The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: To vex or not to vex. That is the question!  (Read 14000 times)

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: To vex or not to vex. That is the question!
« Reply #60 on: Feb 17, 2014, 06:38 PM »
Maybe what really makes a fisherman great is not his ability to use technology to make him better, but to master his own ability til he has the confidence to say he doesn't feel he needs to become any better. Don't get me wrong... I enjoy the technology or I would never have been able to start this thread. I just don't feel that I need any type of sonar to make me better. My personal limit is 20 to 30 fish/trip. That's enough to clean at one time. I get 2 meals outta that for my family. One to eat fresh and one for the freezer. I do that pretty much every time I go out. No sonars needed. I can understand the guys that use em for the thrill of the screen lighting up when a fish comes for his last bite. I will admit there is a bit of a thrill watching it happen. But to say one needs it to become a better fisherman? That sounds naive to me!! As someone pointed out, "the guy doesn't know how to catch fish! It's not that the flasher didn't help him." It's an interesting point because weather or not the guy can catch fish or not we may never know. But let's say he can't. The only thing that's gonna help him get better is honing his skills as a fisherman. It's funny. When a guy uses a sonar unit and doesn't do very well, they say well it was a slow day or that guy can't catch fish. But when you light em up you say oh I couldn't have done it without my flasher!!! Come on guys!!! Have a little faith in yourselves. Everybody has the potential

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Feb 17, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Sorry about the double post. I hit the wrong button by mistake!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:10 PM »
The reason I use my flasher even in shallow water is this! My son and I where fishing last Thursday in 9 fow, getting gills all day,they would come off the bottom and chase till about 5.5 fow,the bigger(at least I think would hit) the smaller or less active fish would sink down,then at dusk crappies came in and we put on a show,they where only 2.5- 3 fow under the ice. In the 30 minute flurry 31 slabs where iced. I don't think a guy without a flasher would have caught one,because he would be fishing under them. I fished 40 years without one and always got fish,the last 14 years with the Vex has been FUN and I still always get fish,now I know what there doing and how they react to certain things. No the average guy that goes ice fishing twice a year does not need one,or a power auger,of 8 boxes of ice jigs,15 jig rods,15 tip-ups or all the rest of the crap we buy. This really isn't a p---ing contest,it's just an opinion if you like old school go for it,I'm not telling you or anyone to buy a Vex or anything else,you fish your way and Me and a lot of other guy's will fish our way. Yes I CAN GO OLD SCHOOL and still get fish,but I CHOOSE NOT TO. Lets all get along and ice fish,not many days left till its gone.

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
« Reply #63 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:15 PM »
An example for nuango...this past Saturday, using a fl18, I set tipups for myself and another guy, locating a channel in shallow water, in record time I might add...then drilled to locate a channel nearby in deeper water, 10-11fow...we did very well on the perch right away,and stayed on them hopping around the rest of the day.we did this drilling minimal holes, and all the tipups in the channel located by the vex produced.that's an example of how a marcum or vex guy, who knows how to use it, will out fish those who don't use one for whatever reason.just sayin...tight lines!
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Maybe what really makes a fisherman great is not his ability to use technology to make him better, but to master his own ability til he has the confidence to say he doesn't feel he needs to become any better. Don't get me wrong... I enjoy the technology or I would never have been able to start this thread. I just don't feel that I need any type of sonar to make me better. My personal limit is 20 to 30 fish/trip. That's enough to clean at one time. I get 2 meals outta that for my family. One to eat fresh and one for the freezer. I do that pretty much every time I go out. No sonars needed. I can understand the guys that use em for the thrill of the screen lighting up when a fish comes for his last bite. I will admit there is a bit of a thrill watching it happen. But to say one needs it to become a better fisherman? That sounds naive to me!! As someone pointed out, "the guy doesn't know how to catch fish! It's not that the flasher didn't help him." It's an interesting point because weather or not the guy can catch fish or not we may never know. But let's say he can't. The only thing that's gonna help him get better is honing his skills as a fisherman. It's funny. When a guy uses a sonar unit and doesn't do very well, they say well it was a slow day or that guy can't catch fish. But when you light em up you say oh I couldn't have done it without my flasher!!! Come on guys!!! Have a little faith in yourselves. Everybody has the potential
you have learned all there is about fishing you have no room for improvement or the desire to ,therefor you are correct you do not need electronics you can not get any better I apologize for insulting you

Offline Phosphorus Bromide

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 17, 2014, 09:37 PM »
Flashers don't help me much. If you are in deep water, work the hole through the entire column.  I've seen folks waste way too much time over a hole, excited cuz they have a blip, trying to get a "looker" to hit. If the fish is there, and he's going to hit, he'll hit. These are also WAAAAAYYY Overpriced for the 1960's technology you're getting for your money too... If you want one, get one. If you don't, you'll survive, and you'll catch fish, sometimes more than those with flashers, sometimes less.

Offline Farmboy2750

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 17, 2014, 09:49 PM »
The reason I bought a vexilar was to help me find depth a lot faster, it has helped me find fish floating in the water column also.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Feb 18, 2014, 04:06 AM »
Huckster ......    do you use a hand line?   ;D

This thread has kind of run its' course  ::)   ....  and to go way back to my first post when i said "to each their own".

We can all fish exactly the way we want  ......   until our government makes flashers mandatory for all  ::)   (that was a joke by the way!)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:03 AM »
Ship of fools... No I don't use a hand line. I scoop until all the water is out of the hole and then I just grab them with my bare hands.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:06 AM »
Ship of fools... No I don't use a hand line. I scoop until all the water is out of the hole and then I just grab them with my bare hands.

nice ......   and when they get away you dive in after them   @)

i fish Lake George in the Adirondacks a lot and have always said it is a shame to have such gorgeous views all around me and yet i spend all day staring at a 4 inch screen so i do understand your point   ;)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:44 AM »
Well chez, I sat with a guy who fished with one and he showed me exactly how it worked and what the jig looked like and when a fish came to check it out and.... To my amazement.... He even caught a nice perch right before my very eyes!!! However.... I'll always remember before walking off the ice with a limit of gills( panfish enhancement lake limit of 20 per specie) and 4 big perch, the count for that fellow was 6 perch and three barely legal bluegills and he was already on the ice when I showed up there. So although Iv never personally stuck one down any of my holes, I'm not totally ignorant to how they work contrary to what everyone seems to think.

I never said anyone was {IGNORANT]You seem to have taken my post very defensively.If you dont like a FLASHER {DONT USE ONE}In my first post on this topick i said.[ANYONE WHO SITS AT A HOLE FOR OVER A HOUR WITH OUT A BITE  AND DONT MOVE,IS LAZY.I never said IGNORANT.Im glad you outfished the guy on the ice but,He knew more than you what was under the ice.EVEN THOUGH you caught more.The flasher dont promise you fish.It lets you know whats under the ice and how the fish react to your bait.I like a flasher you dont.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:12 AM »
To quote and old R and B song ," It's your thing ; do what you wanna do!". If you're not having fun you shouldn't be fishing. I like to eat fresh fish and usually keep enough for two meals. My fishing time is limited and often involves a healthy drive. My flasher maximizes my time on the ice and helps me come home with the goods, and I enjoy using it. That's all folks!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #72 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:59 AM »
Well chez, I sat with a guy who fished with one and he showed me exactly how it worked and what the jig looked like and when a fish came to check it out and.... To my amazement.... He even caught a nice perch right before my very eyes!!! However.... I'll always remember before walking off the ice with a limit of gills( panfish enhancement lake limit of 20 per specie) and 4 big perch, the count for that fellow was 6 perch and three barely legal bluegills and he was already on the ice when I showed up there. So although Iv never personally stuck one down any of my holes, I'm not totally ignorant to how they work contrary to what everyone seems to think.

What state are you fishing in?  The reason I ask is because there is MINIMUM LENGTH for pan fish in Pennsylvania.  Beyond that, why did you even put up this post since you obviously already have your mind made up.  It seems like you did this for no other reason than starting a p*ssing match and p*ssing people off by enticing comments only to tell the person who put up a post with their opinion that they're wrong.  In my books that's the actions of a TROLL, a person who puts up BS posts to stir the pot, starts arguments, and gets offensive when people don't agree with their opinion for their own entertainment.  You have your opinion and the other people have theirs, if you don't like them don't bait them into commenting by putting up these crap posts.  There are a lot of great people on here and not all of agree all the time but that's life and we accept that.  Oh and by the way my vote is to use the Marcum Showdown Dual Beam.   ;D

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:30 AM »
there is no min length on pan fish were I fish in pa

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 18, 2014, 11:35 AM »
 ;D flashers! Flashers are so good, you'll smack yer grandma... ;) in the spirit of ice fishing, I quoted an ice cube movie...

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #75 on: Feb 18, 2014, 12:55 PM »
Icewagon, we get the fact that you don't like or want to use a flasher and that is fine.  NO ONE said you can't fish or can't afford one.  If you CHOOSE to fish without one that is your CHOICE and the right way for you to fish.  I have been ice fishing since 1996 and didn't have my Showdown, or flasher as you would call it, until 2012 and caught lots of fish over the years.  A lot of people here use flashers, love them, and wouldn't fish without one while others like yourself don't use or like them.  Neither group is right since it's a matter of personal preference.  It's just like augers, some like gas, propane, electric, and hand crankers, no one is right and no one is wrong it's what YOU LIKE and what works for you.  My point is don't start a p*ssing match and then get you lines in a knot when other people give their opinion and you don't agree with it.  If you're happy that's all that matters and accept the fact that people don't agree with you.

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Feb 18, 2014, 01:52 PM »
Flashers don't help me much. If you are in deep water, work the hole through the entire column
And I can check the entire water column for fish in ten holes by the time you have blindly covered the entire water column in one hole. And you still have no idea if there are fish there or not, are you also going to go through all the posible color combinations the fish might want IF they are there................. ..............                   ...................... .
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Feb 19, 2014, 07:47 AM »
Icewagon, we get the fact that you don't like or want to use a flasher and that is fine.  NO ONE said you can't fish or can't afford one.  If you CHOOSE to fish without one that is your CHOICE and the right way for you to fish.  I have been ice fishing since 1996 and didn't have my Showdown, or flasher as you would call it, until 2012 and caught lots of fish over the years.  A lot of people here use flashers, love them, and wouldn't fish without one while others like yourself don't use or like them.  Neither group is right since it's a matter of personal preference.  It's just like augers, some like gas, propane, electric, and hand crankers, no one is right and no one is wrong it's what YOU LIKE and what works for you.  My point is don't start a p*ssing match and then get you lines in a knot when other people give their opinion and you don't agree with it.  If you're happy that's all that matters and accept the fact that people don't agree with you.

YOU 100% RIGHT CHRIS. :) :tipup:

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:03 AM »
Well put, Byron...and goin thru the dif colors def adds to time spent at a hole.then if ya can't figure them out you look like this  ???

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:10 AM »
The reason I use my flasher even in shallow water is this! My son and I where fishing last Thursday in 9 fow, getting gills all day,they would come off the bottom and chase till about 5.5 fow,the bigger(at least I think would hit) the smaller or less active fish would sink down,then at dusk crappies came in and we put on a show,they where only 2.5- 3 fow under the ice. In the 30 minute flurry 31 slabs where iced. I don't think a guy without a flasher would have caught one,because he would be fishing under them. I fished 40 years without one and always got fish,the last 14 years with the Vex has been FUN and I still always get fish,now I know what there doing and how they react to certain things. No the average guy that goes ice fishing twice a year does not need one,or a power auger,of 8 boxes of ice jigs,15 jig rods,15 tip-ups or all the rest of the crap we buy. This really isn't a p---ing contest,it's just an opinion if you like old school go for it,I'm not telling you or anyone to buy a Vex or anything else,you fish your way and Me and a lot of other guy's will fish our way. Yes I CAN GO OLD SCHOOL and still get fish,but I CHOOSE NOT TO. Lets all get along and ice fish,not many days left till its gone.

YOUR RIGHT ON THE MONEY CAPTAIN 54 AGAIN.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:12 AM »
GOOD POINT BYRON.

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:22 AM »
20% of the guys catch 80% of the fish!  Most of the time

But 92.4% of statistics are usually made up.

Offline t.conway712

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Feb 19, 2014, 10:23 AM »
I like my fl-8

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Feb 19, 2014, 10:48 AM »
Amen! FL-18...

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Feb 19, 2014, 11:40 AM »
AMEN again,Thats what i use.I love the bottom 6' zoom.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Feb 19, 2014, 11:45 AM »
This topic is getting old  ;)2

Offline beavercountybob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Feb 19, 2014, 03:10 PM »
I fish with an underwater camera everytime out and one mistake I see allot of guys with vexs make is moving to quick to there next hole. Not allowing things to settle down. Most of the time when me or my fishing partner walks around on the ice to take a leak or get a flag, all those fish that were on the camera scatter and it takes some time for fish to move back into the area. Except for some dink gills. Then I'll talk to these same guys later that day n the only reports they'll have is for smaller fish. However in the right hands, in my opinion flashers can help you catch way more fish. That's why I recently ordered a showdown dual beam. So maybe u didn't have to check all ten of those holes that quick. Just sayin. By the way I fish in 14fow or less maybe this don't matter in deeper water.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Feb 20, 2014, 07:32 AM »
I fish with an underwater camera everytime out and one mistake I see allot of guys with vexs make is moving to quick to there next hole. Not allowing things to settle down. Most of the time when me or my fishing partner walks around on the ice to take a leak or get a flag, all those fish that were on the camera scatter and it takes some time for fish to move back into the area. Except for some dink gills. Then I'll talk to these same guys later that day n the only reports they'll have is for smaller fish. However in the right hands, in my opinion flashers can help you catch way more fish. That's why I recently ordered a showdown dual beam. So maybe u didn't have to check all ten of those holes that quick. Just sayin. By the way I fish in 14fow or less maybe this don't matter in deeper water.

What you posted BEAVERCOUNTYBOB make since to me.

Offline iceintioga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:08 AM »
Sheesh! You wouldn't think that this thread would lead to where it's gone.

It is not a challenge to users, or nonusers to say why you do, or do not use a fish finder.

My personal opinion:
I do believe, that like any other modern "tool",  they can hurt what we all are trying to enhance,
and need to be used wisely.   Just my personal opinion. We are all free to decide for ourselves.

World pros in our sport, apparently believe in the nonuse of modern technology,
in their tournaments. ( btw- The USA team won in 2010, and 2013.)

from --  http://www.usaiceteam.com/history/   
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 World Ice Fishing Championship (WIFC) rules, and partial regulations:

"The WIFC is not your typical ice fishing tournament. It is a true test of one’s skill, determination and endurance.
FIPS-ed, the governing body of the WIFC, has established rules to this end.

For instance, power augers or electronics of any kind are not allowed.

The fishers must rely on intuition, research, stamina and experience to find and catch fish.
They must use physical power and skill when drilling through thick ice with hand augers."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the super bowl of icefishing, not some oldschool, backwards thinking organization.

Some agree with this, and some don't.

I know, I know, we are recreationl fishermen, and all about how little time we have to fish,
and have read all the arguments, for and against.

I said that to say this:
The above was quoted to be used as food for critical thought, by those for, and against.
...and not with pursuasive intent.

Fight nice boys and girls....We are all in this icefishing thing together.

Stay on top......

ford

icewagon

« Reply #89 on: Feb 20, 2014, 04:18 PM »
You are correct Ford , we would not want to emulate our skills from the best ice fishers in the world , emphatically no.  :cookoo: We should strive to hone our skills to a lesser degree of satisfaction. :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.