The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: creel limits  (Read 7578 times)

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: creel limits
« Reply #90 on: Feb 18, 2016, 07:50 PM »

creel limit?
GOD BLESS
mo

Box lunch.

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #91 on: Feb 19, 2016, 03:49 AM »
the other white meat
yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmoh

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #92 on: Feb 19, 2016, 03:51 AM »
Box lunch.

There's the beginnings of a delicious dinner. 

Offline iceintioga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Feb 19, 2016, 06:14 AM »
Wow! a lot of opinions on this subject, just as it should be.

Here's my take on it...perhaps this has been brought up in this thread before--didn't read
every post...too many-too little time-sorry if I am repeating.

After seeing the constant rise of the use of electronics over the last 10 years.
(I own a Marcum, myself, but got bored with it-I now use it to show beginners
how fish react to their bait.)

And after watching  person after person, catch and keep countless ,
 legal, but pitiful, undersized fish-especially on Hills Creek--

I am convinced that, perhaps, the use of sonar devices should warrent lowering the daily limit
for those who use such a device while fishing.

Impossible, to enforce- yup, I agree...ok, so I'll make even more of a restriction/regulation addition..
By adding another rule--"Device (sonar) etc) can be used by any youth under the age of 12"
We have similar rules for hunting, pertaing to "youth')

Perhaps 25 with the use of a fishfinding device- 50 without?

I know, I will get all kinds of flack for speaking about this subject--I have heard it all before,

As I said before,I  know this is an impossible thing to enforce...
But I am speaking in a  conceptual semantic way.

Also, in an ethical way--

I, in no way am advocating a law to stop the use of  such devices.
I also don't want to get away from the subject of this thread-"creel limits"
I do think the use of electronics will have an impact on new laws regarding
 the subject in the future.

Good luck everyone-tight lines!
 whether you study fish by dots on a screen..or you fish in a Zen like manner.

iceintioga aka ford

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #94 on: Feb 19, 2016, 06:30 AM »
I have 2 fish finders on my boat...t  take pan fish .not many bass...I think this sport came a long way I have been at it from age 16  I'm 64 now...what is going on is life...you can have all the toys  but you have to make the fish. Bite...it is not drop and pull... Some time the fish have lock jaw....and some times they' bite ... May be we should start hunting with a stick...also...
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Feb 19, 2016, 06:39 AM »
As far as panfish. I think 20 is a reasonable daily max limit.
 All other limits on other fish are fine to me. I really feel some of the fishing has gone down hill some in recent years especially on big name lakes. And I feel it because of the mini boom in ice fishing lately and the good gear now made. Places like this forum that is show and tell fish wise, Hurts places. I have learned to just keep my mouth shut on certain reports. ice conditions and safety is good thing to report on. Pics and telling areas about how you was just slamming them and look at all these fish I caught guys.. Kinda Stuff. And guys who get on a good bite cannot control themselves..

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline iceintioga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Feb 19, 2016, 06:49 AM »
Kov
The fishfinder on your boat is far different than a sonar on the ice, that can show a tiny jig
an inch from a fishes mouth.
Fishing without one is like hunting with a bow, not a stick...

Iron-e
"As far as panfish. I think 20 is a reasonable daily max limit." yup, sounds very reasonable.

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Feb 19, 2016, 07:21 AM »
I agree the electronics have come a long way.BUT I actually think speaking of myself I caught more fish more often back in the day.Ive limited out on nice perch from Lake author large crappies from Wilhelm and many limits of walleye from pymatuning all w/o electronics!!!! In 80's you could troll a hot and tot at pyma and not go 100 yards without catching a walleye and that in between hundreds of boats doing the same thing .I have come to believe the fishing in our lakes have declined (Numbers) that w/o electronics you are at a disadvantage. But I'm willing to bet Al Linder could fish pymatuning with all his goodies on his boat and all his knowledge and he would have a tough time hed catch some fish but struggle.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Feb 19, 2016, 08:02 AM »
All good ideas.
Nothing will change...Its PA.
I think Promised Land Did it right.
Panfish size limit and 25 fish creel limit.
Its become a pretty good panfish lake.
I gotten 15",perch,11" gills,not lots but a few,and a 17" cslico..PB.
I think someone in the fish commision should start studying some lake and do what they did at PL...
Good Luck,Right?????

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Feb 19, 2016, 08:44 AM »
In the special regulation panfish enhancement lakes like Promised land, you can take up to 20 of a single species with a 50 fish total creel limit. The rules in Promised Land are only for the gills and the perch. So you can take 20 gills and 20 perch and still have room for 10 crappie or you can take 50 crappie and none of the others. They are only limiting the # of gills and perch you take out at any one time. Up at Brady's though, they are limiting gills, perch and crappie to 20 each with a 50 fish max creel and on top of that it's a big bass lake too.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Feb 20, 2016, 08:28 AM »
Kov,sell.your Vex buy a Marcum when you get bored with it I'll buy it from you. I will agree fishing was better years ago,big Panfish in many state owned water,Wilhelm,Moraine, Shenago,P.I. Things change we hit those lakes on there peak. A lot less hard water anglers then,but the diehards followed the bite. I had no problem fishing old school then,because that all we knew. Fishing shallow without electronics is not that difficult,but sure would have nice when we fished deep water for suspended crappie. The real problem is that people keep the possible biggest Panfish of the drink population. Example Shenago,pull fish all day,basically not many true keepers,people start keeping the biggest of the dinks, a lot of limits of 8"-9" crappie on the ice,next year same thing,they keep them under control. Years ago I could fish there and bring home 15-20 really big crappie 12-15 inches. Pa. needs some new lakes but where? I really don't have any answers on the Panfish decline,over harvest,over populated,poor gene pool,lakes not fertile,elwive,and the list goes on. I guess I got to start keeping M.C.minnows,or Shenago  9" hogs.lol

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Feb 20, 2016, 10:07 AM »
if your only catching dinks 8 or 9 inch crappies at shenango your doing something wrong!!!!! Yes but ample numbers of 11 inch black crappies that are real thick not those 13 inch thin white crappies. More to do with were your fishing what your using and the weather conditions.Along with knowing the lake.I know a couple of fellows on this forum that know shenango like the back of their hand and they have no trouble catching slabs. They are there and in good numbers. As dumb as I am ive done well there most times.

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Feb 20, 2016, 10:56 AM »
Shenango has three access points so it's real hard to get to the whole lake. Golden run. Swim beach and celery farm. So it's not like there are secrets. Same with Pyme limited to access. Moraine access? Can't be mobile here in pa

Chute82

« Reply #103 on: Feb 20, 2016, 11:11 AM »
Shenango has three access points so it's real hard to get to the whole lake. Golden run. Swim beach and celery farm. So it's not like there are secrets. Same with Pyme limited to access. Moraine access? Can't be mobile here in pa

I'm working on our mobility problem... Building a harness to have my 6 beagles pull us across the ice.  TALLY Ho!!!!!!

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #104 on: Feb 20, 2016, 11:16 AM »
With the ice this year  there are places I would not chance...but that is me...no fish is worth my life...I have things to do and places to go....just cleaned all things up till next year ,,I have a friend in NY...he wants me to come up to ice fish...now but I'm passing  this year...be safe tight lines...and I'm not selling my Vex...
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #105 on: Feb 20, 2016, 11:53 AM »
If not seek trade for deer sausage? Kilbasi! A deal can be made

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Feb 20, 2016, 12:13 PM »
Jarhead not being a smart ars,but 10 11" fish out of a hundred is not ample numbers. Yes I can still bring a mess home but the 95 percent of the fish are small. Another thing not started any trouble I know that lake well and have fish it since it was made. And yes I've had the lake " PRO" walk out and punch a hole  5 feet from me and keep 8" black crappie. I'm not preaching at the size fish anyone keeps,but will tell I know and 11" crappie from a 9",the tip of my thumb to the tip of my little finger is 9" not 11"

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Feb 22, 2016, 10:20 AM »
I didn't say 10 (number) of 11 inch fish out of 100 I said 10 inch or 11 inch fat black crappies no matter the number aren't dinks. those are thick crappies.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Feb 22, 2016, 11:14 AM »
I SAID 10 fish out of hundred suit me. That's about what I get,I don't keep crappie unless there 10" and if I'm into slabs 11" up is better. I personally don't feel 8"-9".crappie are worth keeping. Hey but that's me.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #109 on: Feb 23, 2016, 10:49 AM »
I have a lot of family friends that like those 8 and 9" fish.They dont like there fish filleted and would rather eat the smaller ones. They say the meat is fresher as it hasn't been in the lake 7 to 8 years like those 11 to 13" fish have. My kids like their fish filleted so if i get into a school of fat nines, some are goin in the grease, especially during ice season. I can catch a ton of 11" fish in open water where my access isn't totally limited to foot travel.

Offline HooKEDUP24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Feb 23, 2016, 12:30 PM »
Daily limit is one thing, but there is also a strain on the panfish stock by people that fish 200+ days a year and only keep 10-20 panfish at a time.  I talked to a man on Promised Land about five years ago and he boasted taking home 1972 bluegill/perch in one year.  Lowering the daily creel would not have an affect on this type of harvesting. 
Ice Fishing Marathoner

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Feb 25, 2016, 07:48 AM »
10 percent of fishermen catch 90 percent of the fish. Just saying I've known people to claim to keep 1500- 2000 crappie a year. That's a pile of fillets. 

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #112 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:12 AM »
same guys seen bigfoot listening to elvis  and a ufo flew them to the ice..to sit and jig with santa and the easter bunny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.