The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: To vex or not to vex. That is the question!  (Read 13998 times)

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
To vex or not to vex. That is the question!
« on: Feb 14, 2014, 12:28 PM »
To vex or not to vex? That is the question! Iv been icefishing for almost 30 yrs. never used vexilar or sonar and always caught fish. A lot of guys swear by them but I disagree. I drill a lot of holes and stay on the move targeting fish that are on the feed. Iv watched a vex fisherman stay at one hole for an hr with no fish!!! His vex probably showed fish that were not feeding. Shortly after, I walked off with a limit. Just my opinion fellas but the thrill of the chase to find fish is half the reason Iv loved this sport my whole life! Maybe I'm just old school but a real icefisherman doesn't need technology to catch fish! Just my opinion. Sorry.... I'm sure this post will get some people excited. Don't mean to disrespect anyone. Again.... Just a man and his thoughts...... And a freezer full of fillets that should get me through till next season!

Offline kickstart

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: To vex or not to vex. That is the question!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2014, 12:55 PM »
Vex gets my vote! fished 25 years without,and fished 10 yrs with one! to me it makes finding the fish a little bit easier!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2014, 12:59 PM »
To each their own   ;)

Me ....  i catch more fish with a flasher ....  no question about it  ::)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline tackleshack

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner of Tackle Shack
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:09 PM »
To vex or not to vex? That is the question! Iv been icefishing for almost 30 yrs. never used vexilar or sonar and always caught fish. A lot of guys swear by them but I disagree. I drill a lot of holes and stay on the move targeting fish that are on the feed. Iv watched a vex fisherman stay at one hole for an hr with no fish!!! His vex probably showed fish that were not feeding. Shortly after, I walked off with a limit. Just my opinion fellas but the thrill of the chase to find fish is half the reason Iv loved this sport my whole life! Maybe I'm just old school but a real icefisherman doesn't need technology to catch fish! Just my opinion. Sorry.... I'm sure this post will get some people excited. Don't mean to disrespect anyone. Again.... Just a man and his thoughts...... And a freezer full of fillets that should get me through till next season!

To each his own I'd say.  A guy with a vex on the move targeting active fish definitely has an advantage over a guy just on the move targeting active fish. Will he catch more?  Maybe, maybe not. Like you said, seeing fish doesn't mean they are always fish that are feeding.  There's definitely more to catching them than just seeing fish

Similarly, I've watched guys with and without flashers sit over a hole for hours and catch nothing.  I've watched guys with and without flashers sit over 1 hole and catch them one right after another (I've even been lucky enough to be that guy a few times lol).  I've seen guys move all over and catch nothing too.

Understanding fish habits and movements, means a lot with or without a flasher.  I think more than anything, every time you go out, you have to learn a little more about the fish and in the long run experience pays off.  Electronics just help ease the learning curve.  Being able to eliminate fishless waters fast is a huge advantage for sure.

Overall, I think guys that understand the electronics and the fish are probably the most productive on the ice (and in the open water for that matter).  That unfortunately, is not me, but I can't imagine ice fishing without my flasher anymore.  Especially when we only have a few hours to get out.  For me its definitely helped me to be more productive.

Don
Don Kelly

Tackle Shack
9683 Route 287
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-5138
[email protected]
www.wellsborotacklesha ck.com

Shop Online anytime at www.shoptackleshack.co m

Like us on Facebook- www.facebook.com/wellsborotackleshack

Follow us on Twitter
@TackleShackPA

Follow us on Instagram
@Wellsborotackleshack #tackleshack #fishtiogacounty

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:10 PM »
you would have had 2 freezers full with a vex but a vex does not fix stupid

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:13 PM »
I did not mean you I ment the guy who sits over 1 hole for an  hour wit no fish with or with out a flasher.

Offline THEcrappieslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • #FISHON
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:16 PM »
If I didn't have a vex I wouldn't be ice fishin. That is all I have to say
All I DO IS CATCH IS FISH. "ALL NIGHT LONG"

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:19 PM »
in my opinion the only ones to question the use of a flasher is the one without.i don't know if I ever heard of anyone that has had one and sold it to go old school.i don't know anyone hat sold there auger to go old school spoon either.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:22 PM »
If I didn't have a vex I wouldn't be ice fishin. That is all I have to say

even with a Marcum or Humminbird??   ;D  ::)  :o

sorry .....  i had to say it   @)   ...  surprised it took five or six posts!

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:49 PM »
1. You can still move with a vex. just because others do not does not mean you cannot.  I run & gun all of the time and I use a vex.  If the fish are not there move.  You’ll never know if the fish are there or not without a flasher.  They could very well be there and you just need to change something about what you are doing.

2. With a flasher you can see where fish are at in the water column you cannot with a camera or just by fishing you cannot.  I was fishing 15 f.o.w. it was loaded up with crappies they were all 5 to 10 feet below the ice.  The only thing that was in the bottom 3/3 feet of the water were small gills.   

3. With a flasher you can see how fish react you your lure and or presentation which tell you to change color, size, presentation, or to move on.  Without a flasher you have no idea if fish are there or not there.  If you need to change you game or move locations.

4. With a flasher you can find weeds, bottom structure, and other things like brush in seconds even if they are not right under you hole.   

If you fish a lot enough to make it worth spending the money on one and you have the means to get one.  Well you’re fishing blind without one.  If you fish a few days here and there I would not spend the money.  There are too many advantages and I cannot think of any disadvantage other than the cost.  I’m with him, if my vex/flasher went bad I would not fish until I got it fixed or a new one.  It is essential tool to maximize your outing.     

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:55 PM »
That's like asking a bowhunter; to treestand or not to treestand? And then going and making the argument that plenty of deer are shot by bowhunters that are on the ground...........which is true, but most seasoned hunters would agree that your odds go up considerbly by using a treestand.

But, since you already seem convinced, I'll make a proposition; You pick the lake, I'll show up with a flasher and use it, you fish without a flasher, we each use one jigging rod, we bet $100.00 on who catches the most fish in a three hour period, loser pays the other persons gas bill in addition to the $100.00........any lake you want.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Basspunker182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:57 PM »
I was always 'that guy' regarding flashers. EHHH who needs it?! Sure I always caught them without a flasher, but every year I found myself trying to save enough money to buy one. Finally I bought one this year and put all that doubt behind me. Definitely worth the money and will put more fish on the ice.

BTW, no vex here, im a Marcum man  :thumbsup:

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2014, 02:32 PM »
H

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2014, 02:42 PM »
Huckster has a valid point, but I just think it's more fun with a vex, or whatever brand.
Leave it better than you found it

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2014, 02:44 PM »
I started to say before I hit the wrong key,  Huckster I have ice fished 40 plus yrs. and said the same thing you have said until I got into a tournament with my son about 5 yrs ago,and he tought me a thing or two about fishing and catching fish. We were 5' apart and when I saw how much more productive you can be well I just had to have one. Now I would rather forget my fishing rods than my vex. It's a whole new game with electronics, and after all I think we all have like to catch more fish.  ( I didn't say keep more fish I said catch more fish)

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Sounds like I hit a nerve Byron. I knew that someone would post something stupid. I never bet. I'm not a betting man. Besides, you probably couldn't afford to fill my truck with fuel! You spent all your money on a flasher!!!! You are right about one thing though. Tree stands are the way to go! Thanks don for the down to earth response! To each his own and experience is key.

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2014, 04:02 PM »
vex period!

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2014, 05:21 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again.. If our not fishing with a flasher you are fishin blind and don't even know it...

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2014, 05:27 PM »
  I'd put my money on Byron. LOL  ;D The man can fish! Anyway, I started out almost 40 years ago with a Lowrance Green Box Flasher, been fishing with some type of flasher/graph ever since. Currently have a Vex FL8 - FL18 and a Marcum LX7, Plus the Lowrance I could pull off the boat in an emergency. Can I fish old school? yea. But I prefer to have the proper information, are there fish present, are they aggressive. If not, what do I have to change to make them bite. Just my opinion.
Jim K.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2014, 05:40 PM »
I would say it depends what your fishing for huckster. For gills no vex. If your targeting suspended crappies in deep water. Some type of electronics would give you an advantage. Im some what old school myself. I do take my humminbird fishin buddy. And I only fish areas I mark fish. I dont sit N look at the screen all day. Like those vex guys. That would take all the fun out of it. I catch plenty of fish to eat N throw some back. Properly placed tree stands do give an archer an advantage. But i have shot plenty from the ground too.

Offline treesparrow1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2014, 05:57 PM »
I like my vex! Just like when I used my camera it has taught me a lot. Sometimes they just will not bite. If you get just a smudge of a currant flow can change everything. I also watch my barometer and so lunar table. Fish move and you have to be where they are to catch them. That is where a fella with lots of local experience excels. Now my son wants to know what my screen is showing but hates staring at it all day, in fact refuses to use a sonar unit. He also has young very good reflexes for hooking fish on jigs. He consistently out fishes me, even though I see the fish approaching. Its all fun and a challenge and to each his own. 

Offline shiver318

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2014, 06:03 PM »
Ice fished with my dad for over forty years and after his passing I took a few years off. Now back into it with my vex fishing nephew thinking I'd never need a flasher but after comparing his fish pile with mine the last couple weekends! Yep, you guessed it, used all my Xmas gift certificates and it should be here next week!! May the ice last till the end of March!

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Right on capt crappie! I could see that givin you an advantage in deep water targeting suspending crappies. And I also have done well from my ground blind hunting. The electronics are just not for me. Just my preference. As you said... It kinda takes the fun out of it. Almost everybody posting seems to think one can't catch fish without it.... Byron May be a great fisherman but so am I as well as most people on this site. Just remember that on any given day, the worst fisherman can catch more fish than the best fisherman. Just wondering what's the advantage in 3fow? Transducer in the mudd? I don't claim to be the best fisherman, but after 30 years, I'm pretty sure I can hold my own. Without electronics.

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:05 PM »
To continue this discussion Flashers are old school units now have split screens flasher one side LCD on the other.Have an Elie-5 Lowrance if you fish with one you will think the the vexs marcums ect are ancient history!!!!! Not a bias opinion I had a fl-18 for many years now then a hummingbird ICE-55 this year I got the elie-5 its really super seeing both screens not just lines on a flasher. Everybody thinks what they have is the best but since using all 3 that I own the Lowrance wins hands down!!!!

Jarhead(Bill)

Offline fryguy75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2014, 09:10 PM »
I love my vex.  Has helped me learn/catch fish.  Wouldn't hit the ice without one.  If it was broken or lost, you can bet that I would purchase a new one immediately.
ice...ice...baby

Offline 2sammich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2014, 06:38 AM »
I think it has a lot to do with the depth and size of the lake, and type of fish you are after.  I am normally ice fishing lakes less than 20ft. In most cases, you are fishing just off the bottom. But if fishing larger, deeper water, say for lake trout, I would think electronics would be huge. I am a 40yr no electronics ice fisherman....But think if I were fishing lake george for lakers, the guy with electronics would probably outfish me....
 2 cents from 2sammich

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2014, 06:49 AM »
Right on capt crappie! I could see that givin you an advantage in deep water targeting suspending crappies. And I also have done well from my ground blind hunting. The electronics are just not for me. Just my preference. As you said... It kinda takes the fun out of it. Almost everybody posting seems to think one can't catch fish without it.... Byron May be a great fisherman but so am I as well as most people on this site. Just remember that on any given day, the worst fisherman can catch more fish than the best fisherman. Just wondering what's the advantage in 3fow? Transducer in the mudd? I don't claim to be the best fisherman, but after 30 years, I'm pretty sure I can hold my own. Without electronics.
                                                     I agree totally!!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 15, 2014, 07:02 AM »
I think it has a lot to do with the depth and size of the lake, and type of fish you are after.  I am normally ice fishing lakes less than 20ft. In most cases, you are fishing just off the bottom. But if fishing larger, deeper water, say for lake trout, I would think electronics would be huge. I am a 40yr no electronics ice fisherman....But think if I were fishing lake george for lakers, the guy with electronics would probably outfish me....
 2 cents from 2sammich

On a day with a good laker bite on George i would outfish someone without a flasher 10-1  ;)  I have a friend who swears by tipups (i swear at tipups in 100' of water  ;D) and i have always said to him if he had a flag i'll get one jigging before he lands his ....  and i always have  @)

With tipups there is no need for a flasher ......  otherwise you will definitely catch more fish .....  even if just for the simple fact that you know when to be on the ball because a fish is looking at your offering and you won't miss a light bite.

But again ..... to each their own. I use a hand auger because i don't want to blow $400 plus on a power auger but it sure would be nice.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2014, 08:06 AM »
I been icefishing over 40 years  most with out a VEX...I did catch fish most outings and some times a lot of fish...because I knew the lake...and I knew the weed beds  where they were ...but  not knowing a lake  it helps  more than without one....I would  not fish with out one...I catch more  fish now  than without one  seeing the. Fish  4 feet under the ice. And empty 9 feet. Under  them. Fishing  a foot off the bottom.  And keep moving up a foot at a time to try to find the fish..a lot of  time fishing with out  seeing where  the fish are not saying you will get them to bite..but have a better chance ...for the bite...I sound holes  for tip ups  as old school ..but jigging. The Vex is the trick to put more fish in the freezer.... Tight lines be safe... Great  sport for us. Crazy ones  as some call us....p
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2014, 08:44 AM »
I would not fish without my Vex!!!   Good enough for Dave Genz  , good enough for me.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.