lake (Tioga County) this morning.
It was locked up from the shallow end to the beach, and about half froze from there to the dam.

Won't be long now, that is, if we don't get a lot of sunny days in the forties.....:-(

Ice in T....

Offline Travis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Bait?
« Reply #69 on: Dec 10, 2006, 05:51 PM »
Travis, was that you that was fishing down at the breast?
Yeah, first I drilled a line straight out from the launch.( the holes you guys were at), got to around 5' deep and didn't wanna go any further, then went down there and managed 6ft of water on 3 inches.  I didn't know if that was you or not (you must have been the one with your back to the shore), and i didn't wanna crowd up on that ice.  It looked like you already had your hands full when that kid was skating around you.  :blink:

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Dec 10, 2006, 06:01 PM »
as my first port i'd jsut like to say hey to everyone.. I'm probably gonan check Hills Creek, Nessmuck, and Hamilton monday or tuesday since iceintioga said Hills had a little ice already..btw i got to school at Mansfield University and if anyone is looking for an ice partner for mid January til ice out, i'd be available...only have class 2 days a week in the spring :)
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #71 on: Dec 10, 2006, 09:13 PM »
In case anyone is interested, I've got ice on my pond. It's heavily stocked with four Koa. Flasher shows there hanging around the bottom.  ;D
i hear they taste like chicken yum yum   mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Dec 10, 2006, 09:16 PM »
MOFISH, eric and i hit it today and we will be there tomorrow but probably only half a day if the weather gets too warm.
i just might come down for a look see  need to take my chubs for a ride    mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #73 on: Dec 11, 2006, 07:29 AM »
No one here called me stupid except me and I think i have a right to do so.

Doc, yer right.  I don't think anyone can argue over that one ;D
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:11 AM »
Totally agree, Safety first.  I just read a thread stating that there was skim ice on Wilhelm   ???  ???  I don't see how that is possible yet.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for some (safe) ice!!  But I don't see any around here for some time yet.  Temperatures going up again next week.  That isn't going to stop me from fishing though, I have no problem fishing from shore or from the boat.  As was stated by Fat Boy , there are some great fishing opportunities out there even with out the ice.
some peoples cups are half full some half empty   mofish

Offline ICEMASTER59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Dec 11, 2006, 11:36 AM »
as my first port i'd jsut like to say hey to everyone.. I'm probably gonan check Hills Creek, Nessmuck, and Hamilton monday or tuesday since iceintioga said Hills had a little ice already..btw i got to school at Mansfield University and if anyone is looking for an ice partner for mid January til ice out, i'd be available...only have class 2 days a week in the spring :)
hey primepin65, my son goes to Mansfield also,hes a fisheries major and icefishes all those lakes you mentioned.should make several trips up myself---good luck and be careful!!

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Dec 11, 2006, 12:44 PM »
hows it going Chuck Sr, this is shawn your son is one of my best friends and i've fished R.V, and Hamilton with you... hahahah

UPDATE: as of 3:30pm, Hills Creek was 2/3rds covered in ice with about 1.5" in the spot i checked...also i went to the park office and got an old map of the contours of the lake (depth and channels) and i might be able to send it to people if anyone is interested..
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Dec 11, 2006, 07:09 PM »
met pletch today needed to find out where he lived :-[ great guy had a pike on before we could shake hands. if no ice up here will see ya saturday maybe     mofish

Offline velcro29

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish ON!!!
« Reply #78 on: Dec 11, 2006, 07:47 PM »
Maybe Harbor acres will have enough ice. Its a small lake. If I get home in time I will check it out and let you know

I'm from Franklin Pa.  What are some of your favorite local ponds?  My fav's  are Wilhelm, Khale and Tionesta   
[]

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Dec 11, 2006, 07:53 PM »
moraine  wilhelm moraine in that order i hear sugar lake is good. have fished kahle big perch was up your way last week  alot lakes within an hour of you.   maybe see you up there mofish

Offline velcro29

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish ON!!!
« Reply #80 on: Dec 11, 2006, 08:10 PM »
Is there any ice reports around Crawford or Venango County.  I haven't been out to Lake Wilhelm yet but I'm guessing no ice yet.  12-09-06 Tionesta was iced over.  I can't wait!!!!   
[]

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Dec 12, 2006, 06:42 AM »
It is going to be a bit before we get the weather to turn it all around but the lakes are ready it will not take much.

I used all my deer tags with no ice yet I gutted my kitchen last week I hope I can get it all done before it comes.  Or the wife will not be happy with me.

Snapper

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Dec 12, 2006, 08:10 AM »
i hear that  60 today might have to get the ice breaker out and soft bwater fish :'( :'(  nrrd to keep in touch with the guys in the mountains     mofish

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Dont leave fish to find fish
« Reply #83 on: Dec 12, 2006, 12:39 PM »
Hey if there was anything on beech and Hamilton its gone now. Looks like another suckie year starting off. I just hope it gets cold enough at night to hold some of the ice.
Christopher S Neal
3rd place 2011 NEIT Points Race
1st Place Lilly Lake 2011
1st Place Beechwood Lake 2012

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Dec 12, 2006, 01:28 PM »
I would rather have any existing ice that is here to go away and start from scratch when the cold returns.  We don't want any old honeycombed ice out there.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #85 on: Dec 12, 2006, 03:07 PM »
this warm should give everyone time to fix up what needs fixed. i am now in the process of fixing my 1000 pounds of gear,but there will be cold air coming by christmas mark my words its coming!

Offline pletch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Dec 12, 2006, 03:28 PM »
Beerduck said it, we will be on the ice for Christmas!!!!!!!!!
ice is your friend

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Dec 12, 2006, 04:55 PM »
From Accuweather.  THIS GUY NEEDS SHOT FOR SAYING THIS. :%$#!:  I am optimistic though and can't imagine having a worse year than last year.

Is winter over -- before it even started????
Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Is winter over -- before it even started? That is indeed the question on the lips of many weather weanies in the eastern half to two-thirds of the country. And the answer is ... nah.

That having been said, we are in, and will continue to be in a weather pattern that favors mild weather across most of the country. Colder air will sneak into the northern Plains, northern Rockies and the Pacific Northwest next week, but east of the Mississippi, I see nothing but mild weather right until Christmas week. This pattern will last at least two more weeks, and could run out to four or five or even six weeks. In the extreme, that would take us into January, perhaps into the middle of January. After that, well it seems reasonable to expect some switch in the pattern, and perhaps a switch that would favor more wintry weather across a larger part of the country. But for now, at least to me, it looks like a brown Christmas for a lot of places.

What is causing this pattern? Well, probably El Nino. The kicker is that this El Nino has become stronger than expected. We have known since early summer that an El Nino existed ... that was probably one of the reasons for the lack of hurricane development in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean. And it was thought that the El Nino would linger into and probably through this winter. However, it was thought we would have a weak to moderate El Nino to deal with, and it has turned out to be stronger than that. All El Ninos are different ... just like all of us ... and the thing that so far has made this El Nino different has been the intense parade of storms into the Pacific Northwest. In the past, one characteristic of an El Nino has been for the jet stream to sink southward along the Pacific coast bringing heavy rains to Southern California, but drier-than-normal weather to Washington and Oregon. That certainly has not happened so far. It does appear that there will be a shift southward this weekend and that the Northwest will dry out while So. Calif. can get some rain for the second weekend in a row. Whether or not that signals a consistent shift in the pattern, only time will tell.

Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Dont leave fish to find fish
« Reply #88 on: Dec 12, 2006, 07:50 PM »
From Accuweather.  THIS GUY NEEDS SHOT FOR SAYING THIS. :%$#!:  I am optimistic though and can't imagine having a worse year than last year.

Is winter over -- before it even started????
Tuesday, December 12, 2006
Is winter over -- before it even started? That is indeed the question on the lips of many weather weanies in the eastern half to two-thirds of the country. And the answer is ... nah.

That having been said, we are in, and will continue to be in a weather pattern that favors mild weather across most of the country. Colder air will sneak into the northern Plains, northern Rockies and the Pacific Northwest next week, but east of the Mississippi, I see nothing but mild weather right until Christmas week. This pattern will last at least two more weeks, and could run out to four or five or even six weeks. In the extreme, that would take us into January, perhaps into the middle of January. After that, well it seems reasonable to expect some switch in the pattern, and perhaps a switch that would favor more wintry weather across a larger part of the country. But for now, at least to me, it looks like a brown Christmas for a lot of places.

What is causing this pattern? Well, probably El Nino. The kicker is that this El Nino has become stronger than expected. We have known since early summer that an El Nino existed ... that was probably one of the reasons for the lack of hurricane development in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean. And it was thought that the El Nino would linger into and probably through this winter. However, it was thought we would have a weak to moderate El Nino to deal with, and it has turned out to be stronger than that. All El Ninos are different ... just like all of us ... and the thing that so far has made this El Nino different has been the intense parade of storms into the Pacific Northwest. In the past, one characteristic of an El Nino has been for the jet stream to sink southward along the Pacific coast bringing heavy rains to Southern California, but drier-than-normal weather to Washington and Oregon. That certainly has not happened so far. It does appear that there will be a shift southward this weekend and that the Northwest will dry out while So. Calif. can get some rain for the second weekend in a row. Whether or not that signals a consistent shift in the pattern, only time will tell.

Hey what did they blame last years poor winter on. Looks to me that just want to sound intelligent. The weather is going to happen no matter what they think. Looks like we will be doing some spill way fishing for a couple of weeks.
Christopher S Neal
3rd place 2011 NEIT Points Race
1st Place Lilly Lake 2011
1st Place Beechwood Lake 2012

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #89 on: Dec 12, 2006, 10:13 PM »
that was probably one of the reasons for the lack of hurricane development in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean.

That's funny, earlier this fall they were predicting record number of hurricanes hitting the SE coast...   :woot:

...because of global warming?  Maybe this is causing the weird El Nino that brings wetter weather than expected to the NW?   :whistle:

Jeez... :wacko:
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.